View Full Version : Business Name Feedback

bgj20
09-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Hello,

I am new to this forum and it is great to read through many of the threads.

I am starting a new company and I would like a some opinions of this business name 'MetaData Media'. We do custom Theme development, Search Engine Optimization, Paid Search Marketing and Custom Mobile App Development.

Do you like it? Would the name fit for our services? Would it motivate you to find out more about our services?

Thanks for all your feedback!!

Harold Mansfield
09-13-2016, 01:49 PM
Hello,

I am new to this forum and it is great to read through many of the threads.

I am starting a new company and I would like a some opinions of this business name 'MetaData Media'. We do custom Theme development, Search Engine Optimization, Paid Search Marketing and Custom Mobile App Development.

Do you like it? Would the name fit for our services? Would it motivate you to find out more about our services?

When people are looking for services the name is secondary to the website, their reviews, the services they offer, the price, customer service, and so on.

Focus less on trying to find that one great name, and more on building that great company. Choose a name that you want to brand, maybe says something about what you do or who you are. If you can find something "cool", fine go for it. And of course you want to stay away from cumbersome, confusing, protected or just all around bad names. After the name is chosen, you have to get to work branding and marketing it. The name alone won't do that for you. The name alone won't mean anything to anyone. It's what's behind it that matters.

damienzero
09-13-2016, 03:33 PM
I completely agree with Harold Mansfield the name alone won't mean anything to anyone. It's what's behind it that matters. But, to answer your questions I will critique your name.

Do you like it? I do, it's catchy and I personally like names that start with the same letters, in your case m.

Would the name fit for our services? It would, although when I hear the word media I always think about social media. Will your business services also offer social media marketing?

Would it motivate you to find out more about our services? I am interested to learn more about any business that contains the word media. Why, because media is an extremely powerful word. But, once I choose to look into a business the name becomes irreverent, now what I want to see is what can that business do for me.

Business Attorney
09-13-2016, 06:10 PM
Personally, the name doesn't appeal to me because "metadata" creates a picture of a business in my mind that doesn't seem consistent with the services you propose to provide. Although metadata on web pages may still have some relevance to SEO, I tend to think of the detailed information in photos, spreadsheets or Word documents that are buried in the electronic file.

For what it's worth, I wrote an article on tips for choosing a business name: 7 Tips to Help You Name Your New Business :: Illinois Business Attorney (http://www.illinoisbusinessattorney.com/articles/naming-your-new-business.html) Your name seems to meet many of the tips but it just doesn't register well with me.

I agree with Harold that the company is more important than the name, but I do think that some people put too little thought into the name. Some names use such generic words that branding can be difficult; if your name seems pretty much like the name of many other companies in your industry, setting yourself apart can be tough. If your name has a geographic component that you soon outgrow, your name can send the message that your area of service doesn't cover the customers you are seeking. There are many other mistakes people can make. So I think coming up with a good name in the beginning IS important.

bgj20
09-19-2016, 06:58 PM
Appreciate the responses!

sassydes
09-20-2016, 11:08 AM
It is not the name that matters. "Facebook", "Apple", EBay, are good examples of the fact that the name itself is irrelevant compared to how that name is branded.

Sarah K
09-21-2016, 11:41 PM
I like it, business names that have multiple words that both start with the same letter, like "M" flow well when a person says it or reads it. Since it's all online though, it will be more about any reviews your business has, the content of your page, and where you are marketing it. What you're offering and the prices will have a big impact obviously, but the name sounds professional enough.

acentius
10-02-2016, 01:12 AM
Sounds good, but before registering it you should make sure that it is available on all the social media platforms and websites such as themeforest (if you'll be selling your themes there).

Krystsina
10-03-2016, 02:43 AM

I'm probably going to be the only one here who doesn't really like the name. It is my personal opinion, but it is too generic and "grey". However, it is quite easy to understand what your services are, and I think it is very important. But I have to agree that the name doesn't really matter so much, it matters what you do and how you do it.