PDA

View Full Version : Online Sales Tax

magicman
08-02-2009, 10:48 PM
OK, I understand that I have to only collect/charge my counties sales tax on online sales that ship to my state.

When paying sales tax, do I separate this from my other sales in this county or does this go into the amount of money I sold in the county?

Do I have to report sales made to other states?

vangogh
08-02-2009, 11:33 PM
I don't think you'll have to report on sales made to other states. Only for your state when collecting sales tax for your state.

billbenson
08-03-2009, 02:00 AM
In Florida, I file quarterly. Real short. Just sales and taxable sales. For me thats usually quarterly sales and 0 taxable as my sales are either out of state or tax exempt, usually both.

magicman
08-03-2009, 10:13 AM
So I still put down the out of state sales, but don't have to pay sales tax on them? I know it still goes into income tax.

Evan
08-04-2009, 07:51 AM
It depends on what the form asks for. If it asks for "Quarterly Sales", and then provides another line for "Taxable Sales", then put the respective amounts. But if it's only asking for one number, and is then multiplying it by the tax rate -- put only what was taxable. So if you had $1,000 in quarterly sales, but only $900 were taxable at 10%, report $900 x .10 = $90 tax. Write a check to the state, and mail it off.

magicman
08-05-2009, 01:58 PM
I just read that online stores only have to collect sales tax if they have a physical presence. I will be operating out of my house, there is no store that people can go to.

Sales Tax on the Internet (http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/objectID/87F6DD43-E6F2-4DFE-BCDB8E2E85DFF80B/111/277/167/ART/)

Do I have to collect sales tax at my online store?

Evan
08-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Your physical presence is in New York State, specifically your county... and wherever it is you are located.

If you are delivering an item to NYS, sales tax must be withheld. Tax is based on the shipping destination, not necessarily where the buyer is from.

Two examples:

1) I'm a RI resident, but have a business address in NYS. I buy an item from you and tell you to ship it to NYS. My billing address will be RI, but I want you to ship to NYS. Sales tax is collected.

2) I am a NYS resident, but have a business address in RI. I buy an item from you and tell you to ship it to Maine. My billing address is NYS, but the sale is being shipped OUT OF THE STATE. Sales tax is NOT collected.