PDA

View Full Version : Worker's Comp for trade shows??

theDIfellas
07-31-2009, 03:39 AM
Hope I put this in the right section.

I tried googling for this stuff but couldn't find anything other than worker's comp for temp hiring agencies. My business partner said we'd need to cover everyone at the show with worker's comp. Do you guys have experience with this? Thank you.

vangogh
07-31-2009, 03:50 AM
I moved the thread to legal & HR. Seemed like a better fit.

Just guessing here, but I would think as long as you're employing people at the show you would want to cover them. However it might depend on how they technically come into your employ. If for example you aren't hiring, but rather contracting out to someone who has a business setting up trade shows, I think they would be the ones covering themselves.

It's just a guess on my part though.

KristineS
07-31-2009, 01:37 PM
Most shows will require third party contractors to show proof of insurance before they're allowed to work the show. I would imagine your own employees would be covered by your workplace insurance. I'm not sure about temp employees.

theDIfellas
07-31-2009, 03:01 PM
^^ thanks

the issue is we formed a LLC and have no employees.

There will however be ppl, our friends working at the show. Ill probably have to ask an insurance professional about this..

Gotta love entrepreneurialism, the work nevers stops! lol

Evan
07-31-2009, 09:32 PM
If you have people working for you at this trade show, presumably they are employees. While you are both LLC members/managers, and (depending on how you're taxed) not employees per se, it can still be wise to have workers compensation for your business.

Good luck.

theDIfellas
08-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. I figured this out--some special event companies do offer worker's comp coverage. Not cheap though, around 500-600 bucks to start.

Im glad we didnt need it for the show though! Confirmed with the show coordinators :]

btw we have no employees in our company, just the owners.

Evan
08-08-2009, 04:02 PM
btw we have no employees in our company, just the owners.

Which, depending on your state law, may be considered employees.