PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts

Bobjob
08-17-2016, 10:56 AM
I recently did business with a clothing store and computer supplier I've never done business with before, and per modern business mode they both immediately made me regret my decision. I now receive two new sources of junk email and snail mail. My thought was, there needs to be a business that is a buffer between you and the companies you want to purchase from so you can avoid the advertising BS. After thinking about it a while I came to the conclusion - that is what Amazon does. But, if there is room for one Amazon there is room for another.

Also, a friend of mine said Amazon needs a button you can click when you are shopping for friends, so that stuff you don't care about doesn't end up on your feature recommendations. I thought that was a good idea.

I also thought a decent business might be transporting large or wheelchair bound people. They still must go places and their numbers seem to be growing.

It's been slow the past week so my mind has had time to wander. :)

Harold Mansfield
08-17-2016, 11:21 AM
I love kicking around ideas, I do it all of the time if for nothing else, spit and giggles.

I recently did business with a clothing store and computer supplier I've never done business with before, and per modern business mode they both immediately made me regret my decision. I now receive two new sources of junk email and snail mail. My thought was, there needs to be a business that is a buffer between you and the companies you want to purchase from so you can avoid the advertising BS. After thinking about it a while I came to the conclusion - that is what Amazon does. But, if there is room for one Amazon there is room for another.

I used to think that too, but I'm starting to see that maybe there isn't. Other online retailers still bow down to Amazon. It's not just the product offerings that's killing people, it's the logistics. 2 day free delivery is hard to beat and still no one has really challenged that. And they keep you entertained as well. Not bad at all. Amazon is one of the few things that I don't complain about paying for because it's worth every penny. Not many things people can say that about these days.

Jet was to be the Amazon alternative and if Walmart hadn't purchased them, they'd have gone under sooner or later. Again, logistics. They're killing it.

Niche retail works. I order electronics from a few different sources, and I'll go straight to the Levi's site to order certain things. But the kicker is that Amazon delivers Levis faster than Levis. And for free.

Also, I've seen sooooo many online retailers fail over the years. It's a wasteland out there.

I also thought a decent business might be transporting large or wheelchair bound people. They still must go places and their numbers seem to be growing.
In my city there's transit services for the disabled and elderly, public trans is capable, and all of the cab companies have lifts and such. So far I've never seen a specially out fitted Uber. I thought some enterprising person could corner that market in their area. Uber is cheaper than cabs and more convenient than public transportation.

Bobjob
08-17-2016, 01:46 PM
I'd pay the shipping to never receive the emails and snail mails.

I used to purchase stuff through eBay, but I made the switch to Amazon about two years ago.

I've (practically solely) worn Levis 501 since the 90s. In my opinion the quality isn't what it used to be.

Bobjob
08-18-2016, 01:19 PM
Actually, the more I read about automated vehicles the less desirable the transport business sounds.

Harold Mansfield
08-18-2016, 01:56 PM
Actually, the more I read about automated vehicles the less desirable the transport business sounds.
It'll be a while. And transit for the disabled and elderly will still require human help.