PDA

View Full Version : ChiusLife.com

chiuslife
07-28-2009, 08:32 AM
I'm putting chiuslife.com (http://www.chiuslife.com) out here because I haven't before.

I specialize in clean, minimal development and design: something to the effects of frugaltheme.

I'm thinking of offering:

Web portfolios for non-web designers (e.g. photographers, artists, web cartoonists)
Event-based blogs (e.g. festivals, band tours, etc.)
Web consultation

I do this as a side hobby but considering doing this in full force sometime soon.

Thanks for any ideas, suggestions and/or comments.

vangogh
07-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Your design is interesting. It's certainly different and I like it. However I think the ads on the home page are a little much. It sends the message that you're less interested in building a business as you are in directing people through affiliate links. It also makes the banners at the top, which actually point to your own pages look like ads leading out.

Your copy could be improved throughout the site. I know you mentioned it's just a hobby at the moment, but I assume you would like to see your services. Right now there's little in your copy that would convince someone to hire you. The copy doesn't feel like it's focused on anything. For example the home page itself never mentions your services.

Overall the site reads like a hobby site so if you do want to turn it into something full time I'd suggest reworking the copy to make it more professional. Also I see you have a blog, but why no link to it in the navigation?

Again I do like the design, but the copy needs to work more toward selling your services and be less hobby like.

KristineS
07-28-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm with Vangogh on this. The site has a nice, clean, minimalist design, which seems to be one of the things you're selling. The ads are distracting and, at least to my mind, not necessary.

I would also agree that the copy needs work. Right now it reads as if you're half-heartedly offering a bunch of stuff if people want what you have to offer. You have to convince people that they want to work with you and right now I don't believe your site is doing that.

chiuslife
07-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the valuable and constructive criticism, Vangogh and Kristine.

I do agree with the additions and subtractions for the front page. The affiliate links indeed need to go as they sort of now look like filler after a day.

Things tend to make sense at the time!

Well, at the moment, taking your advice, I'm finding ways to improve the copy. :)

vangogh
07-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Glad we could help. I don't think you have to lose the affiliate links entirely, but you probably don't want to include them on your sales pages. If you do want to take this full time focus on the services you want to offer and promote those more.