PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need Another Business License?

a_caldwell
07-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I have a company that is registered through my state and local offices as ABL LLC, this is the company I have been using for a particular General Nutrition supplement online store. The store activity is now lukewarm, but it costs me nothing to keep the store open, so I plan to keep it open and handle the sporadic orders while I go into other ventures. These ventures include other online retail websites.

My incorporation papers with the state and county mentions ABL LLC as being in the online retail space. There is no mention of the actual General Nutrition website, just ABL LLC as a online retailer.

Is it possible to use ABL LLC to back my new online store also?

Evan
07-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Yes. You can use it for any purpose you've provided in your Articles of Organization with the state. This is why some businesses provide "Any Legal Purpose" as their legal purpose, so they could do any type of business (except ones that require specific licenses). So you won't see a dentist office and CPA firm under one LLC. But a restaurant and pet store would be feasible, amongst many other possibilities.

a_caldwell
07-29-2009, 03:51 PM
This is why some businesses provide "Any Legal Purpose" as their legal purpose, so they could do any type of business

Smart.... entrepreneurs are almost like lawyers.....power moves, power moves, power moves.

phanio
07-29-2009, 05:53 PM
If this is not the case in your situation - you can change (amend) your articles.

Evan
07-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Amending your articles of incorporation can provide you the ability to legally run any type of business.

Of course, the one caveat is that it isn't always wise to do such a thing. If you ran a restaurant and construction company in the same entity, you potentially risk losing both in a law suit. There goes grandma's recipes!