PDA

View Full Version : Is this too pushy

nealrm
07-25-2009, 01:09 PM
I have started to attend ribbon cuttings and other opening events area the area. When possible, I introduce myself to the owner and congratulate them on opening a new store. Would it be too pushy to let them know we offer special banner pricing to new business at that time? Should I wait and send a follow up letter later?

Patrysha
07-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I think it can be done in a non-pushy way if it is conversational, but you'd still need to follow up because opening days are kind of like weddings - they go by in a blur and you don't remember much until the photos come back!

I don't know how it is there, but here the opening day is often weeks if not months before the Official Grand Opening so prospects are not always truly new and still looking for suppliers by that point.

rezzy
07-25-2009, 04:05 PM
I agree, that trying to sell something at a ribbon cutting ceremony is not the best method, unless you can move the conversation there. Otherwise, you come off sounding like a door-to-door salesmen, which no one likes.

I think it would be a good chance to network with owner and get background on the information on the business and see if they are even a good fit for your services.

billbenson
07-25-2009, 05:10 PM
I agree, that trying to sell something at a ribbon cutting ceremony is not the best method, unless you can move the conversation there. Otherwise, you come off sounding like a door-to-door salesmen, which no one likes.

I think it would be a good chance to network with owner and get background on the information on the business and see if they are even a good fit for your services.

I pretty much agree. It's kinda like selling caskets at a funeral. Doesn't mean you can't do some networking though!

vangogh
07-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I'll agree as well. I think the pushiness is less in what you are doing as it will be in how you go about doing it. You may not want to just come out and share your offer, but there's no reason why you can't strike up a conversation and have the info come out as part of normal conversation.

And as mentioned you can certainly use the events for networking.

KristineS
07-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with congratulating the new business owner on opening their business, letting them know you're another small business owner in town and telling them what you do. Most new business owners are looking for connections. As long as you don't make it a hard or overt sell, you should be fine.

Vivid Color Zack
07-29-2009, 03:54 PM
You're already there, there is no sense in risking having them find someone else to provide your services between the time you meet them and the time you see them again and can offer your services.

Go for it. Don't be rude but you're offering a service they need, they should be glad to hear what you have to say.

lav
07-29-2009, 07:39 PM
I wish I had the guts to walk up and do it!

Vivid Color Zack
07-29-2009, 09:16 PM
You know what helps me a lot in a sales situation where I have to confront a purchaser or some potential customer? I picture them in their underwear.

No not really.

I remind myself that I'm an expert in my field, my rates are competitive, my service is outstanding and my products are great.

Also I remind myself that my wallet is not as fat as I want it to be and another few dollars would always help me :)

lav
07-30-2009, 05:56 AM
You know what helps me a lot in a sales situation where I have to confront a purchaser or some potential customer? I picture them in their underwear.OMG!!! You've ruined it now.... Every time I approach someone now Im not going to be able to stop picturing them in their undies....... Oh well I guess I'll have to change my target market from middle aged men to something a little more inviting......and less hairy!

Spider
07-30-2009, 08:40 AM
...I introduce myself to the owner and congratulate them on opening a new store. Would it be too pushy to let them know we offer special banner pricing to new business at that time? ... I don't quite understand the question.

Firstly, if you are introducing yourself, wouldn't that include telling them what you do? Do you say, "Hi, I am John." and stop there? Telling them that you make banners is part of your introduction, surely.

Secondly, offering them special prices on banners at a store opening is a bit late, isn't it? Wouldn't they need to buy a banner *for* that event?

I would think your best tactic would be to introduce yourself to other attendees and try to find someone who is having a store opening some time in the near future.

Another thing to remember - at Official Openings, the business owner is in selling mode, not buying mode. He is trying to make contact with customers, not suppliers. So, act like a potential customer and talk about their business. Time enough later to make a sales presentation yourself.

Vivid Color Zack
07-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Your local chamber of commerce probably hosts a lot of these grand opening deals. Unfortunately you are probably going to find that another local sign shop has been working with the chamber for 10 years already.

At least that's what happened to us. We offered better prices and faster turnaround and it didn't matter. Hard to steal loyal customers I guess.

nealrm
07-30-2009, 09:17 PM
I sorry I should have been more specific - by banners I ment internet advertising banners not sign banners.

Vivid Color Zack
07-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Might be a good idea to find out if they have a website first and use that as a transition into what you do. Just be tactful I don't think you will be considered rude.

Remipub
08-04-2009, 04:09 PM
To the original question ... is it too pushy? Heck no! I don't speak from experience (I hate sales) but any good salesman will never hesitate to let anyone and everyone know who they are and what they do. It doesn't matter when or where (ok, a funeral may not be the best choice).

The key is (as Kristine already mentioned) how you present your message. Making yourself known is not pushy, but if you hound them and don't let them leave without committing to an order, then yes I'd call that pushy. Also don't count on the would be client to remember you or what you said - you need to leave something with them. It could be as simple as a business card - or a flyer or brochure. If you're promoting a special for new businesses, be sure it's mentioned on whatever you leave with the prospect. (a good, inexpensive option is to have some business cards made up with the special offer briefly described on the back side).

And lastly, don't be afraid to follow up. I recently spoke with a gentleman who was the buyer for a very large firm. He said in most cases he would throw away printed information the first time or two, or he would not return the first couple of phone calls - but if the person persisted, he would eventually return the call and hear them out. If nothing else, to get them to stop calling! The ideal and most effective tactic is to give them something compelling to look at, then keep following up until you get a yes or no.