PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with laptop sizes?

Harold Mansfield
07-20-2016, 01:05 AM
I'm getting a little sick of laptops getting smaller and smaller. They market them as desktop replacements, but to me 14,13 and 12 inch laptops are hell to actually work on.

What happened to 17" laptops?
Why is 13" the hot new thing now?

Is it just me?

Owen
07-20-2016, 01:43 AM
I'm getting a little sick of laptops getting smaller and smaller. They market them as desktop replacements, but to me 14,13 and 12 inch laptops are hell to actually work on.

What happened to 17" laptops?
Why is 13" the hot new thing now?

Is it just me?

I have used 13" laptops and monitors since I knew how to use a computer. I find 17" way too clunky, but I do find the 13" to be so much cleaner. A 17" laptop to me looks old and oversized, most people from my generation can agree. My generation seems to enjoy smaller screen sizes whereas I've seen older generations to enjoy larger sizes. I have a 27" monitor and the only reason I enjoy it is because it has Retina display. I do not think its a good idea to have huge laptops, really all you need is *max* 15 inches. If you like laptops and screens that are basically televisions then I'd get a big monitor.

Harold Mansfield
07-20-2016, 02:24 AM
I can see the generational thing. And for portability smaller, lighter..sure why not?

Personally I just can't work full time on a 13 inch screen. That's a big tablet to me.
I'm good with the 15.6" size, but those are even hard to come by in new models these days.

And I'm fully able to admit that I'm older now and don't enjoy reading on small areas. Never had to my entire life. Books. Paper. Documents.
None of those things were as small as the things we're expected to read on now, so again, generational. Although I do most of my reading on a 7" tablet.

However, if I'm forgoing a desktop to make a laptop my office computer and it's not something I'm moving from place to place, I don't see 13" doing it for me.

Fulcrum
07-20-2016, 07:56 AM
I'd rather have a large screen than a small one. Easier to use multiple windows without tabbing, video system doesn't need to be as powerful since only 1 or 2 monitors are in use rather than 3 or 4.

And before I forget, the old saying:

Bigger is always better!

turboguy
07-20-2016, 08:14 AM
My last couple of laptops have been the 15.6" size and I like that size. If those did become unavailable I would probably like smaller better than bigger. I only use my laptop when traveling and have two desktops in my office that I spend most of my time working on. So far I have never found a good use for a tablet and have never had one. When I am traveling and working I need to be able to do some things that I couldn't do easily on a tablet.

Freelancier
07-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Bought an HP from Costco over the holidays for under $1000 that was 15" and really sweet features, including touch. I am too blind to see something smaller :)

KristineS
07-20-2016, 03:43 PM
I have a larger laptop. Bought it kind of on a whim when my old laptop crapped out. I like the larger screen. Of course, I use my laptop to watch television too, so that might have something to do with why I watch the larger screen. And I don't move it a lot. A smaller one would make more sense if I were taking it a lot of places.

Harold Mansfield
07-20-2016, 04:39 PM
I ask people how they get stuff done on smaller laptops and the common wisdom is Chrome with a bunch of tabs open.
I guess it depends on what you do. I couldn't imagine having 2 programs open, and working email or something like Slack and having to squeeze things like that on one screen when I need them all at once.

I also work on 3 monitors, so even just one monitor feels limiting to me.

I guess you get used to what you have to, and make things work when you need to.

Brian Altenhofel
07-20-2016, 04:41 PM
I prefer laptops with screens that are 17" or bigger and a 10-key section. The only downside is battery life. Some people worry about the weight for carrying one around, but I can assure you from experience that you won't even notice an 11lb laptop in your bag if your bag is designed to properly distribute the load to your body. Travel hasn't been an issue.

My last couple have been refurbished discontinued close-out gaming laptops. You can usually get them that way for 1/3-1/2 of their original MAP. It's always fun to have resource usage races with other developers at conferences who spent way too much on a Mac. Their laptops go into thermal shutdown before my fans even kick on.

Brian Altenhofel
07-20-2016, 04:46 PM
I guess you get used to what you have to, and make things work when you need to.

That's why I don't like doing on-sites. I'm much more productive at my own desk than when I'm limited to just a laptop. Yeah, I can use multiple workspaces and cycle/hotkey between them, but I can't look at multiple things at once. There's just too much context switching cost with only a laptop.

vangogh
07-20-2016, 04:50 PM
I'm not sure it's entirely generational. I completely agree with Owen about the screen size. My last two laptops have been 13 inch. The one before it was 15 inch. I was nervous when I bought the first 13 inch (it was a Macbook Air in 2011), but within a day or two I was used to the screen. I prefer the lighter and smaller footprint.

I think laptops are desktop replacements in that they can do what a desktop computer can do. I don't think it's meant as a reflection of the size of the monitor. Sorry to say if you don't like it's going to get worse for you. I think we're at a time where the change is going to be laptop to tablet. Whether it's the Surface or the iPad Pro, that's the future. I also expect for those who need or want one, they'll be able able to connect to a larger monitor.

Owen
07-20-2016, 11:05 PM
I'm not sure it's entirely generational. I completely agree with Owen about the screen size. My last two laptops have been 13 inch. The one before it was 15 inch. I was nervous when I bought the first 13 inch (it was a Macbook Air in 2011), but within a day or two I was used to the screen. I prefer the lighter and smaller footprint.

I think laptops are desktop replacements in that they can do what a desktop computer can do. I don't think it's meant as a reflection of the size of the monitor. Sorry to say if you don't like it's going to get worse for you. I think we're at a time where the change is going to be laptop to tablet. Whether it's the Surface or the iPad Pro, that's the future. I also expect for those who need or want one, they'll be able able to connect to a larger monitor.
People like iPads because they're essentially low-cost MacBooks. People like MacBooks. Computers are probably never going to go away, at least laptops, just because so many people prefer that over a tablet. Unless tablets start getting less limited laptops are gonna have to stay.

I'm an Apple fanboy, I love all apple products. I can't stand the Windows tablets, I feel like they're dumbed down laptops with less RAM and other specs. I don't plan on switching to another company unless i absolutely have to.

Bobjob
07-21-2016, 10:47 AM
I'm an Apple fanboy, I love all apple products. I can't stand the Windows tablets, I feel like they're dumbed down laptops with less RAM and other specs. I don't plan on switching to another company unless i absolutely have to.

I've used Mac since 1994 and it's all I know. I'm currently being "forced" into the PC world. We used Quickbooks Online, and it was no good for our business as it had no real inventory capabilities. We switched to Quickbooks Enterprise. It is impressive, but I'm using the hosted version with a Mac. Some things are not working out right with Enterprise and the only thing QB tech people can figure is it's because I'm using Microsoft remote desktop. I've tried everything I can with Mac, but always come up short. I believe we will have PC in this office very soon, which we probably should have done years ago. It's sad because I know how far Mac has come and they are very close, but they are still not enough for a business like mine.

Harold Mansfield
07-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Lets not get that battle started. :)

Owen
07-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Lets not get that battle started. :)

*waves white flag*

billbenson
07-21-2016, 12:42 PM
I'm using a 17 in MSI gaming laptop with 16 G of ram etc. I also use a wireless keyboard and mouse. The laptop wasn't cheap though.

I rarely go anywhere with my laptop so it's great for me. If I was a road warrior, I'd like something smaller.

vangogh
07-21-2016, 12:42 PM
People like iPads because they're essentially low-cost MacBooks.

I disagree. I'm sure for some people, the price is the main reason for buying an iPad, but you can get a Macbook Air for about the same price as an iPad Pro, once you add in a keyboard and you up the storage and maybe add cell service. I think for a lot of people it's more a mobility thing and for some it's the ability to interact with the screen through touch. An iPad pro (like a Surface) can be used as either a laptop replacement or a tablet. And some people prefer iOS to MacOS because it's simpler.

Bobjob
07-25-2016, 10:48 AM
I think if portable keyboards gain in popularity, maybe more people will move away from laptop and only have pads.

nduncan
07-25-2016, 07:58 PM
My daughters school specified that they wanted her to have a 13" laptop. If this is a directive that a lot of schools are giving then it could drive the industry to some extent. We ended up buying a 15" because they were cheaper and better.