PDA

View Full Version : I'm David. Started a design site & want to give out a free design

prova.fm
07-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi guys,

My name's David. I'm helping create a site that is a fun & creative way to help your business get better quality advertisements at a price you set. We help businesses launch their own design "contest." It's a totally new concept, so we've found it quite difficult to explain to our first customers without having examples to display. So we'd like to offer our "contest services" to a lucky business owner, here at the sbf.net, for free. We're doing this because we need to fill up our homepage (it will list the 10 latest contests). We held our own contest & had great success. :)

If anyone would like a free custom ad design, please let me know (post here). If anyone has a good suggestion on how I should pick a winner, tell me. It would be nice to help someone who could actually benefit from it. Plus, <shamelessly>, it would be nice if that business could help spread the word about us, too. Maybe talk about how we helped them. ;) If anyone's interested, I'd love to discuss our plan for generating buzz in the next month, around this launch (& a few months later I could tell you how it worked).

Or if anyone checks out our advertising contests (http://www.prova.fm/advertising/) site & has any advice, please let me know. (I realize our design is bland. New design goes online this week).

I look forward to learning from this forum & hopefully having something valuable to contribute.
Thanks,
-David

vangogh
07-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Welcome to the forum David. That is an interesting concept, though I can see how it might be hard to get across right away. I'm sure someone or someones here will take you up on your offer.

I'll have to look for the link, but not too long ago I came across a site that ran contests as a way for site owners to have things designed. I think the site only ran contests for logos, but it might have been more. You might be able to get something out of the way they have their site set up or maybe just see how they go about describing their site. I know the concept is different, but maybe there's something there to learn from.

Looking forward to getting to know you better and thanks for joining the community.

prova.fm
07-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey Vangogh,

Have you ever had a brilliant business idea, only to find it's already been done? Isn't it a horrible feeling? Yes, that happened to me with prova. I had a great idea, got positive feedback, & was a few months into development when I learned of the other (please leave unnamed ;) ) sites you're referring too. I'm sure my wife didn't enjoy that evening. But, luckily, those other sites do logos (predominantly). So I'm not worried. I serve a different niche.

Thanks for the welcome.
-David

vangogh
07-24-2009, 09:47 PM
It happens to me all the time. Sometimes it's a matter of acting on your idea quickly. It's not as big a deal, but it happens to me all the time with blog posts. I come up with an idea and next thing I know someone else has written the post. It can be very frustrating at times.

The good thing is you can still do well with the same idea. The idea is only an idea. It's the implementation of the idea that leads to success.

I'll hold off on posting the link, but if you want I can look for it and send you a PM so it stays private.

prova.fm
07-24-2009, 10:12 PM
That's funny. BTW, I read your blog, Does your design flow (http://www.vanseodesign.com/blog/web-design/does-your-design-flow/). Great blog. It's one of my few RSS subscriptions, now. You know, you're the 1st person who I've ever heard talk about how objects, peoples faces, hands control where a visitors eyes go. It's amazing how many designers/advertisers don't even know that.

If you do find that link, please PM me.
Thanks,
-David

vangogh
07-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the compliment and thanks for subscribing. I think a good deal of designers do know about how to control where eyes go, but I suspect you're right that many don't. It's also not a topic you see discussed all that often online. It's amazing though how much of an effect it can have. When you're out surfing the web try to notice where your eye falls on different pages. It's not something you're consciously aware is happening, but if you pause to think about it, you can see it in action.

I found the link and I'll send it to you in a PM momentarily.

cbscreative
07-31-2009, 05:15 PM
I'll pass on the free design, but welcome aboard.