PDA

View Full Version : Please review my website

peter12
06-28-2016, 01:05 PM
Hi guys,

As most of you I'm also a small business owner. I own a small man and van company based in London and trying to expand my business and to get more moving jobs. As a result I'm trying to build a great looking website and therefor spent a small fortune on building it. Can you please review it here (https://www.moving-van.org.uk/) and share your thoughts. And please - be honest, because I need to hear real opinions to be able to fix all design issues.

Regards,
Peter

Harold Mansfield
06-28-2016, 02:57 PM
Overall it's a decent site. You've checked off the boxes, but I think you could improve engagement by just making some simple changes.

Above the fold you can make it easier for people to do business with you immediately and not have to scroll or look around.

If it were my site, I'd open with a larger image of 2 guys, and the van, areas served, maybe a map of the service area (all in one image), and have the contact form right over the image to the right.
That way someone scrolling through websites looking for a service has all of the information right in their face. Size of truck and what it looks like, areas served, kinds of things you move, phone number. Those are the things they want to know immediate and that you can say in very few words with the right image.

There may be some other ways I'd simplify the home page and utilize your images and bullet points better, and clean up the sidebar, but I think the top is what stands out most. Too much introduction and promotion. If you are targeting properly to have gotten them to the site, you can just get straight to the point.

You can say a lot with a little with smarter structure and organization.

JMO of course.

turboguy
06-28-2016, 02:59 PM
I thought it looked pretty good Peter. The only thing I saw with a brief look was a couple of small alignment issues. On the right side of the header the words call now sort of run into the Phone number and on the home page the third circle icon "Man with a van hire" is out of alignment. I am guessing that because there are more text characters it is forcing the icon up. I also wonder if it is arranging the text wrong and should really read "hire man with a van"
The important thing to me is how well you convey your message and I think your site does that well and has a good call to action as well. If I were in London and wanted a moving company your web site would sell me on your services.

peter12
06-28-2016, 03:46 PM
Hi Harold, turboguy

And thank you so much for the detailed review. I will try to fix all these issues as soon as possible. This suggestion - larger image of 2 guys and a van above the fold is very good and I will definitely use it.

To turboguy: can you tell me what browser you are using so I can check the alignment.

Thanks again for your help guys.

Harold Mansfield
06-28-2016, 04:04 PM
No problem. The other thing is to check your local search optimization. This seems like the kind of service that someone will voice search from a mobile device to get results in their area. Insure that you come up in the areas that you serve.

Also make sure that your result has the best title, description and a phone number that allows them to call you from the search results and not have to click into the website.

Convenience..making it easy for people to do business with you, will go a long way.

James S
06-30-2016, 07:23 PM
Peter, there will always be slight changes you 'could' make depending on who you ask. But from what i can see browsing over it, i thought it was very nice and professional as it is.

AndrewLockman
07-08-2016, 07:37 PM
Hi Peter - I've had a look at your website and put together a quick (7 minute) screencast outlining some ideas you might like to consider when you next update your site.
You can find it here - Website Review - Moving-Van.org.uk (http://www.andrewlockman.com/website-reviews/website-review-moving-van-org-uk)

geekhibrid
07-09-2016, 01:36 AM
The only thing that stands out to me is your content positioning.

You should place the section that says: "Whether you are planning on moving into a new London....." at the beginning so your readers can immediately see the solution to a need they are coming there for as oppose to starting out with your "company" information. Unfortunately, people aren't that interested in your company being around for 10 years.....they prefer to see the solution at the beginning and everything else can be there as secondary content.

beeline_Chris
12-05-2016, 07:30 PM
I think your site is good enough! It should definitely convert. Just start sending traffic to it and start seeing whether you get results.

If you're not using it already, I highly recommend Hotjar (https://www.hotjar.com/r/r595992). It's free to use, and you can get a very good picture of what people are doing on your website when they visit (you can see click maps - all the places where people are clicking; scroll maps - see how far down people scroll down your page and which parts of the page(s) go largely unseen; and even screen "recordings" where you can follow a visitors' mouse movement from entering your site to exiting).

Good luck!