PDA

View Full Version : Hello from

ClassifiedsByZip
07-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm running a free classified Ads web site ClassifiedsByZip.com

It's an alternative to using craigslist, with a different way to search for items or services.

vangogh
07-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Welcome to the forum. Big task taking on Craig's List. Hopefully we can help you along the way.

Thanks for joining the community.

painperdu
07-23-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm running a classifieds site as well. Yes, it does seem a bit foolish but I think CL can be beaten on a few levels.

vangogh
07-23-2009, 05:12 PM
I think they can be beaten too. Let's face it. There's room for more than one classified site. You probably can't do things exactly like they do if you want to grow your site, but if you look for what they aren't doing well and you can fill that space you have a good shot at building a successful site.

painperdu
07-23-2009, 06:43 PM
I think one of CL's biggest vulnerabilities is in their non-local control. There are a few locally specific issues I've found that CL isn't accommodating because of its size and inability to properly manage. I think the self moderation is a failure.

People do need to be governed and CL just doesn't have the resources to govern its whole network. Spam on CL is epidemic and will only get worse. Even more so, CL's liabilities will increase as it is used more and more as a medium to break laws. They have tightened up a bit as far as requiring more information from users but even these measures are being usurped.

CL's structure can't support its growth. Their small administration used to be a source of pride but now it's becoming their bane.

vangogh
07-23-2009, 08:30 PM
One thing I wish CL would add is a telecommuting subcategory in it's jobs category. I don't need it much anymore, but a few years back it would have been very helpful. If you're telecommuting you don't need to be searching by city.

painperdu
07-23-2009, 09:05 PM
That's a good idea. It might even alleviate the need to spam because it should lead to less cross posting the same message to different cities.

Backpage.com allows cross posting for a fee.

cbscreative
07-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Welcome. Since there are so many people that abhor CL, it would seem to me there should be plenty of opportunity to do better.