PDA

View Full Version : Best Use of Multiple Domain Names with Different Endings

dynocat
07-20-2009, 02:11 AM
I have a few .com domain names being used for ecommerce sites. I also own the .net, .info and .org for these. What is the best way to use these and turn a few dollars on them?

What are my options?

1) Forward to the .com sites. That might be good for the ".net" versions, but the chance of someone typing in ".org" or ".info" while looking for my .com store is highly unlikely.

2) Set up info sites linking to my main ecommerce site,

3) Park them and set up for use Google Adwords That sounds like I'd be passing potential customers on to someone else, no?

4) What might other uses be?

Thanks

vangogh
07-20-2009, 12:00 PM
I would just redirect all of them to the .com site. Parking them is probably going to make less money than if those same people were directed to your main site and setting up info sites means you'll be competing with your main site.

The best reason to have bought all those other extensions is to control domain branding. Just redirect everything to your main site.

rezzy
07-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Option 3: Sounds the worst of all.

Its as if you are trying to sell the domain. Since, I expect few people to see it, you will only get a few visitors and even fewer to convert to sells.

Harold Mansfield
07-20-2009, 06:57 PM
I only have a couple of domains that I cared enough to get other extensions.

Some I just redirect to the main domain. I'm basically just sitting on it so no one else gets it, and to add to value if/when I sell it.

On one, I use the .net to host an e commerce site related to the blog (which is on the .com) but that is actually redirected from another .com (sounds janky...and it is, but now I'm stuck with it like that).

I don't have anything parked. Parking sucks and pays very little unless you have something spectacular like "used trucks.com". And I wouldn't park a different extension of my main domain, for as little as it pays, redirecting is a much better option business wise.

The best use would be a related blog to help draw traffic, if you have the time, even an autoblog, or static information page would help a little over just parking it.

But mostly I have additional extensions as part of the over all value of the main site.

vangogh
07-20-2009, 09:53 PM
I think the parked domains can bring money if the domain is right and if you have a stable of them. I think the process has been that each domain might only make a small amount on its own, but if you own thousands or tens of thousands of domains you don't need to make a lot off of any one.

Over time though, I think many domainers have realized the domain becomes even more valuable if they build a site on top of it.

dynocat
07-21-2009, 02:49 AM
Thanks all. That's pretty much what I thought, but had to see if I was missing something, you know?

vangogh
07-21-2009, 02:54 AM
Understandable. It's always good to ask just in case or to confirm what you were thinking.