PDA

View Full Version : Music thread

billbenson
08-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Don't watch movies much so I thought I'd start a classic music thread:

Starting with: Liza Minnelli & Pavarotti - "New York, New York"

YouTube - Liza Minnelli & Pavarotti - "New York, New York" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs6q_LLQDYk)

cbscreative
08-15-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't watch a lot of movies either (but the thread is fun anyway), and my music preference is very rocky. So what are the rules?

billbenson
08-15-2008, 02:33 PM
How about introducing music that people may not be aware of or a really good version of a song. Jazz, pop, rock, whatever.

You say you like rock. I bet you have never heard of Gloria Trevi. She's the queen of Latin rock. She's really wild in 60's or 70's rock tradition, but she's doing it now and very popular. Lousy video in this link and I may like it better because I speak Spanish but I like a lot of her music.

YouTube - Gloria Trevi (LIve)En Medio de la Tempestad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=256p3I8QalA)

Blessed
08-15-2008, 10:53 PM
I Love Big Band music... and just about everything else except rock.

There is a newer (they've been around for a few years) gospel big band group called Denver and the Mile High Orchestra that I really enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XQfH-QzPTM

Blessed
08-15-2008, 10:58 PM
unfortunately my husband grew up in a house with very little music so he makes me turn it off sometimes (I on the other hand grew up with a variety of music as a backdrop to life - including the opera at full blast on Saturday mornings... :) ) we're better at compromising now... we celebrated our 9th anniversary
on the 14th!

cbscreative
08-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Funny, Blessed, it's similar for my wife and I. She likes country (which I hate) and classical (which I'm not fond of). She's learned to get used to rock and even enjoy it sometimes, because I am a hard core rocker. We do share a common appreciation for jazz and blues.

I listen mostly to Christian rock because of my strong faith and the fact that I don't identify with the message like I once did. Fortunately, there is some great Christian rock available.

One of my favorite bands, Petra, which is Greek for rock, called it quits after 33 years of rockin back in 2005. Since 1986, they had John Schlitt as lead vocalist. He used to sing lead vocals for a band called Head East before drugs brought him to the threshhold of committing suicide. He was literally going to go do that when his wife, not knowing his plans, convinced him to talk with her pastor. He became a Christian on the day he was planning to take his life.

I had the privilege of meeting John back in 1988, but I never knew this story about him until recently. Now that I know this, it makes more sense what I noticed about him when we met. He was very real, and very excited about his faith.

OK, it wouldn't be complete without video from the farewell tour. Although Petra was a rock band, they had a lot of mellow stuff, and this video is an acoustic set so even if you don't like rock, you will still like this. They also have Greg X. Voltz who was the original lead vocalist who dropped out because of the demands of several years of touring. Each vocalist takes the lead on songs that were released while they were with the band. Greg has the reddish hair and John is next to him with the cross necklace. The guy playing lead guitar is Bob Hartman, the founder of the band and the writer of most of the band's music.

Watch the Petra video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnJk7NiKYxk)

Blessed
08-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Steve

I can't remember any songs specifically but I do remember listening to Petra and liking some of their stuff... I basically want to understand the words and not have the beat so strong that you don't hear the music so maybe I should just say that I don't like "headbanger" music :)

What I listen to depends on the day and what I'm trying to get done - an energetic day of cleaning house calls for high-energy black gospel and a day of concentrating on meeting a deadline is better served by some classical or jazz music!

cbscreative
08-19-2008, 10:28 AM
I like a lot of black gospel, but mostly when it's live. There is an energy and passion that us white folks just don't seem to have. I attend a church where we have a good mix of races. One of our music leaders is black and several other music ministry members are too. Our worship services are awesome. When the music minister's dad takes lead vocals for a song, it usually gets pretty intense. And the female vocalists, wow!

Blessed
08-20-2008, 08:27 AM
if only I could sing like that... :)

billbenson
08-21-2008, 06:08 PM
If you want religious popular music, Steve, check out the link below. Again its spanish and is a bit between pop and rock, but he is extremely popular and does world wide concerts. His name is Marcus Witt.

YouTube - Gracias - Marcos Witt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGNcfWwuxQw)

cbscreative
08-21-2008, 06:52 PM
That was cool, bill. In our area, we have a significant concentration of Mexicans, and I live in a diverse neighborhood. Our senior pastor spent several years as a missionary in Mexico. We even have a special Spanish speaking service, but I'm really glad to see a lot of Mexican people in our regular service. I have very mixed feelings on the separation. I see the reason for it because of the culture in this area, yet it also tends to create a certain degree of isolation.

We recently started bringing in the teens into our regular service for Sunday morning because the "youth ministry" was creating that separation effect. I like the change myself. Since this thread is about music, I appreciate seeing our teens now sharing the music stage with the adults during worship service. Once a month, they even get to lead the service. That to me is a great idea.

billbenson
08-25-2008, 08:57 PM
See if I can bump this thread a bit.

Its interesting how some of the musicians from the 60's have turned out to be solid citizens. I don't recall if Carlos Santana was part of the drug culture or not, but below is both a link to a charity foundation he started for children and a song that has been going through my head for a few days. I saw an expose of him on the National Geographic Channel recently and he and his wife have pretty much dedicated their lives to charity work for under privileged children.

Charity Site: The Milagro Foundation (http://www.milagrofoundation.org/default.asp)

Let The Children Play: Santana Let The Children Play Music - Dailymotion Videos - YouTube MySpace Video - Noolmusic.com (http://noolmusic.com/dailymotion_videos/santana_let_the_children_play_music.php)

cbscreative
08-25-2008, 09:20 PM
That reminds me that Petra, who I mentioned above was also very heavily involved with an organization called Compassion International that matches up needy children in foreign countries with sponsors who donate a monthly gift to improve their lives. Thanks to that band, after their presentation at one of their concerts, I sponsored a young boy from India for a while.