PDA

View Full Version : Second opinion

Bobjob
05-17-2016, 10:30 AM
I learned the value of a second opinion years ago. My toilet bowl began not filling up all the way. I called my plumber and he could not come out for at least two days, so I called a nationally known plumber. They came out, he inspected it and said, "it's an old toilet, here is a quote for replacing it." So I think, okay I'll make this decision tomorrow. Then my plumber calls and says he had a cancel and can come by, I say okay. He inspects it and says "do you use a mint in the tank?" I said yes. He said a piece had broken off and clogged the part that allows water to fill the bowl. A $65.00 instead of a $700.00 expense.

Which brings me to "Professionals".
I have Hydrangeas and the leaves were very splotchy. I looked it up online and didn't get a clear answer. I took photos of the leaves and some leaves to a nursery and they said fungus, you can try this stuff but it usually doesn't work. So I do and it doesn't. I try a different nursery same diagnosis different fungicide. This year I was soaking my ferns in a five gallon bucket mixture of liquid fertilizer and water. I thought I might get better flowers if I poured the excess liquid on the Hydrangeas. Not only better flowers but completely cured. Not one splotch and I got triple the flowers than without. This also has me thinking about how doctors treat patients, or how we treat ourselves. In some instances if we ate healthier food and exercised regularly we wouldn't need as much blood pressure medication and antidepressants. I believe we complicate our lives with how smart we think we are.

Harold Mansfield
05-17-2016, 01:15 PM
I believe we complicate our lives with how smart we think we are.
Yep. And the internet has made that even worse. Too many people think they are knowledgeable about things just because they can find an article somewhere about it, with no care of the credibility of the source, or that there may be different opinions. In some ways the internet has made us dumber because it feeds our impatience and need for instant gratification.
Used to be you had to make an effort to learn something and you followed through. These days people skim a headline and think they have a full grasp on everything.