PDA

View Full Version : OpenDNS Anyone have an account?

dynocat
07-17-2009, 10:24 AM
I found this site mentioned on a blog and checked it out.

OpenDNS is the leading provider of free security and infrastructure services that make the Internet safer through integrated Web content filtering, anti-phishing and DNS. OpenDNS services enable consumers and network administrators to secure their networks from online threats, reduce costs and enforce Internet-use policies. OpenDNS is used today by millions of users and organizations around the world.

OpenDNS.com (http://www.opendns.com/) is a free service that's been around several years. Reading up on it I thought immediately of the tech savvy people here and wonder how many of you use it.

I feel like I'm always behind in tech news, but one can only do so much, ya know.

vangogh
07-17-2009, 11:46 AM
In my case it wouldn't really do much. OpenDNS is for filtering content. You typically use it if you want to keep your employees or your kids from visiting certain sites. It's not anything I can say I know a lot about, but I'm seeing mixed reviews while searching just now. Some people seem to think it works great and others think the word 'security' shouldn't be associated with it at all.

I'd imagine both groups are right. It doesn't really sound very secure in the sense that anyone who knows how can get past the filter, but realistically most people won't know how so they won't get to the blocked sites.

Don't feel like you're always behind in tech news. I couldn't have told you I knew anything about OpenDNS about 10 minutes ago. Every day I come across something new to me that's been in existence for years. There's a lot out there. Take it as a sign of how hard you have to work to get the attention of your target market.

Harold Mansfield
07-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah, that's what I always though it was for too, to stop other people on your network from accessing certain sites on the web.

....enforce Internet-use policies

I guess of that's what you are looking for , it makes sense, but I don't think it's any kind of security solution for your computer.

vangogh
07-17-2009, 07:40 PM
That's what I got from looking at their site and a few quick searches about the technology. Seems like it would work assuming your goal was to block certain people on your network from accessing certain sites. Your employees or children come to mind.

I did come across a forum post where someone pointed out it really isn't all that secure in the sense that you could easily get through the filter. Most people probably wouldn't know how, but I'd imagine a few searches would tell you how.

billbenson
07-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Most people probably wouldn't know how, but I'd imagine a few searches would tell you how.

Bet most kids would know how.

vangogh
07-17-2009, 08:00 PM
You're probably right. And even if they didn't they'd know how to search to find out and they'd likely be very motivated to get past the filter.

dynocat
07-18-2009, 12:41 AM
The blog I read was suggesting it to speed up website load speed and caching. I don't really need the filters either.

vangogh
07-18-2009, 12:47 AM
I saw a few mentions of it speeding up websites. I assume they cache everything so either it only gets faster on your second visit or they cache sites whenever anyone using OpenDNS visits and so as long as someone else has been to the site you can get the cached version.

dynocat
07-18-2009, 12:49 AM
I saw a few mentions of it speeding up websites. I assume they cache everything so either it only gets faster on your second visit or they cache sites whenever anyone using OpenDNS visits and so as long as someone else has been to the site you can get the cached version.

I believe it's the second way you mentioned.

vangogh
07-18-2009, 02:47 AM
Makes sense. The first way is easy enough to set up on your own in your browser so you wouldn't really need OpenDNS.