PDA

View Full Version : How many different ecosystems are you on?

Harold Mansfield
04-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Not sure if the day will ever come where all tech ecosystems work together. There's a lot of cross over and jerry rigging you can do, but for the most part everyone is trying to win and want you to use only theirs.

With that said I was wondering how many different platforms people are using for different tech functions and features and how it's working out.
I'm sure like me none of us set out to have multiple platforms going, it's just that none are a complete solution for everything.

Currently I use products and software for both business and entertainment from Microsoft, Android, Google ( which is kind of separate), Apple ( just iTunes), Amazon (everything), Roku, and Samsung.

Probably the best working relationship between products is Microsoft and Google. Neither has everything I want alone, but together it's a good mix. They both make it easy to use your Google/Android stuff with Microsoft stuff. Which is actually kind of shocking considering where it looked like it was headed.

There's a lot of crossover of course. For instance XBOX does the basic things that I use Roku for, but doesn't have all of the channels I like. And Chromecast works better with my Google Music, but is limited in other areas. And still sometimes I just plug an HDMI into my laptop and use that to stream podcasts and such.

Google Now is great if you have a phone in your hand, but for other times and home automation Echo is pretty awesome.
Still never used Cortana.

It sounds complicated, but it's really not. And to be fair I don't need it all.. I'm just constantly curious and like trying new tech and services. For the entertainment stuff, I'm still trying to find that right mix that lets me ditch cable once and for all. I'm really sick of their crap and the archaic way that they still do business and offer services. Not to mention that paying for commercial television still burns my tamales. But that's another rant.

How many different platforms are you guys on? But the big question is does anyone get everything they need from just one?

vangogh
04-20-2016, 05:39 PM
Just the one for me. I'm in Apple's ecosystem. I won't pretend it's perfect, but it meets my needs to where I'm not looking elsewhere. If I reach a point where I do look elsewhere, I'd probably look to replace everything with similar products from one other ecosystem instead of having some of one and some of another. It seems to me that no matter which ecosystem you're in, the more devices you buy in the same ecosystem, the better they work together.

I don't think I have as many needs as you with this stuff. For example, I don't see any value in home automation at the moment. I've only heard good things about Amazon's Echo, but I can't think of a single use I'd have for one. Again it looks like a great product and everything I've heard about it says it's great. Just not something I have any use for at the moment.

Harold Mansfield
04-20-2016, 06:02 PM
For example, I don't see any value in home automation at the moment. I've only heard good things about Amazon's Echo, but I can't think of a single use I'd have for one. Again it looks like a great product and everything I've heard about it says it's great. Just not something I have any use for at the moment.

Ha. Yeah, no one really needs it. It's just one of those things that you get because you're curious and then you find ways to use it. I actually got my first one in a trade with a guy who won it from an office raffle. Now I love it.

Apple does seem to tick all of the boxes. Desktops, laptops, phones, tablets, and Apple TV..pretty much got you covered.

vangogh
04-20-2016, 07:14 PM
It's just one of those things that you get because you're curious and then you find ways to use it.

I get doing that if your main goal is to play with new tech, but I think for most people the approach is backwards. I think it makes more sense to have a problem and then find tech that solves the problem instead of buying the tech and then trying to figure out what problem it solves. Not that I've never bought something because I thought it was cool technology. I certainly have.

I realize sometimes having the product points out things you wouldn't have thought you needed or wanted until you had the product. I had no desire for a cell phone until I eventually bought one. Now it's never more than a few inches away from me. In general though, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

There are too many products now, especially at current prices, for me to buy them first and then find a use for them later. Again, it depends on why you're making the purchase. I know the technology excites you and you like having the devices just to play around with the tech and see what it can do. I used to be that way, but somewhere in the last few years I changed.

BNB
04-29-2016, 06:21 PM
I love our Echo! We typically use it for 3 main functions. Music (with Prime Music) - it's an outstanding small speaker system. Shopping list - you just talk to it and tell it to add items, and those show up on the app on your phone. And as a timer when cooking. Very practical.

Besides that, I use Windows/Android.

Harold Mansfield
04-29-2016, 07:35 PM
The Echo Dot gets delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to hook it up to normal speakers. Giving the other Echo to my Mom. One more thing for her to call me in the middle of the day and ask me how to make it turn on the lights and adjust the thermostat...so it's probably gonna cost me down the line.

KristineS
05-02-2016, 11:45 AM
Microsoft, Android, Google, Apple (iPad only), Amazon. Have not used Cortana and don't really want to do so. I'm fairly low tech. I have an iPad only because it was a Christmas gift. That said, I do really like it and it has a lot of features my Kindle doesn't. Love my Kindle for reading though. It works so well with Amazon and makes it far too easy for me to buy books. My phone is a Droid Turbo, and integrates well with Amazon products. I have the Kindle app on my phone and have found it to be more useful than I expected. Mostly, I tend to be someone who hears about something that people say makes a specific function easier and then I will start using whatever that particular thing is.