PDA

View Full Version : Hi all! Virtual Assistant - thoughts anyone?

Virtual Assistant
07-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Good morning all,

a new member to the forum, my name is Erin and I am a 26 year old Virtual Assistant based in Brisbane.

I've found that my business has been predominantly based on Clients I have been able to meet face to face, as so many businesses aren't yet ready to embrace the sheer wonder of Virtual Assistance as yet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on really connecting with others online? Being that VA work is always done electronically, I've found it really interesting that recruiting new Clients seems to be something that I can only do through in person contact.

Generally they know little about VA's and what we have to offer, and talking them through the how's and why's in person cements the faith and begins a really great business relationship.

Having said that, there are so many businesses I could do such wonderful things for which aren't in the greater Brisbane area.

Are there ways of breaking through this barrier short of annoying potential Clients with mailouts?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Erin - VA

vangogh
07-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Welcome to the forum Erin. I know many people still wouldn't know what a VA does, but I'm surprised that only people you meet face to face become clients. Some people do know what a Virtual Assistant is. We have a couple other VAs here so hopefully they'll check in and be able to offer some ideas.

How have you been marketing yourself? It's possible you're simply looking in the wrong place for clients. Since this is the intro thread, would you mind starting another with some details about where you're currently looking for clients and how you've been marketing yourself in general. I'm sure we can come up with some ideas for you.

In the meantime, welcome again and thanks for joining the community.

rezzy
07-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Welcome Erin,

I imagine you are talking about Brisbane, Australia.

I feel so ready to type a few pages of stuff. But, I think vangogh's questions will help get started.
1.How are you marketing?
2.Have you started using any type of social media to get to your target audience?
3.Do you have a website, that people can refer to with testimonials about your skills and services?

thx4yrtym
07-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Welcome Erin,

Seems like the most natural source of new business for you would be referrals and testimonials. The better you become at acquiring these two things the faster you are going to grow.

Best of luck,

VirtualLorri
07-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Welcome Erin~

I started my virtual assistant practice 4 /12 years ago. In the early days, I did have a couple of local clients, but they didn't get the "virtual" concept and I didn't keep them long. I have not met any of the clients I've worked with over the past three years. Several have come to me as referrals from existing clients, or are people I have encountered when working on behalf of existing clients. One found me as a result of an article that was published about my business, yet others have found me through online searches and online directory listings. Social media can be a great way to make connections.

Warmly,

Lorri

vangogh
07-16-2009, 11:18 AM
It's interesting how some people don't get the concept of 'virtual' isn't it?

KristineS
07-16-2009, 12:53 PM
One thing you might do is try to find some online venues where you can educate people about what exactly a virtual assistant is. Being the one that provides the education also positions you perfectly if someone who is being taught decides that they need a VA.

cbscreative
07-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Welcome. I think Lorri hit on a very important concept to your business—time. Once you get known more, you will get more clients. From my understanding of the VA biz, you may be turning down work before too long unless you take on the extra help to handle a larger workload.