PDA

View Full Version : Extended Sick Time

KristineS
08-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Earlier this year I had some unexpected absences from work due to health issues. Not only was it a hit to my health, it was a hit to my pocketbook.

If you have a business, how do you handle it when someone has an extended absence due to health issues? Is your policy communicated in your employee handbook and do all your employees understand how things work? Are you absolutely sure you have accurate information about what you legally can and can't do in these situations?

vangogh
08-09-2008, 01:38 AM
I don't have any employees so it's not an issue for me at the moment. I can understand both sides and I'd say the best thing to do is treat each case on a case by case basis.

There are times where it's unavoidable for someone to need an extended absence from work. Assuming the person has been a good employee I think the business should be understanding. Stuff happens to all of us.

On the other hand I've seen people take advantage of sick time and a business shouldn't be held hostage. At some point it's time to let the person go and hire someone who'll be there to do the job.

Legally I wouldn't ask me.

orion_joel
08-10-2008, 04:05 AM
In Australia, this is mostly set out in industry standard awards, which basically outline the minimum benefits and such for employee's, which an employer can build on but generally cannot go below without giving extra somewhere else.

In most cases they outline 8 sickdays per year, which for permanent or permanent part time employees they do get this. Beyond this many days it is up to the employer, some will allow annual leave days to be used if no sick days available, or a range of other things. It really depends on the employer how flexible they want to be.

I think that the biggest thing on both employee and employer sides alike is that there is really no fixed expectations or outcomes that are consistent. The affects of extended leave just vary so much based on the position you are in and the company.

degadar
08-10-2008, 04:35 AM
Our handbook says 5 sick-days paid per year. After that we usually ask the employee to take it as holiday or unpaid if they have no holiday days remaing.

In the call centre we have to be pretty generous - any ENT infection can wipe out the entire department if it's allowed to spread so we always give the benefit of the doubt. We are in nice big air-con offices now but we used to have 25 people in 1000 sq ft without air or windows - that was like managing germ warfare on a daily basis.

In technical - sickness is not an option.

KristineS
08-10-2008, 07:13 AM
In America it really varies by employer. If you get a generous one, you could have lots of sick and personal time. If not, you could be up a creek if something major happens. I understand that employers have to protect their interests, but it seems like there should be ways to work with employees if something major happens.