PDA

View Full Version : Health insurance coverage--interview opportunity

srawlings
03-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Hello,

I am a new member of the forum, my name is Susan Rawlings. Nice to *meet* all of you.

I am writing a post on health insurance for small business owners, and people who do self-pay. I am looking for comments, or an opportunity to interview some of you here for a post on the Affordable Care Coach blog that I am writing, documenting the difficulties and issues people are encountering with the Affordable Health Care Act/Obamacare.

I would love to hear from anyone who'd like to share their story.

I look forward to learning more about your journeys, and sharing them with others to provide them with some help and assistance with navigating the health care system.

Thanks!

Susan Rawlings

chrismarklee
03-11-2016, 04:58 PM
On the United States Income tax code, there are huge penalties now for not having health insurance. I do income taxes and I see it all the time. I have to tell by customer they owe this amount.

Bobjob
03-11-2016, 05:39 PM
You don't even want to know.

vangogh
03-12-2016, 12:52 AM
Welcome to the forum Susan. I didn't have any problems. The state of Colorado handles its own healthcare site. I went to the main federal site and was redirected to the state site. I spent a few days looking through the site and comparing a few health plans. I chose one and signed up. I didn't have any problems during the process.

Freelancier
03-12-2016, 07:34 AM
Before ACA, we couldn't even get insurance without being a two-person company (which got us around the pre-existing conditions limitations in the individual insurance market). So I employed my wife as person #2 in the company and our coverage costs about the same as what's in the individual market, but our doctor network is larger. I blame the insurance company for that. :) Once ACA came into effect, the only change we've seen is that our list of 100% paid items included our yearly check-up. Otherwise, no real change.

Companies under 50 employees -- the very definition of a "small business" -- are not bound by ACA, so any complaints about it are likely ideological instead of fact-based; if they want to offer their employees insurance, there are tax credits available to help them, but otherwise, they can ignore the law entirely except at an individual level.

vangogh
03-12-2016, 11:58 AM
any complaints about it are likely ideological instead of fact-based

Pretty much what I was thinking too.