PDA

View Full Version : Your Vehicle - Your Personality

OhioDude
03-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Just my humble opinion regarding the following personality traits vs what type of vehicle people purchase, or lease... (lease more common in nicer cars)

Economy Car ~ Student, Young Adult, Old Woman, Old Man, Poor Person, Tight Ass

Mid-Sized Sedan/Coupe ~ Middle-Aged, Middle-Class, Common Folk, Community College Grad, Conservative Person

Sports Car ~ College Grad/BA+, Leasing Gambler, (as in paycheck to paycheck wages) Free spirited, Impressionist, Thrill Seeker

Truck ~ Macho Man Wannabe, Construction Worker, Old Man, Blue Collar Worker, Hillbilly, Utility Worker

Classic Car ~ Dead Head, Hipster, Old Man, Young Rebel, Rich Person who owns Toys but doesn't appreciate the machine..., Seasoned Mechanic

Luxury ~ Old Men/Women, Hip Rich Folk, Over-Their-Head Leasing Fools, Wealthy, Upper Class, Gangstas!

:cool:

Harold Mansfield
03-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Just my humble opinion regarding the following personality traits vs what type of vehicle people purchase, or lease... (lease more common in nicer cars)

Economy Car ~ Student, Young Adult, Old Woman, Old Man, Poor Person, Tight Ass

Mid-Sized Sedan/Coupe ~ Middle-Aged, Middle-Class, Common Folk, Community College Grad, Conservative Person

Sports Car ~ College Grad/BA+, Leasing Gambler, (as in paycheck to paycheck wages) Free spirited, Impressionist, Thrill Seeker

Truck ~ Macho Man Wannabe, Construction Worker, Old Man, Blue Collar Worker, Hillbilly, Utility Worker

Classic Car ~ Dead Head, Hipster, Old Man, Young Rebel, Rich Person who owns Toys but doesn't appreciate the machine..., Seasoned Mechanic

Luxury ~ Old Men/Women, Hip Rich Folk, Over-Their-Head Leasing Fools, Wealthy, Upper Class, Gangstas!

:cool:

So basically these are just preconceived notions that you just made up in your mind? Interesting.

Fulcrum
03-06-2016, 09:19 PM
I've had all but luxury and classic. Does that mean I fall under multiple categories?

tallen
03-07-2016, 05:35 AM
OhioDude, you left out Minivans! (and SUV's)

Oh, and what if your one car fits in multiple categories, like, say, an economy mid-sized sports car (at least according to the manufacturer's marketing!)?

OhioDude
03-07-2016, 06:59 AM
Don't take this post so serious. lol It was just a random, fun (for me at least) thing to talk about.

I get a kick out of seeing who's driving what on the road and more often than not there's a lot of similarities in people and what they drive.

turboguy
03-07-2016, 08:24 AM
Wow, this thread sort of worries me. Since I have (sort of) owned cars in all categories that could mean I am suffering from multiple personality disorder.

The sort of comment is that when it comes to classic cars the ones I owned ( a 1950 Pontiac, 53 Chevy, 54 Mercury convertible, 55 Chevy and 57 Chevy) were not classic cars at the time. Those were my first cars as a teenager.

tallen
03-07-2016, 09:17 AM
Not taking it seriously, it's all tongue-in-cheek

OhioDude
03-07-2016, 09:33 AM
I use to own a Pontiac Formula back in the day. Found out it wasn't street legal so I turned it back in to the dealer and settled on a Toyota Corolla. My sports car days were over. Apparently the dealer bought the car at an auction and nobody bothered to check it out. I think they were concerned I was going to sue them or something because they were very nice and told me to pick anything on the used car lot. lol

Brian Altenhofel
03-07-2016, 10:47 AM
I use to own a Pontiac Formula back in the day. Found out it wasn't street legal so I turned it back in to the dealer and settled on a Toyota Corolla. My sports car days were over. Apparently the dealer bought the car at an auction and nobody bothered to check it out. I think they were concerned I was going to sue them or something because they were very nice and told me to pick anything on the used car lot. lol

Why wasn't it street legal? No head/tail-lights?

OhioDude
03-07-2016, 11:09 AM
No, all the emissions were stripped out, custom headers, etc. Wouldn't pass the Ohio eCheck at that time. I knew zero about engines so I had no clue. The dealer goofed up and it never went through their inspection I guess.

Brian Altenhofel
03-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Ah.

I remember inspections. On inspection day the catalytic converters and EVAP systems would get installed in the morning and removed that same evening.

Paul
03-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Wow, this thread sort of worries me. Since I have (sort of) owned cars in all categories that could mean I am suffering from multiple personality disorder.

The sort of comment is that when it comes to classic cars the ones I owned ( a 1950 Pontiac, 53 Chevy, 54 Mercury convertible, 55 Chevy and 57 Chevy) were not classic cars at the time. Those were my first cars as a teenager.

My first car was a white 57 t-bird, like the one in american graffiti. Of course mine didn't run but it sure looked great! Like you said wasn't classic then, just old. Should have kept it, but I sold it and got a Studebaker that did run. Oh well...

turboguy
03-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Fooling with cars in those days was a lot of fun. The 54 Mercury convertible I had was one that I did a lot to. I dropped a 57 T-Bird engine in it along with customizing the body, custom top and lots more. Well the standard electrical system was 6 volt on the merc and the Tbird was 12 V so it usually would not start so I always had to park on a hill.

When I listed those I forgot the 54 Dodge. That car was something I would rather forget. It had an automatic transmission but no park on it. I can recall parking in front of a friends house, walking up to the door and looking back and my car was rolling down the street towards a bread truck. I ran after it, grabbed the door handle and the door handle fell off in my hand. Fortunately the window was down and I did get it to miss the bread truck. Lots of things like loosing brakes were common. Those days you had to take a brake spoon and set up your brakes occasionally. Self adjusting brakes came later. We were always working on cars and it was a great experience.

Paul
03-07-2016, 07:29 PM
My Studebaker was a rickety old thing. The windows actually didn't go up all the way, of course they were crank handles. All winter with open windows, seems crazy but it was my first car.

I grew up in a town in PA that was considered the #2 cruising town next to the sunset strip at the time. Friday and Sat nights were literally bumper to bumper both ways on the main strip. I was not mechanical but many friends were always working on their cars. I did get to drive a few very fast cars and spun a few out. No synchronized transmissions then. If you bucked the car in first gear and stalled out you were an idiot! Just as bad was grinding the gears when shifting.

There was a open strip of road in Philly where everyone would go and line up their cars to drag race against a random opponent. Was just a big party till the police broke it up eventually. It was a fun time...getting nostalgic now.

BNB
03-09-2016, 02:18 PM
I own cars in several of these categories. I guess I'm a thrillseeking upper class hillbilly. Cool.

Harold Mansfield
03-09-2016, 03:46 PM
My main mode of transportation for the last few years has been cabs and lately Uber. I don't think it says anything about my personality other than I really don't want to pay $700+ a month to keep a car that I don't need to go to work, or run errands. And that I enjoy a good happy hour without ever having to worry about getting pulled over.

I have been thinking about a truck, but it's definitely not a need at this point.

In the past I've owned everything from a classic '69 Camaro, to SUV's, to a few mid sized back and forth to work vehicles.
Haven't been excited about any car for a while now, other than the possibility of self driving ones.

OhioDude
03-09-2016, 08:49 PM
I'm still trying to talk the wife into a motorcycle! And, it's been nearly 20+ years. Heck, at this rate I'll settle for a scooter! I have a bicycle but who wants to peddle?

Fulcrum
03-09-2016, 10:08 PM
I'm still trying to talk the wife into a motorcycle! And, it's been nearly 20+ years. Heck, at this rate I'll settle for a scooter! I have a bicycle but who wants to peddle?

Just add a small motor to it and you're good to go.

Edit: Check to make sure you don't violate any laws with this. Some areas are more stringent than others when talking about powered mobility.