PDA

View Full Version : Why do women dominate the online platforms?

OhioDude
03-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Is it me, or does it seem like every other Pinterest ad seems to come from a woman who is either pushing her "cooking" videos, blog recipes or workout routines? I mean, do they actually make money doing this?

I think these are "hobbyist" people who have some other means of support (spouse?) and are just doing that for fun. (just read their profiles)

When you're trying to decide on your own business and you look at platforms like Pinterest, YouTube, Facebook, and the countless other things online it's very frustrating to know if even 1% of them are making a profit. I doubt it!

My point is I'm trying to not let the millions of stay-at-home hobby moms dictate my reasoning on a real business idea. Unfortunately, it's difficult to know because they seem to dominate social media.

If I see one more crock pot recipe or one more yoga pants "lose ten pounds in one week" video I'm gonna scream! lol

Fulcrum
03-06-2016, 08:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip_O3QAyk5I

If I see one more crock pot recipe or one more yoga pants "lose ten pounds in one week" video I'm gonna scream!

You know I had to do put this up now.

OhioDude
03-06-2016, 08:13 AM
I'm not clicking on that. Probably a virus. :cool:

Harold Mansfield
03-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Is it me, or does it seem like every other Pinterest ad seems to come from a woman who is either pushing her "cooking" videos, blog recipes or workout routines? I mean, do they actually make money doing this?

I think these are "hobbyist" people who have some other means of support (spouse?) and are just doing that for fun. (just read their profiles)

When you're trying to decide on your own business and you look at platforms like Pinterest, YouTube, Facebook, and the countless other things online it's very frustrating to know if even 1% of them are making a profit. I doubt it!

My point is I'm trying to not let the millions of stay-at-home hobby moms dictate my reasoning on a real business idea. Unfortunately, it's difficult to know because they seem to dominate social media.

If I see one more crock pot recipe or one more yoga pants "lose ten pounds in one week" video I'm gonna scream! lol

Women don't dominate online, but they are probably more visible than other platforms and mediums because they (just like everyone else) can do it themselves and don't have to wait to be promoted, or "given" an opportunity. The web is a even playing field and anyone can get on it if they want to.

I belong to a Facebook newsletter marketing group that is absolutely dominated by women including the owner of the group. Mostly it's hundreds of women doing the exact same thing...Housewife stuff, Relationship stuff, Fitness stuff, Mom stuff.

Some of them are knocking it out of the park, and some aren't...just like everyone else online. Of the ones who have built little empires from nothing, they are exactly what everyone who expects to use the web to make money should be studying.

Do they make money on Pinterest? Some do. Promoted Pins and ecommerce makes money on Pinterest. And some just do it purely for the enjoyment of communicating with people who are interested in the same things.

I don't see how other people doing their thing dictates you doing yours.

Paul
03-06-2016, 02:00 PM
I think women just naturally interact more with each other regarding common interests. Health (YOGA) , weight loss, cooking, fashion, parenting, hair, beauty, career, entertainment, home decor etc are all topics for discussion. In comparison I don’t think men are quite that interactive with each other even on traditional “mens” topics. From a marketing perspective it is a very rich target market.

OhioDude
03-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Men don't have as many common topics out there as women seem to have. Men make videos too, don't get me wrong, but women seem to naturally dominate a market (at least in this country) of popular subject matter which is mostly food, fitness and general gossipy stuff. People feel more comfortable with women, it's natural instinct. I get all that.

So, what does one do as a male? It's difficult but very doable. I am always brainstorming ideas and maybe I might come across something that I can get into and others can find useful. With that said, when does it become an actual money making opportunity vs just a fun hobby? That's where it gets sketchy. Anyone can write a blog or make a video, but how you incorporate content, video, interest, ads and making money off that is another story.

This is what I need to learn so to speak. How can I turn something I really like into a possible income generating venue. Isn't that why we're all here?

Harold Mansfield
03-06-2016, 06:06 PM
Men don't have as many common topics out there as women seem to have. Men make videos too, don't get me wrong, but women seem to naturally dominate a market (at least in this country) of popular subject matter which is mostly food, fitness and general gossipy stuff. People feel more comfortable with women, it's natural instinct. I get all that.

Most of my clients tend to be women. Not because I target them as women. I wouldn't even know how to do that, besides my services aren't gender specific. I think it's just that there are more women than ever starting their own thing.

So, what does one do as a male? It's difficult but very doable. I am always brainstorming ideas and maybe I might come across something that I can get into and others can find useful. With that said, when does it become an actual money making opportunity vs just a fun hobby? That's where it gets sketchy. Anyone can write a blog or make a video, but how you incorporate content, video, interest, ads and making money off that is another story.

Actually no, anyone can't write a blog or make a video. A lot of people with blogs are horrible writers, and video takes some kind of talent. True enough that anyone can put something online, but it also has to be good.
But again, these are just avenues to promote your actual product or service.

This is what I need to learn so to speak. How can I turn something I really like into a possible income generating venue. Isn't that why we're all here?

It's not so much "What can I do to make money online?" as much as it is what product or service can I provide that will be of interest and helpful to a target market, and how do I use the web to promote and sell it? Online is not the business. It's where you market the business.

Male or Female has nothing to do with it unless what you're doing is gender specific.

OhioDude
03-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Thanks Harold, maybe I'm jealous of women then, but I understand.

You see, I'm not blessed sporting a 5'-2", 110 pound pretty face. Sex sells, I'm being blunt, but it's true. So, trying to compete in that market (whoever likes to watch sexy women doing things) is pointless. Or, one could hire that out I suppose...but I'm not into that. I'm looking forward to the day I can do what I like to do and have other people benefit from that service, so I don't have to rely on the "man" to dictate my financial independence.

I'm confident I'll find that one day and discussing business with others is a blast.

Yeah, the passion is there, but is the body, mind and spirit...willing?

Harold Mansfield
03-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Thanks Harold, maybe I'm jealous of women then, but I understand.

You see, I'm not blessed sporting a 5'-2", 110 pound pretty face. Sex sells, I'm being blunt, but it's true. So, trying to compete in that market (whoever likes to watch sexy women doing things) is pointless. Or, one could hire that out I suppose...but I'm not into that. I'm looking forward to the day I can do what I like to do and have other people benefit from that service, so I don't have to rely on the "man" to dictate my financial independence.

I think you're too focused on what other people are doing, but not for the right reasons. Why do you consider sexy women online your competition? Or is it that you think that's what you need to do to get attention? Regardless of how it looks from the outside, once you get past the looks the product still has to be good.

Fulcrum
03-06-2016, 09:07 PM
I think you're too focused on what other people are doing, but not for the right reasons. Why do you consider sexy women online your competition? Or is it that you think that's what you need to do to get attention? Regardless of how it looks from the outside, once you get past the looks the product still has to be good.

With regards to this conversation, this point can't be stressed enough. Look at all the good looking YouTube "stars" (both male and female) that have lots of followers, subscribers, and real life fan recognition, yet they work low end service jobs because they are unable to monetize their markets. Whenever they try, they get called sellouts and greedy capitalist "children without fathers" while their followers look for the next free time waster.

tallen
03-07-2016, 05:49 AM
I challenge the notion that women dominate online -- there are tons of online communities on tons of different topics; you are probably just looking at topics that maybe attract women more than men -- there are plenty of online communities (and topics) dominated by men...

OhioDude
03-07-2016, 09:54 AM
I mentioned women in my original topic post because to me, it just seems like most of the online communications are flooded with women and their services. No, I do not have any solid proof of this and it's only a personal observation, whether it's accurate or not. Thanks for giving me reasoning on this.