PDA

View Full Version : Amazon removes encryption from devices

Brian Altenhofel
03-03-2016, 01:49 PM
Amazon Just Removed Encryption From the Software Powering Kindles, Smartphones, Tablets - Slashdot (http://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/03/03/1725253/amazon-just-removed-encryption-from-the-software-powering-kindles-smartphones-tablets?utm_source=slashdot&utm_medium=facebook)

MyITGuy
03-03-2016, 02:46 PM
Never liked their devices anyhow, but if I did this would be a major factor in my purchase (or rather not purchasing the device).

Harold Mansfield
03-03-2016, 02:55 PM
I have mixed feelings. On the one hand if you need encryption on your tablet you should probably get something other than a $49 Kindle reader.
As for Fire TV...yeah my Roku, XBOX or Chromecast probably aren't encrypted either. Neither is my cable box. Do I really need it there? I already know my viewing habits are how they determine ratings, and ad demographics and it's been like that for decades and I'm fine with that.

As for Fire Phone? C'mon no one has one of those. I think they sold 3.

I guess my point is that Amazon devices aren't where I'd look for encryption or necessarily need it. My phone, desktop, laptop and main tablet. That's where I want it. Also, you can have as much security as you want on your home network ( where people use those devices). You don't need Amazon to do it for you.

They said the reason they stopped supporting it was because no one was using it. I'm sure now that they've taken it away people will come out of the woodwork claiming that they were just about to use the feature.

Honestly, these are consumer level entertainment devices. I don't need them to be encrypted.

Harold Mansfield
03-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Looks like they just flip flopped.
Amazon flip-flops, will protect user data on Fire tablets after all - CNET (http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-flip-flops-will-protect-user-data-on-fire-tablets-after-all/)

MyITGuy
03-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Glad to see they changed their mind...although I will be keeping this in mind in the event I have any desire to buy their devices in the future (Don't like when companies flip/flop so quickly)

While I don't see a need to encrypt the storage devices of the Fire TV's, Rokus, Chromecast or etc (Communications should still be encrypted to prevent third parties from seeing my traffic), I absolutely think that any device that has the ability to store personal data should have their storage devices encrypted regardless of it being for consumer/business use.