PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress plugins?

Endnor
02-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Hey. I have a website, Endnor.com. It's a site aimed at small & freshly started businesses that serves as a platform for them to list products and service packages.

I'm currently using squarespace. But I have other ideas I want to implement in the website that squarespace doesn't allow for.

Does Wordpress or any other website builder offer category filters and search by area code functions? This would be helpful in allowing customers to view product/service listings in their area radius and filter results by category (I.e. Restaurants, car repair, cooking, furniture)

Does any website builder offer plugins for users to create accounts? And have an "account overview" feature? I would like to give small businesses aka partners a portal embedded on the Endnor.com website for them to submit their product/service packages from, view their earnings, view their incoming orders, etc.

Anyone that can let me know the feasibility of this, as well as any critique of the website/business model will be greatly appreciated.

Harold Mansfield
02-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Hey. I have a website, Squarespace - Claim This Domain (http://www.Endnor.com). It's a site aimed at small & freshly started businesses that serves as a platform for them to list products and service packages.

I'm currently using squarespace. But I have other ideas I want to implement in the website that squarespace doesn't allow for.

Does Wordpress or any other website builder offer category filters and search by area code functions? This would be helpful in allowing customers to view product/service listings in their area radius and filter results by category (I.e. Restaurants, car repair, cooking, furniture)

Does any website builder offer plugins for users to create accounts? And have an "account overview" feature? I would like to give small businesses aka partners a portal embedded on the Endnor.com website for them to submit their product/service packages from, view their earnings, view their incoming orders, etc.

Anyone that can let me know the feasibility of this, as well as any critique of the website/business model will be greatly appreciated.

With WordPress it's yes and no. Yes you can build a WordPress site with the functionality that you listed. But no it's not all wrapped in a plug in. It could be a combination of plug ins and some features may need to be custom coded. By default WordPress already has categories and support for search functionality.

###

As for my critique of the business model, it's been done so many times before and it usually fails because the owners don't have the resources to build and market in a way to be any kind of contender with what's already out there, and people don't use directories anymore..which is what you're describing. At least not general, 1000 category business listings. We have search engines now.

I still believe in the niche directory, but the general "all small businesses" has been repeated over and over again. It's usually the first idea someone has when they're trying to come up with ideas to make money online. Sorry, that's just the truth.

That's just my opinion and it should in no way discourage you, just give you more to think about. Do something different that people actually need or will want, or that solves a problem.

The general idea when people come up with this, is that they think they're providing a service to small business owners. But they really aren't. It's only beneficial to a small business if you have actual people using it.

It's marketing on both sides of the coin, and that's usually where these fail, besides the obvious that search engines exist and no consumer needs a business directory to find what they want. I can literally just ask Google, Alexa, or Cortana and they will tell me and show me on screen.