PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist automators

Vivid Color Zack
07-09-2009, 06:48 PM
I've just started using craigslist a little more in the creative services section. I was approached by a few services offering automated placement in select cities, etc.

Anyone have experience using a craigslist auto poster?

vangogh
07-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Yeah, it's called spam. You're only allowed to post in one city. Those automated placement services have helped turned craigslist into a less and less useful site.

Jen Taylor
07-13-2009, 08:02 PM
I recommend against it. Here's some of my opinions.

1. It's spammy (to use the technical term).

2. If your url shows up to many times, your posts will get auto banned or "ghosted". There's been some debate on this but most of the threads I've read on this tend to agree that posting too many times will turn your url into a red flag.

3. To get around this, some of the auto posters are posting the ad as a image. Since it's a image, you don't enjoy the benefits of people searching for a keyword. However someone could still add keywords after the image but it's not as good.

4. Would you trust a company that post their sales page as a image? Just seems suspicious to me.

5. Depending on the section (Services for example)the cost per post can be quiet high. You're probably better off just throwing that money into a google adword campaign.

vangogh
07-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Welcome to the forum Jen.

All good points. A lot of people do attempt to use automated posting, but the people who search Craig's List consistently will recognize your ad showing up over and over and flag it as spam. Trust is an important part of doing business and the auto posting is a quick way to erode trust.

rezzy
07-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Plus its against their TOS to use automated generators. I was working on an app to scrap their webpages, looking for information and in the terms of service it forbids these types of applications.

My suggestion is dont do it. Zack, have you seen any business off of craigslist?

Jen Taylor
07-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Welcome to the forum Jen.

Thank you! It's the posts from Dan Furman, CBSCreative, and yours that convinced me to join.

And the other great posts as well from other members. =)

vangogh
07-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the posts. Glad we could get you to take the plunge and sign up. While Dan, Steve, and myself now have swelled heads and egos, I'll add that we have many great members here with lots to say and share.

But feel free to keep lauding the praise on the 3 of us :)

Dan Furman
07-14-2009, 05:59 PM
While Dan, Steve, and myself now have swelled heads and egos, I'll add that we have many great members here with lots to say and share.

But feel free to keep lauding the praise on the 3 of us :)

Confession - I've known Jen for years :) - best photoshop person alive, amongst other things.

Awesome to see you here, Jen.

vangogh
07-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Funny. I thought I noticed you two showing as friends on your profile. Does that mean the recommendation for your posts doesn't really count now and me and Steve get to split the extra ego boost? :)

Vivid Color Zack
07-21-2009, 04:17 PM
I've had great response using craigslist in multiple cities across the US in the past two weeks. Probably 20-30 new accounts created from it just posting in the creative services section. Craigslist traffic has been way higher than my adwords traffic. I was thinking if I used some kind of auto poster (yes its spammy but it's not like it's not legitimate advertising and I wouldn't be flooding the place in every category or anything) to post in more cities.

rezzy
07-21-2009, 04:51 PM
You could use something to make posting less work, but true automation is against their TOS and can get you banned or something.

They monitor that type of stuff heavily.

Vivid Color Zack
07-22-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure having one of my accounts banned on CL is that big of a concern. Realistically they are going to be pursuing the companies that are posting everything on there and post a million ads a day. They don't have time to worry about little old me.

I'm considering it still. I don't see 30 bucks as a major loss if it doesn't work out.

vangogh
07-23-2009, 12:54 AM
$30 might not be a big loss, but the hit to your reputation may be worse. Good chance you'll be reported as a spammer and why risk that. I'll be honest. If I see your ad and I know it's auto posted I will report it. That kind of thing makes Craig's List a less useful site and I like using their site. It just pollutes the listings.

Also something that costs you $30 for what you're considering marketing, isn't likely to be worth all that much. $30 isn't what you're risking here. You're looking for a quick route to profit and that really doesn't exist.

rezzy
07-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Zack, I understand the feeling of getting the great publicity through Craiglist. I agree it can be a great publicity method, I have also considered automating that process.

But who likes spam? No one I know wakes up and says I love spam email, telemarkters and the rest.

If you are purchasing a program, CL has seen it before and once they see it happening can quickly block off your IP. Web companies know the software packages people are using to submit information and they have built systems to thwart them. Akismet is the most famous spam system.

If you cant complete you own submissions, I say dont do it. It just isnt professional to spam a site in my eyes and CL will have the last word if you decide to follow through.

Vivid Color Zack
07-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Fair enough, and good points.

I'll stick to posting my own ads then. If I'm targeting the whole US I don't see why I'm restricted to my own city to post in. That's my main goal is to reach a broader target audience, not post the same thing a hundred times in OC or wherever I want to post.

vangogh
07-27-2009, 04:28 PM
If I'm targeting the whole US I don't see why I'm restricted to my own city to post in.

I agree and I think Craig's List would do well to introduce some more national categories. However in their defense, the site was always meant to work as a local classified. It's purpose isn't to let us advertise. I believe the site came about because Craig Newmark was having trouble finding an apartment and maybe a few things after moving to San Francisco. He built the site to help others find those same things when they moved into the area.

Craig's List really doesn't care whether you or I find it easy to market our businesses on the site. That's not it's intent.

jonicode
09-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Turn away from such a spammy approach and don't look back. As a consumer, I am really turned off by such automated processes, that's why as much as possible I don't lean on such methods.

Vivid Color Zack
09-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Hmm... I guess maybe it's a generational gap? I can't see myself not buying any product because of their web advertising tactics. I think the godaddy ads are stupid, but I like their services so I'll keep using them. I don't like carls Jr. calling out mcdonalds in a recent ad, but I'll still eat there.

I sincerely don't look at it as spam, which may be the other reason I'm disagreeing with you guys. I'm posting in relevant categories and I'm providing legitimate services. I think spam has to consist of useless, misplaced, irrelevant or completely false ads.

If you look at it in a broader scheme isn't a banner ad pretty much the same thing? Would any of you guys not purchase from a vendor because they chose to use banner ads to advertise?

I understand the purpose craigslist was built on but they have a "small biz ads" section for a reason so I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to support advertising of this type a little more. I think mostly it's preventative for others who would be "spamming" in a more traditional sense.

Vivid Color Zack
09-18-2009, 04:47 PM
I'll be honest. If I see your ad and I know it's auto posted I will report it. That kind of thing makes Craig's List a less useful site and I like using their site. It just pollutes the listings.

Also, that reminded me, regardless if it's auto generated or not... competitors flag each others ads using "auto flag" software - craigslist is becoming a war-zone!!!

vangogh
09-19-2009, 12:29 AM
That's true. It's ridiculous sometimes the lengths people will go in the name of competition.