PDA

View Full Version : Show this to your kids the next time they complain about technology

Harold Mansfield
02-02-2016, 06:02 PM
If you have kids and they're always complaining about technology, things not being fast enough, that you don't have the fastest internet connection, wifi, or that they don't have the latest and greatest phone or whatever. Show them this. When they ask what it is, tell them it's called "Shut the hell up!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1UY7eDRXrs

vangogh
02-02-2016, 07:27 PM
"When I was your age we used to have to walk to the internet, in the snow, barefoot, and uphill both ways "

"Hey you kids, get off my internet"

Ah the good old days of dial up.

Harold Mansfield
02-02-2016, 07:45 PM
I love the middle graphic of the man running with the lines behind it to signify speed.
#‎TheStruggleWasReal‬

Freelancier
02-02-2016, 07:58 PM
My first "dial-up" connection was 300 baud at college before anyone else around had that ability. Still faster than typing punch cards, which is what everyone else was doing.

Nowwwww I feel old. Get off my lawn!!!

Harold Mansfield
02-02-2016, 08:10 PM
I got my first home computer (A Compaq Presario 200G Hard Drive, 2G RAM with a 15" flat screen monitor) right before speeds went to 56k. I started with AOL. Then got Earthlink DSL at 56k, and a dedicated fax line.

That was tech pimpin' at the time.

Paul
02-02-2016, 11:09 PM
Dial up internet…we were lucky to have a dial up phone when I was a kid! Anyone remember phone booths? Being social required having to actually go somewhere where other people were.

Saw a really silly movie, “Time machine hot tub”. A funny line for me was when the internet tech kid traveled back in time before computers. He met a girl and asked her for her contact info, email and face book etc. She didn’t know what the heck he was talking about. He asked, “Well, then how am I going to contact you?” She said “you have to come to town and look for me”. Then he said “Oh wow, that sounds exhausting”. Any way it was funny to me and that’s the way it was.

I’m so old my first computer was a big metal IBM with NO hard drive, just floppy. What a beast, there was no Internet so I can’t even remember what it was I did on it . Don’t think it even had a mouse.

Brian Altenhofel
02-03-2016, 12:16 AM
14.4K was my first home Internet connection. Computer was 386SX, 8MB RAM (30-pin SIMMs), 200MB HDD, 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drives, 13" CRT monitor, dot matrix printer. I probably still have it - I'm really bad/good about collecting old computer hardware.

Freelancier
02-03-2016, 07:09 AM
You guys probably didn't have the fun of having a phone coupler... dial a number, listen for the whistle, fit the handset into the coupler, wheeeeeeeeee

Harold Mansfield
02-03-2016, 12:45 PM
You guys probably didn't have the fun of having a phone coupler... dial a number, listen for the whistle, fit the handset into the coupler, wheeeeeeeeee
Boy that does sound like fun.

Brian Altenhofel
02-03-2016, 01:11 PM

Unfortunately, no. My first modem was a serial modem. Second was an ISA card. It was two computers later before the modem was a PCI card.

KristineS
02-11-2016, 11:19 AM
I remember when I got my first desktop, which was huge and hooked up to dial up internet. I was so excited. Seems crazy to think about now when I'll barely wait three seconds for something to load. Also, couldn't use the phone if you were on the internet. Ahh, the good old days.