PDA

View Full Version : Twitter Bootstrap or Zurb Foundation

krymson
02-01-2016, 04:02 PM
So this is an internal battle that I'm having within myself. I have extensive knowledge of both Bootstrap and Foundation. I can't decide which one I like more and I would like to get your opinions...

Both have many of the same pro's as they do cons... is this a case of personal preference?

I believe bootstrap has more built-in javascript functionalities which is where I think it is set apart.

What is your preference?

Harold Mansfield
02-01-2016, 04:52 PM
You're right. It's personal preference and which has the best of what you need, for the job that you need it to do.

vangogh
02-01-2016, 05:15 PM
I don't know that one is any better than the other. I think it's more personal preference too. I generally don't use either. I don't care much for 3rd party frameworks. I think they lead to everything looking the same and I'd rather have something that's customized for my needs. I find it's quicker to build something custom than it is to customize someone else's framework.

I don't think frameworks are bad and that no one should ever use them, but they aren't for me.

bootstrap has more built-in javascript functionalities

A downside to that is there's probably more javascript that you have to wait to download before you can use any of the functionality. Unless you're using all that javascript functionality, you're making people download a lot of excess code.

Brian Altenhofel
02-01-2016, 05:16 PM
It's mostly personal preference. Both are really designed for rapid prototyping. Neither should be relied upon in most cases, though a lot of folks do.

I've worked with both on various projects and I find myself (and other back-end devs) preferring Bootstrap. The front-end devs I've worked with tend to prefer Foundation. It might be that some concepts in one or the other are better understood by each group, or it could be just group think. I don't know - I've never really bothered to dig much into it.

Both cause websites/applications to be really bloated when they make it to production. Why? Because most developers end up overriding everything but the layout system and maybe the system messages. They also end up not actually using 95% of the Javascript they ship. They ship much more data to users than is actually necessary to render the page. An article I strongly encourage any web developer to read is The Website Obesity Crisis (http://idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm)

krymson
02-02-2016, 02:21 PM
Personally when i build sites I'll use either, as far as the JS goes, most people just include the full bootstrap.min.js I use the individual files to reduce clutter and excess code. But i guess the CSS framework is pretty much the same.