PDA

View Full Version : In business, What do you want to achieve?

NahidHasan
01-19-2016, 09:17 AM
I am running an Internet Marketing firm since 2010. I also have lots of passive income generating websites. Everyone wants more money. But how do you want to achieve that?

We have two options to do that. Either by 100 duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck. Which one you prefer?

Freelancier
01-19-2016, 11:09 AM
I'd rather have 10 customers paying me $20,000 a year than one customer paying me $200,000 per year.

turboguy
01-19-2016, 11:11 AM
I guess it is a case of if you want a nice lawn would you rather chase after 100 ducks cleaning up a lot of duck droppings or chase after 1 big one picking up bigger droppings less often. Diversity can be good but doing one thing well and being focused is often a better way to go. Being diversified and being scattered are close cousins.

turboguy
01-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Good point Freelancer. I can always remember going to one of the most elaborate sales meetings I ever went to. They went all out and showed us a chart saying they were the second fastest growing company in the USA. They also mentioned that one customer was 75% of their business. The next year they cancelled their sales meeting because business was so slow. The big customer had carryover and ordered nothing.

It is probably better to have 10 dog sized ducks. If I see any around I will send them your way.

Freelancier
01-19-2016, 02:51 PM
I got into consulting so that I wouldn't rely on "one boss/one company", because the fate of that one company became my fate, for better or (mostly) worse. Even within my own life, we have 4 businesses going at one time, each having a target growth pattern and a reason for existing as it relates to our family financial model.

Harold Mansfield
01-19-2016, 04:22 PM
I am running an Internet Marketing firm since 2010. I also have lots of passive income generating websites. Everyone wants more money. But how do you want to achieve that?

We have two options to do that. Either by 100 duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck. Which one you prefer?
What do you mean by "we"?

NahidHasan
01-20-2016, 12:21 AM
What do you mean by "we"?

Actually I tried to show an overall scenario for all of us. Every one actually has this two options. And also tried to ask what will you do or what you are doing in your career?

I am sorry, may be my post was not clear enough :(

Harold Mansfield
01-20-2016, 11:05 AM
Actually I tried to show an overall scenario for all of us. Every one actually has this two options. And also tried to ask what will you do or what you are doing in your career?

I am sorry, may be my post was not clear enough :(

No, you're fine. I think there are more than 2 options though. I think today there are a variety of opportunities that people can capitalize on that don't fit into traditional molds. IMO flexibility is the key to success. Not trying to be all of one thing or another. It also depends on what you call success.

For me, I want to crush all of my enemies and rule the universe ushering in an era of unparalleled prosperity for all.