PDA

View Full Version : How tech savvy do you consider yourself?

Harold Mansfield
01-18-2016, 01:03 PM
We all use technology, but everyone has varying degrees of understanding it.

Based on the technology that you use and depend on everyday, how well would you say you actually understand how to use it?

Also, what areas do you think you could stand to know more, or would love to learn more about?

vangogh
01-18-2016, 01:22 PM
I voted for master of my tech universe, but I think as I get older I'm falling back to being pretty tech savvy instead. The change isn't from a lack of understanding, but more a lack of desire in wanting to know more. I find as I get older I have less patience for figuring out tech issues. I just want stuff to work even if that means less options for me to configure to get things exactly how I might like them.

There's plenty more I can learn and I have enough confidence in myself to learn whatever interests me. I'm just finding less that I'm interested in learning about where tech is concerned lately. After awhile it feels like I'm spending all my time managing the technology instead of using it.

turboguy
01-18-2016, 01:41 PM
I was the first to vote for "somewhat". One of the problems for me is that I deal in so many different technologies that it is hard to be as expert in any as I would like. Some of the things I deal in would be a stretch to call them a technology but they still take time to learn and understand. Accounting might be something that falls in the class of taking time but not really being what you would consider a technology. Still I need to be able to understand it fully and interpret the numbers I see.

Sometimes to the things you will be working with change. For example I was getting pretty comfortable with DreamWeaver but I no longer use it and have moved on to WordPress which I would still call myself a beginner. I will probably never get beyond "somewhat" with WordPress. Some things like Cad I am getting pretty good at. Overall I would thing somewhat it the best answer for me.

Harold Mansfield
01-18-2016, 01:44 PM
After awhile it feels like I'm spending all my time managing the technology instead of using it.

I know what you mean. This past weekend I realized that I'm on 4 different ecosystems of voice controlled devices just in one room. It's a bit much. For me, I just like new stuff and new tech. But it does get out of control.

Freelancier
01-18-2016, 01:49 PM
I accept that I'll never be a master of any particular tech universe, just because it takes more time than I'm willing to invest in something that will obsolete in 3 years.

MyITGuy
01-18-2016, 08:19 PM
Think it goes without saying ;)

Harold Mansfield
01-19-2016, 01:49 PM
I accept that I'll never be a master of any particular tech universe, just because it takes more time than I'm willing to invest in something that will obsolete in 3 years.

I've spent tons of hours and money learning or buying something that ended up being a bust. I'm still pissed off that I brought a netbook the year before tablets came out.

KristineS
01-19-2016, 02:51 PM
I selected somewhat. I like technology and what it can do for me, but I'm not obsessed with finding every app or mastering every function. I'm probably more low tech than I should be in a lot of areas of my life.

Harold Mansfield
01-21-2016, 12:55 PM
I selected somewhat. I like technology and what it can do for me, but I'm not obsessed with finding every app or mastering every function.

I tend to get obsessed over specific things once I think that it can be done.

But I'm also easily bored and not easily impressed. I think right now we're in a tech overload with many players trying to create standards and ecosystems that don't play well with each other and it makes a lot of people tune out.