PDA

View Full Version : Does having a separate blog from website improve SEO?

ashlen
01-14-2016, 04:46 PM
I recently started a Blogger blog and am wondering if it will improve SEO for my website at all? It is separate from my website. I was thinking of inserting a 'Blog' link on my website and then having a second window open but wonder if it is better to integrate the blog into the website?

vangogh
01-14-2016, 05:04 PM
It's much better to integrate the blog with your site and have them both be on your own domain. Having a blog on Blogger won't do anything for your site. They're completely separate sites and that's how search engines will see it. There was a time when SEOs would create multiple sites for the purpose of linking them together, but search engines can detect that kind of artificial link manipulation and discount the links or worse, place a penalty on your site.

The way I would think about it is to ask yourself if the content on both sites is related and meant for a similar audience. If so, one site will be better than two. I think your site and blog fall under that condition. On the other hand if the content is on different subjects and/or it's for different audiences, it makes more sense to have two independent sites. For example I wouldn't have a site with content about both gardening and football. I would probably separate profession football from high school football as both likely appeal to different audiences. That decision depends on the details though. Someone else might decide one site would still be better in that case.

Again, in your case, I think one site will be far better than two. Hope that helps and makes sense.

Harold Mansfield
01-14-2016, 06:47 PM
I recently started a Blogger blog and am wondering if it will improve SEO for my website at all? It is separate from my website. I was thinking of inserting a 'Blog' link on my website and then having a second window open but wonder if it is better to integrate the blog into the website?

No, it will not improve your SEO. Actually what you've just done is devalue both the website and the blog by splitting up your resources and now have to market and SEO each separately. You've created more work for yourself.

It's always best to keep your content organized, and on the same site so that it can all work together.
The only reason ( and of course there are exceptions to every rule) to separate content to a different site would be if it's a completely different brand or company.

The belief that Google gives blogger blogs more consideration and therefore your blogger blog will help the rankings of the website it's linked to is total fiction. It has never been true.

CoolHandCol
03-26-2016, 04:28 PM
They're right. Plus it is confusing for visitors to your website or blog. Definitely have the blog on the same domain as your website

seanfalconer
04-12-2016, 07:30 PM
You're definitely going to want to move your blog into a subdirectory or subdomain of your main site. There's some debate over which is better or if it matters, but I think if you're starting from scratch and it's an option, go with subdirectory.

Moz has a write up on it: https://moz.com/blog/subdomains-vs-subfolders-rel-canonical-vs-301-how-to-structure-links-optimally-for-seo-whiteboard-friday

Good luck.

tmcmahon
05-09-2016, 05:23 PM
you're starting from scratch and it's an option, go with subdirectory.

Agreed 100% - I even try to get clients to migrate their blogs from subdirectories to subdomains if resources allow it.

Natalie
05-11-2016, 08:19 PM
Having a blog on your website is better for SEO than having a blog on a separate platform. However, if you decide to continue posting on a separate platform, try to incorporate lots of relevant cross-links to your website to synergise the two, where possible. That will help.

kb24
06-14-2016, 08:19 PM

Yes it is better if you include your blog into your website. It will keep your website fresh of content. Google loves fresh content. If your content is well written then it will get shared through social mediums ( tweets, fb shares ec) Giving you traffic to your site.

seowares.com
06-23-2016, 09:16 AM
You are better off integrating them into one to gain the most authority and traffic on one website. Having them seperate increases the overall effort needed to rank high because it splits your domain based authority and ranking factors.

sweetsdailyupdates
08-11-2016, 02:17 AM
I recommend to add blog section in your site. Because if you add your valuable content to other platform like word press or blogger so it will never helps you to boost your ranking. So just add your valuable content in your site's blog section and just circulate in social sites.

Google will find new content in your site so it will definitely help you in ranking as well. And if you circulate your blog in social sites so it will also helps to increase your traffic.