PDA

View Full Version : I want to hear (honest) opinion from non-tech people

btbl
01-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Hey.

I started my blog which should help to a non-tech, small-business owners who own or intent to own a website. Also it should help my existing clients to understand some things usefull for them and that are related to web dev.

As I said, I would like to hear you honest opinion about the articles and contents of these.

Also I would like suggestions of what I should correct or upgrade. I already had few things on my mind, but I don't want to reveal it yet - I want to hear you first. :)

URL is here: Balkan Outsource Blog - Guides for business usage of the internet and web programs (http://balkanoutsource.com/blog)

Thanks in advance.

Harold Mansfield
01-12-2016, 01:48 PM
You kind of shoot yourself in the foot posting online and then saying you don't want the opinion of "tech" people. It's the "tech" people who understand the web, marketing and how to do this stuff that are going to give you the best advice.

If all you want is the opinion of people who have no idea what they're doing either, I fail to see how it's going to help you.

Freelancier
01-12-2016, 02:20 PM
"I want opinions from people who know less than I do" is not exactly the best way to improve the content of your articles.

btbl
01-12-2016, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the answers.

@Harold: Maybe I need to explain why I want a non-tech people to comment. It's b/c the blog is not about technical guides such as programming, webdesign, Photoshop, SEO and other related tutorials. Point is to teach people from other industries (Sales, Marketing, HR, Sport, Fitness, Automotive, Law, Journalism, etc.) some basics what they need to know if they own or intend to own a website. If I have no idea about cars, I would really like someone from industry to tell me what is important to check before I buy a new car. Make sense? You still think I missed point? :)

@Freelancier: I want opionions from people who know different things not who know less. ;) Check above.

Harold Mansfield
01-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the answers.

@Harold: Maybe I need to explain why I want a non-tech people to comment. It's b/c the blog is not about technical guides such as programming, webdesign, Photoshop, SEO and other related tutorials. Point is to teach people from other industries (Sales, Marketing, HR, Sport, Fitness, Automotive, Law, Journalism, etc.) some basics what they need to know if they own or intend to own a website. If I have no idea about cars, I would really like someone from industry to tell me what is important to check before I buy a new car. Make sense? You still think I missed point? :)

But you're asking for a blog review. It really doesn't matter what the subject matter is, web design, copy writing, marketing and your presentation is what you need help with. People that can tell you if you're on the right track are "technical" people.

But, I'll refrain and let "non tech people" counsel you.

krymson
01-13-2016, 10:37 AM
The question you SHOULD be asking for "non-tech" people is, "Is this content and tutorials easy for the non-technical person to understand.

Correct me if I'm wrong Harold, but what I believe Harold is trying to say is you're asking us to review your website for ease of use, for "non-tech" people. It takes a techie to review and give you opinions on what you should upgrade, what looks good, and how it can be better.

Back to my original statement. You should be asking is the content on my website easy to follow along with, am I explaining technical terms in a way someone can understand, is this something a 45 year old lawyer that still doesn't own a smartphone because he's old school can follow along with? These should be your questions, and you can correct me if I'm wrong if this was the type of review your looking for because if it's anything other than that, it would be a techie person that would be needed to review your site.

btbl
01-13-2016, 11:31 AM
@krymson

Exactly, I am looking for non-tech people to review if the articles are easy to understand. And do these articles help you as a business owner who present/sell yourself/your products through your website.

I am not asking if this is technically correct, if user interface is done by conventions or etc. I am focused on non-tech people and the most important is to provide VALUE to them.

Sorry guys for my bad English. :)

daveM
01-19-2016, 08:59 AM
I had a look...... It seems that you are attempting to be a guru, jack of all trades re business.......

The difficulty that I see is that you are not specializing enough to be an expert.

The articles seem to address several different topics

I think there should be an index of articles in the sidebar

The grammar is not quite right and that may turn off the professionals that you want as clients

I suggest that you define your mission more closely

HSteele
01-21-2016, 09:01 AM
This blog looks too boring and simple. That grey background... It looks like it has come from early 2000-s. Bring more brightness to your blog, cause it has a very good content!

MaryGreen
02-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Totally agree with HSteele!

Paul
02-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Well, Ok, very non tech here. But, non tech doesn’t mean totally clueless.

With that in mind I found the blog to be much too wordy and a bit patronizing. Takes along a time to get to the point, and even then I’m not sure what you are selling. Too many side bar “read more” links.

I would follow your own advice and get to the “value proposition” much quicker…like immediately. Of course I realize it’s a blog and you would expect people to read through BUT I don’t think they will.

Harold Mansfield
02-08-2016, 01:48 PM
I feel I need to point out the obvious. You are blogging in English and it is clearly not your first language. Nothing else matters until you take care of that problem. Either find someone to proof read your articles, have a native English speaker write them, or blog in the language that you speak well.

You could be the smartest guy in the world, but trying to communicate that in a language that you don't speak or write well kills any chance of anyone knowing that.

The web is unforgiving. People don't give you a chance to get it together and you don't get any points for trying hard. You cannot target a market if you are are unable to communicate with them effectively.

tmcmahon
05-11-2016, 02:00 PM
I feel I need to point out the obvious. You are blogging in English and it is clearly not your first language. Nothing else matters until you take care of that problem. Either find someone to proof read your articles, have a native English speaker write them, or blog in the language that you speak well.

Quoting for emphasis. Your goal is admirable but, to be frank, the content reads like a spun article or something from Google translate. I hope you don't take that as an attack or an offensive comment, it's not meant to be.

I agree with Harold's three options, and I really like the "blog in the language that you speak well" suggestion. Yes, the target audience on the web is probably much smaller than English, but you'll gain traction a lot faster and figure out what's working. Then you can translate posts to English.