PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Boston

functionaldesign
01-08-2016, 11:13 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for some time now and finally settled as a member.

Short briefing on myself..
I'm currently an Architecture student in Boston where I operate a small, one person design firm. My business is structured to provide low cost construction documents, Architectural renderings and related graphics to builders, home owners, and at times, I work as a sub under Architects and Engineers.
My little business has been registered as a C-Corp for a little over 2 years now, and generates just enough for me to make a comfortable living and pay for my college education as I go.

I've been harvesting so much useful information throughout the forum, hoping to stick around and contribute as much as possible.

Best,
Renan

vangogh
01-09-2016, 03:06 AM
Welcome to the forum Renan. Thanks for the introduction. Once upon I a time I was an engineer, though I only worked for others. Sounds like your business is doing pretty well and I'm sure you'll be able to contribute. Looking forward to getting to know you and thanks for joining the community.

MamaYard
01-09-2016, 07:08 AM
Do you qualify to work in the state of PA? Our training equips us to walk into a facility to administrate. This training did not prepare us since we intend to design and build from the ground up? Always needing more training. It seems that our cart has the propensity to get before the horse habitually. Year 2016 gets the horse before the cart going forward. Horses belong before carts.

functionaldesign
01-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Do you qualify to work in the state of PA? Our training equips us to walk into a facility to administrate. This training did not prepare us since we intend to design and build from the ground up? Always needing more training. It seems that our cart has the propensity to get before the horse habitually. Year 2016 gets the horse before the cart going forward. Horses belong before carts.

Hi there!

I've never done any construction work outside of Mass. Just a couple of facade renderings for a home in NH. All of my design is shaped around MA building codes in junction with the IBC.

By administrating I suppose you're referring to construction management? I've done some heavy collaboration with CM's in the past, also working as a construction adviser to the client, but this was all to enforce design, not managing the site. I try not to get into construction much, as its another can of worms. You also need to hold a construction supervisor's license to administrate site work up to 39,000 cu. ft. in Mass.

David Hunter
01-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Welcome, Renan!

I was always interested in Architecture as a kid, but never pursued it. Did you like building with Legos and K'NEX?!

functionaldesign
02-06-2016, 10:14 PM
Hi there,

I'm sorry for the late reply - but yes! I've played with legos for as long as I can remember haha

Owen
02-06-2016, 10:33 PM
Welcome to the forum. I love Boston, I live in Maine so I grew up loving Boston teams (Red Sox, Bruins, Patriots, etc.) I hope to move there or around there one day, if I don't make it to California. Great city. :)