PDA

View Full Version : Did you unwrap anything awesome for Christmas?

Harold Mansfield
12-25-2015, 02:36 PM
This year I finally got what I wanted from people who got me gifts. Amazon gift cards. It may seem impersonal but it's actually awesome because I can spend them on what I want, clear out some of my "save for later"s in my shopping cart, and I don't have to go through the awkwardness of people who aren't tech savvy, trying to buy me tech related stuff that they think is cool.

What about you? Anything good under the tree? Or Festivus pole, or whatever you celebrate this time of year.
Or maybe you don't celebrate anything and just took advantage of some of the great sales.

Fulcrum
12-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Didn't unwrap it, but Powermax30 AIR handheld plasma cutter - product features | Hypertherm (http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Products/Handheld_cutting/Systems/powermax30AIR.jsp) found its way into my shop.

Freelancier
12-25-2015, 07:27 PM
We just finished a week of awesome skiing in Colorado (20 inches of new snow since we got here). I'd much rather have a fun experience than something in a box.

billbenson
12-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Ate good and didn't work. Can't beat it. I don't like the traditional meals so I went to my local butcher shop. Bought some sushi grade tuna for about $10 a pound which I had Xmas eve. Cheap and easy. Gonna have a filet minion with a baked potato and some grilled asparagus tonight. I make my steak with a spice seasoning I make, sautéd shrooms, butter and home made duck stock for a sauce for the steak. And I cook the steak rare. The duck stock is an amazing flavor for a lot of things. Even when you are sick, some Chinese noodles and some duck duck stock is amazing.

Got a headache and don't remember last night, so I must have had fun.

BTW, I've always made my own duck stock from scratch. I've done it in in 6 mo batches and stick it in the freezer. It's not a difficult process, but it takes 4 days and cleaning a lot of large pots.When I run out I'm going to try the demi glace at the link below. Shipping will probably be expensive as its shipped in dry ice over night, but it would be nice to save the 4 day cooking process and actually is less expensive in the long run.

Duck & Veal Demi-Glace, All-Natural | Shop D'Artagnan (http://www.dartagnan.com/duck-and-veal-demi-glace/product/PENDG002-1.html?cgid=gourmet-pantry&dwvar_PENDG002-1_freshFrozenWeight=Pack%20of%206#start=6)

David Hunter
12-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Gift cards to my favorite sushi restaurant!

And... probably my absolute favorite, a Bible Dictionary (even comes with a pronunciation key!!! haha)!

Brian Altenhofel
12-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Cash to buy myself another gun, so I guess a new AKM though it technically wasn't "under the tree". Pooled what was left with the other cash I received to purchase a new safe.

Supposedly I'm hard to buy for, so I usually get quite a bit of cash, gift cards, and occasionally ammunition. I got a box of ammo one year in a caliber that I had no matching firearms, so my wife said I needed to go buy a gun to match the ammo.

A couple of years ago one of my vendors was giving away PS4s to random customers a few weeks before Christmas (right after the launch), so I guess I can say that I got a PS4 for Christmas that year.

KristineS
12-30-2015, 12:43 PM
I got Amazon gift cards or cash, for Christmas, and love it. I've pleaded with my family for years not to buy me things, as we don't share the same tastes when it comes to clothes or hobbies. I'm with Harold on this, gift cards or cash allow me to buy things I want or have been waitlisting. It's been great.

M.Ehrmantraut
12-30-2015, 01:00 PM
I got Amazon gift cards or cash, for Christmas, and love it. I've pleaded with my family for years not to buy me things, as we don't share the same tastes when it comes to clothes or hobbies. I'm with Harold on this, gift cards or cash allow me to buy things I want or have been waitlisting. It's been great.

It is good to see others that feel this way as this was the first Christmas in a long time I've gotten gifts I can make use of - they were all gift cards! Not to sound like a Scrooge or ungrateful as I'm not in any way, it is just that in years past it seems my family always gives me clothes that are too small and I'd never wear or gifts I have no use or interest in - I love the thought behind it but would rather them not even waste their money and just give me a hand-written card or something. Most importantly, this was the first Christmas in years I've got to spend some quality time with my family which was worth more than any gift.

KristineS
01-04-2016, 01:37 PM
It is good to see others that feel this way as this was the first Christmas in a long time I've gotten gifts I can make use of - they were all gift cards! Not to sound like a Scrooge or ungrateful as I'm not in any way, it is just that in years past it seems my family always gives me clothes that are too small and I'd never wear or gifts I have no use or interest in - I love the thought behind it but would rather them not even waste their money and just give me a hand-written card or something.

So with you on this. I hate to see people waste their money on gifts I won't use and which will most likely either be regifted or donated to the local Goodwill. My family always tell me "well, we want you to have something to open", and I tell them to just put the gift card in an envelope and I'll open that. After years of pretending to be thrilled about gifts I didn't want and won't use, it was a relief to get things I really would enjoy.

billbenson
01-04-2016, 03:22 PM
A friend with 5 brothers has a pact. No Christmas or birthday gifts. I send my mother flowers. What a waste. 6 days later and $50 in flowers are dead. But she appreciates them.