PDA

View Full Version : DoFollow

phanio
06-28-2009, 07:48 AM
I use Blogger for my blog. Does anyone know how to set this up as a do follow (or not a no follow) blog?

vangogh
06-28-2009, 11:38 AM
I found a post showing how to remove the nofollow on Blogger (http://www.solidblogger.com/blogger-blog-comment-section-dofollow-remove-nofollow/).

Before you do is there a reason why you want to? It will probably mean you'll be fighting more spam and I doubt you're going to see much in the way of benefits.

Also why Blogger? A better change would be moving from Blogger to your own self hosted WordPress.

phanio
07-02-2009, 10:13 PM
When I started - blogger was easy. I downloaded a template that I like and the rest is history. You say self hosted WordPress - is that better? Would I have to buy a new domain? I guess I just don't understand the difference.

I was hoping that as a nofollow - I would generate a bit more traffic.

phanio
07-02-2009, 10:16 PM
I found a post showing how to remove the nofollow on Blogger (http://www.solidblogger.com/blogger-blog-comment-section-dofollow-remove-nofollow/).

Thanks for the info

vangogh
07-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Blogger is definitely easy to use. That's why so many people continue to use it. The issue is you don't have as much control over your blog as you might want one day. If you're just blogging for yourself and have no business motivation then Blogger might be perfect. If you do have any kind of business aspirations then you want that extra control.

If you're using a domain you registered for your blog instead of blogspot.com/something then you own the domain and you wouldn't need to buy another. If you are using the blogspot.com/something then you would need to purchase a domain.

WordPress actually comes in two versions. WordPress.com is similar to Blogger in that you sign up choose a theme and you have a blog for free. Most people when talking about WordPress, though mean a self hosted install of WordPress which you get from WordPress.org (http://www.wordpress.org) You'd naturally need to purchase a hosting account unless you currently have a hosting account that allows for multiple domains. Looks like your main site is hosted at GoDaddy and you should be able to host multiple domains on the same account.

The main difference will be in the control you get with the self hosted blog. Right now on Blogger you're limited to what they allow you to do. They do allow you to do a decent amount, but there are many things you can't really do when someone else controls access to the server where the files are located. What you can't do might not matter depending on the purpose of your blog, but again for a blog with any kind of business purpose it usually does.

Fortunately it's not too hard to move your blog from Blogger to WordPress. WordPress can import all your content, though some work is needed to really have it all working right. You can lose some things along the way, namely links currently pointing into your blog. There will probably be some search engine rankings loss for a time, though some of that can be minimized.

If you're interested ask Kristine about the experience. I moved a blog for her from Blogger to WordPress a few months ago. She can tell you whether or not she's happy having moved from one to the other. If you want to post a link or send it to me in a PM I can tell you more about what would be involved in moving it. My guess is it will be easier than Kristine's blog, which was fairly large by the time we moved it and needed some extra work to get it all set up.

Harold Mansfield
07-04-2009, 11:09 AM
I was hoping that as a nofollow - I would generate a bit more traffic.

From my experience, "do-follow" did not amount to more traffic, just more webmaters looking for backlinks....that is not quality traffic.

What amounts to more traffic is more incoming links from related blogs and websites, and quality content.

I guess it would depend on the subject of your blog, and your target audience...if you are targeting webmasters and bloggers then it makes a little more sense, but if not..the average reader doesn't know the difference between "do follow" or not... because they don't have an agenda.

vangogh
07-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Changing comments to dofollow seems to just pull in more spam comments. People in the seo industry were doing it in part to get more comments in general and in part to thumb their noses at Google since many believe it wrong that Google started telling people to use them.

On the other hand people used nofollow in order to horde and sculpt PageRank, though apparently Google changed the rules on how it treats nofollow about a year ago while some SEOs went on and on about its effectiveness. Made some of them look kind of silly.

phanio
07-09-2009, 05:59 AM
I am just looking to get any kind of traffic on my blog. Not that concerned about page rank or the type of traffic - more concerned about getting feed back on my posts, finding where the traffic is coming from, and just experimenting with stuff.

vangogh
07-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Removing the nofollow isn't going to do any of those things.

You can find out where traffic is coming from by adding an analytics program. Google Analytics is free and I would think you can set it up on Blogger, though I don't know that for certain.

Getting more traffic starts first with the quality of your content. You have to deliver content people want to absorb. I'll assume you're already taking care of that part. The next step is making sure people know about your content. You want to get yourself out on other sites and entice people back to your blog. Why not add a link to your blog in your signature here?

Find other blogs that have an audience similar to one that would like your blog. Start leaving helpful, interesting, entertaining, etc comments on those blogs and use the url for your blog in the appropriate field. Are there sites in your industry that allow you to submit your content? Are there other blogs in your industry where you could gust post?

Ultimately you have to create content people want to absorb and find a way to let them know that content exists.

dwiads
07-12-2009, 05:49 AM
Do follow comment only make visitor to put a comment because some visitors want to make comment just to put link.
I believe visitors have the right to have do follow link if they really put quality comment. comment can make your content unique but it also can reduce keywords weight over your page if you use SEO copy writing.