PDA

View Full Version : turning a neg. into a pos.

huggytree
06-27-2009, 08:38 PM
i know ive written this same post a few times, but i had a good one today and its a perfect example.

i installed a new Duratub (a metal laundry tub w/ faucet which also accepts the drain from a washing machine)..the new model didnt accept the same washing machine hose....they needed a new hose...i mentioned it to the homeowner, but i wasnt too clear....

my mistake: i just left the old hose hanging behind the washer with no note....the wife came home and did wash....flooded the laundry room....floor is wood laminant...luckily the basement wasnt finished in that area otherwise id have a drywall repair...

so i get a call today (Sat) explaining what happened....i told her i mentioned some of it to the husband, but it was my fault....she said 'i guess ill just do laundry next week after my husband gets the part' (he was gone for the weekend)....I appologised for everything and said Id be right over to install a new washer hose to make up for the mistake (i was worried about the floor warping...that laminant is crap)...i drove to Home Depot and then 45 minutes to her house....problem fixed..

she was sooooo happy she offered to pay for my time and the hose...i said no because I should have handled it better and I chose to fix the problem at my cost to make it up to her....i said i would rather you hand out a few of my cards instead....she said all the neighbors would have one...i gave her 10

I also talked her into 2 new toilets and will be installing them next week.

a horrible situation - potentially $1,000 flooring repair was fixed by 2 hours of my time on a Sat. and i will probably get thousands worth of future business because of it....the job was through a remodeler, so if i didnt make her happy i may have also lost him...instead i proved why im the best plumber he's worked with...the customer is happy with me, they will be happy with him.

any good stories to share?

nighthawk
06-28-2009, 05:30 AM
nice work there huggytree!

A few years ago I worked as a waiter in a hotel. I often found that if something went wrong with an order and you were able to sort it, you would always get tipped a lot more. Surely you should get tipped more for getting it right in the first place?

I guess the mistake and you then sorting it makes you stand out more and therefore you create more of an impression. In my case I got a larger tip, in your case you got future work.

orion_joel
06-29-2009, 03:24 AM
I think this is one of the big things that many businesses miss is the idea, of turning a negative into a positive. To many companies just jump on the defensive, when faced with a negative trying to just extricate themselves from responsibility, rather then taking the time to just accept responsibility and fix the issue like you have.

GBlack
06-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Interesting and a good illustration of how things really work. Often our usual best effort is rewarded by repeat business. However, people rarely applaud those best efforts. There's a certain expectation I guess on the part of the client/customer, that you are going to do a great job. However, when the train leaves the track, you get an opportunity to highlight your professionalism. It's the old story of how you handle things when expectations aren't met. Then, the customer is focused on you and paying attention. For those who offer consistent value, this is a great opportunity to shine.

KristineS
06-29-2009, 12:48 PM
I think there is also something to be said for owning up to the mistake. If you sincerely apologize and admit that you screwed up, instead of providing justifications and excuses, that seems to go a long way toward mollifying customers and giving your business a positive image. There's something about a stand up person, or a stand up company, one that accepts responsibility when it screws up, that people like.

huggytree
06-29-2009, 09:39 PM
homeowner called today and added a 3rd toilet replacement + installing a new kitchen sink/faucet.

over $2k in work since i did the project for them...this one paid off big time!

greenoak
07-01-2009, 09:33 AM
thats great...and shows a good attitude..we dont want to be taken advantage of but leaning this way in a slightly grey situation worked out great.
..you were big and didnt get defensive and insist on proving her wrong...
ann.

Romulus
07-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Thats a great story, you made out good with turning that into a huge gain on your part. Most companies will swindle their way out of it and not own up to just fixing it since it will cost you less in the long run.