PDA

View Full Version : Swelled Head Alert...

Patrysha
06-24-2009, 08:39 PM
I did a luncheon presentation yesterday in the city (Edmonton) and wow!!

It was an amazing group, an amazing lunch and I had three of the women call me brilliant. (It was about the 2% solution that I had come up with for my local printer client and about the local shopping campaign that is about to launch)

How cool is that??

Well okay maybe it's just cool to me...cuz you know living in a small town hearing city business women say things like that...is like wow...

Especially since this town seems to think that experts can only come from the city...sigh...

I will come down from my cloud eventually...but not quite yet :-)

vangogh
06-24-2009, 09:10 PM
You know when I tried to open this thread all my browser showed me was a picture of a giant head trying to squeeze through the window :)

Congrats on the high of today. Nice to be called brilliant. You can never get tired of hearing something like that no matter who's saying it. Was this the promotion you mentioned in another thread after your last one had been lifted by a competitor?

I can see the movie. Small town marketing girl getting her big chance in the big city. Will she be able to get there? What does she do when the evil big city marketer steals her idea? Will she find a new idea? Will she foil the evil big city marketer?

Patrysha
06-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Yeah, it was the idea that was stolen...but...there are things in the works that will re-appropriate that promotion back to my client.

One thing I have figured out though...is while they can steal the concept...they can't steal my style....so have at 'er competition.

Mr. Competition was in a shop today (she was one of my trade show partners, my driver for yesterday and one of the first ones to hop on my latest promotion) - he was digging for the goods on the local shopping promotion. Soooo funny. It's a long story that made me laugh out loud...

At one point he said "oh yeah, I've been thinking of doing something for local retailers too, but I think I'll focus on the local currency" -

So as I am hearing the story I am thinking - Uh yeah...that has worked so well in the past...do the research buddy...where'd you get your information about community sociology? or buying psychology? or spheres of influence?

If he has creative, innovative and effective ideas...then he can bring them out and the whole town will benefit and I will applaud him...But if he thinks he's going to get away with copying and stealing...well what goes around comes around...people won't be fooled.

vangogh
06-25-2009, 02:18 AM
And if he has to resort to copying your ideas, how creative can he be to pull it off. Sooner or later he'll have to improvise something and then it will become obvious it wasn't his idea.

Glad your taking it in good spirits and using it to motivate you to do more and better.

KristineS
06-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Wow, that sounds like a great lunch, Patrysha. It is always nice to have someone recognize your brilliance. Sounds like you did a great presentation.

As to the copycats, they will always be out there. The only thing you can do is keep being innovative first, and be secure in the knowledge that all the copycats can do is copy, they can't innovate.

dynocat
06-26-2009, 09:37 AM
What a great thread. I've really enjoyed reading about your success. Congratulations! And keep up the good work.

cbscreative
06-26-2009, 02:40 PM
I'd second what Kristine said. Copiers are incapable of innovating, so you can always stay a step ahead of them. Congrats on being recognized.

Blessed
06-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Awesome! Congratulations on having your brilliance recognized and enjoy your stay on the cloud :D

KarenB
06-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Patrysha, I would like to add my congratulations for your great presentation and the well-deserved accolades you received!

With regard to your competition, it reminds me of that old saying, "Imitation is the best form of flattery".

I believe anyone who has ever had a great idea has also had millions of copycats, but as mentioned, their imitations will never have your unique 'flavor' and consistent ability to deliver.

Karen

Patrysha
06-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I am trying to take the whole competition thing in stride. It does not bother me that I was copied - in fact I am looking forward to spreading the campaign to other businesses in town.

What bothers me is that there was no integrity involved in the lifting...

I have copied ideas dozens of times, but it's more like taking it as inspiration...take a piece here, a piece there and then rewrite and tweak to create something new...

Oh well, I am entirely too busy to worry about it.

vangogh
06-28-2009, 09:09 PM
You'll drive yourself crazy if you spend time worrying about. The sad truth is some people have no integrity. The good news is in knowing they can't ever really compete solely by copying so they inevitably fall by the wayside.

KristineS
06-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Unfortunately, creative work is always ripe for imitation and theft. I've seen it happen a million times and probably will a million more before I'm done. It is tough to watch others take your stuff and use it, but you can also be secure in the knowledge that they can only recreate what you conceived, they can't create on their own. In the long run, that will always put you further ahead.

vangogh
06-30-2009, 02:38 AM
True, but if you're creative you have the ability to come up with something new. The person who only copies has to wait for others to come up with something. While the person who copies will manage to profit short term, over the long haul the more creative person will win.

KristineS
07-01-2009, 12:49 PM
I believe that too, and it is what I tell myself when I see companies with millions of dollars in sales and probably a platoon of marketing people copying something that I came up with. I keep telling myself that I should be flattered that major companies are copying my ideas, and in a way I am. Still makes me mad as well, though.

vangogh
07-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Understandable, but I've learned you're generally best to let it go and move on. Otherwise you just drive yourself crazy. Of course there might be a time when it's worth fighting, but most of the time I find letting it go the best option.