PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way of changing text on site

nguyen_corinne
06-21-2009, 11:50 PM
I want to make a simple website, one page (text only) has to be able to be changed in a quick and easy way. Maybe something with a login name and a really simple editor. How can I do this? thanks in advance

GBlack
06-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Nguyen

go to homestaed.com...30 day free trial...very easy to use.

GBlack
06-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Nguyen,

sorry...typo...s/b Homestead | Build, Make & Create Your Own Website – FREE! Website Hosting & Website Building Software (http://www.homestead.com)

billbenson
06-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Personally, I wouldn't recommend Homestead or any other free service. They have control of your website, very limited functionality, if you grow, you generally can't add things that require databases and if you can, you usually can't easily move any data to another site.

I'm not sure what your knowledge base is, but get a host with Fantastico and WordPress (or some other CMS). One click and you have. Once it is installed find a free template you like and write your page.

To write a page or change one is easy. You just fill out a form. Pretty much like using word. Easy. There are some wordpress experts here that can answer any of your questions.

You didn't say what you are doing or why you want to change it. It's probably not a good idea to keep changing your entire home page from a Search Engine standpoint. You didn't say what you were doing, so that is just a guess. It's usually good to change text in parts of the page, but keep much of the page static. Again, that depends on what you are doing.

If you know what your changed pages are going to be in advance, you can schedule the changes ahead of time. For example, if you have a recipe of the day, you can add 365 recepe's once a year and the site will put the new one up each day. Makes life a lot easier. You can't do that with a free site.

vangogh
06-22-2009, 08:12 PM
I'd recommend WordPress too. Odds are you can find hosting with Fantastico, which will give you a one click intall for WordPress. Any linux hosting that uses cPanel as a control panel should have Fantastico installed.

Even if you have to install WordPress manually it's not difficult.

Then find a theme you like and start creating pages. You'll be able to edit pages by logging into WordPress and editing as you would with Word.

jazzdrive3
06-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Ditto for Wordpress. So easy to use and easy to expand if you eventually want to make your site more.