PDA

View Full Version : Following the crowd

Business Attorney
08-14-2008, 01:33 AM
On the other board, I used my full name (David Staub) but got a little tired of seeing it plastered in big letters, so I am making a new start here with a new user name.

If Bill Benson thinks he is old, then I must be ancient. By the time he graduated from college, I had already been practicing law for 3 years. I started out in the tax department of a large international law firm, but for most of the last 30 years I have been representing family-owned businesses and entrepreneurs on general business matters. My practice is heavily concentrated on corporate transactions such as mergers and acquisitions and raising capital in private offerings and venture capital.

As law is my vocation, computers and the Internet are my avocation (or perhaps obsession). My first computer was a Digicomp when I was about 11 years old, but programming it by rearranging little plastic tubes on little plastic protrusions didn't hold my attention too long.

My next run-in with computers was in 1971 when I was an accounting major at the University of Illinois. The required computer science course centered around writing programs (in Fortran) that we then put on punch cards and ran on a room-sized IBM main frame. My friends couldn't understand why I would stay at the computer lab once my program successfully ran, but I would rewrite my program just to see if I could get it to use less computer resources.

I bought my first desktop computer in 1982 for my office. It was a Victor 9000 that ran both PC-DOS and what I thought was a better operating system, CP/M 86. It had no internal hard drive, dual 5 1/4" floppies and 256K of RAM. A top quality computer at the time. Although we used it primarily for word processing (with WordStar 1.0), I also wrote a mailing list for my firm, first in Basic and later in Dbase III. Those were long before the days of WYSIWYG. Now I pretty much limit myself to hand coding my own webpages and eschewing web creation programs.

Needless to say, I have a number of clients who are technology-driven. It gives me a great chance to combine my outside interest with my professional role as attorney.

vangogh
08-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Welcome to the forum David. I saw you register earlier, but didn't realize it was you.

I remember Fortran, though I came in after the punch cards. I do remember sitting in a computer room with dumb terminals on a system designed to serve 14 machines while 112 were connected to it. Type a line and save, because the system was going to crash before you could type a second line.

I also remember the hour long wait in the hallway. There might have been 112 terminals, but there were still 500 people all needing those terminals to get the same homework assignment done.

I'm glad you found us and thanks for following the crowd.

cbscreative
08-14-2008, 02:02 AM
Glad you made it David, and welcome to the place where we all disappeared to. My experience with computers isn't nearly that extensive, wow.

Steve B
08-14-2008, 05:41 AM
I remember some of that stuff. I wrote my graduate thesis on a Commodore 64 with a daisy wheel printer. I was so excited about the spell check program that cost $5 and took about 30 minutes to run.

Welcome David. I look forward to seeing your posts. I know you've helped me in the past.

Blessed
08-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Welcome! I'm brand new around here never did make it to the other board... I sure could have used your advice a couple of years ago though :)

Oh well, live and learn and never ever ever agree to a partnership and always stay on the right side of the IRS! That's about all the legal advice I know... looking forward to seeing what you have to say!

KristineS
08-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Welcome David. Nice to see you here.

Evan
08-14-2008, 06:11 PM
David -- I'm so please to see you made it over here. I saw the name, and didn't notice it was you until I read one of your posts and saw the links. Then I knew!

Welcome!

Paul Elliott
08-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Welcome back, David! Great to see you!

Your history brings back old memories. I graduated from the University of
Texas Austin in 1965 as they just finished the "Computer Center"--massive machines that they seemed to program mostly with wires plugged into boards--but did a stint in medicine before getting into computers in the middle 70s. We always knew the engineers because they were always walking around campus with shoe boxes filled with the punch cards.

Ah, the good ol' days! ;)

Paul

Coach Morse
08-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi David,
Welcome to SBF!