PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever done a Design Contest?

jazzdrive3
06-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Like at DesignersContest.com?

The way it works, you write out what you want, set a prize, and designers compete for your prize. It's a good way to get dozens of concepts for pretty cheap. Especially good for those of us with zero design skills who have no idea what they want or where to begin. Good for logos, ad flyers, websites, etc

You'll have to sort through some of the crap, but there are genuinely talented designers who compete in these things. And as long as you leave regular feedback for design submissions, you're pretty much guaranteed to get something nice that you like and will resonate with your customers.

vangogh
06-21-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm not big on design contests. I think it's one of those you get what you pay for things. I admin another forum and while some of the entries in contests are very good, many aren't. And the less you're willing to pay for the winning entry the less quality you're usually getting back.

From the other side I've seen many people enter a contest only to have the contest starter take their entry, use it, and never pay.

I'm not saying contests can't work out, but I do think you get more value by hiring someone and working with them one on one.

jazzdrive3
06-21-2009, 04:58 PM
There are certainly risks with anything. But I did one for just $150 at one site and got some very good ideas. Compared to doing something on Elance, it was a much better value and I was more satisfied.

I've contracted a designer on Elance before and he gave me two concepts. They were good, and I liked the finished product. But it's nothing like get 50+ concepts and ideas.

You can still engage with the designers who enter that you like and get them to make changes. And then after the contest you have a great designer that you know you like that you can contract for further work if needed.

vangogh
06-22-2009, 11:25 AM
I think it depends on who enters the contest as for what you'll get back and I do think you can do well in a contest. You're right it's a risk as is everything else. You probably had better success too since you offered a decent prize. I've see a lot where someone is only willing to pay $10 or $25 and then doesn't get back the best designs in the world. The price you offered would get you some solid designs back.

A couple of weeks ago I came across a design site geared specifically around logos. It's called Logo Tournament (http://logotournament.com/). Thought you might find it interesting.

When done well the design contests can be pretty good. It's more the ones I see on forums offering just a few dollars that I think will more often turn out bad. From what I can tell DesignersContest.com looks like it has things set up the right way. Looks like a fairly new site as I don't see a lot of activity yet, but it does seem to be set up in a way where you can get a good design and as a designer feel secure you'll paid if your design is chosen.

I'll still recommend hiring a custom designer as your best option since I think it will ultimately lead to the best design and the best value for your money, but I can see how design contests can be an alternative way to get a decent design for a slightly lower price.