PDA

View Full Version : What's the Most Unique Marketing Method You've Used

KristineS
08-06-2008, 03:48 PM
I always like to try marketing products in services in new and unique ways. For instance, we created a booth made mostly of acrylic panels with vinyl decals for the last trade show one of our companies did. We also like to present our products and services in unique ways.

I always like to get new ideas for marketing that is (a) inexpensive and (b) unique. It would be great if those who had created some "marketing out of the box" would tell their stories and share their ideas here.

vangogh
08-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Now that I think about it I don't know if I've done anything so wonderfully creative marketing my business. My marketing tends to be all online and I've done a lot of the usual. Blogging, SEO, social media participation, forum participation. I like to think I'm creative within all of the above, but I'll have to think of any unusual ideas I've put into practice.

Paul Elliott
08-09-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure I've been that innovative, but I've copied a lot of very good marketers: :D "Send 'em 1 white sock" and "lumpy mail" come to mind.

Paul

Spider
08-13-2008, 11:37 PM
In my wife's pet grooming and boarding business, we use large soft plastic key tags (advertising specialties) imprinted with our business name and our telephone number. The tags are large and bright yellow, and we use them as dog tags.

Customers are told that, while they are away, if the dog gets out (although we haven't had an escape in 20 years!), the regular dog tag with owner's phone number is useless (because the owner is away from home.) And even when the owner is home and *they* lose the dog, their phone number is still uselss because they will be out trying to find the dog. In either case, they need to keep our number on the dog at all times.

Also, these tags are large and bright and we tell the owner that people may not stop to pick up a stray dog without a tag but will stop for a dog wth a tag - and our tag is easy to see.

We give these keytag/dogtags away free and leave them on the dog's collar when it goes home. At the dog park or on walks, other owners see the tags, enquire and my wife gets a constant stream of new business, both for grooming and for boarding.

vangogh
08-14-2008, 12:34 AM
What a great idea. it's easy to see why it works. You give something away that is useful for dog owners to ensure they use it and while it helps them it also helps promote you at the same time.

Shows how creativity is an important marketing skill.

Paul Elliott
08-14-2008, 06:24 AM
In my wife's pet grooming and boarding business, we use large soft plastic key tags (advertising specialties) imprinted with our business name and our telephone number. The tags are large and bright yellow, and we use them as dog tags.
. . . . .
We give these keytag/dogtags away free and leave them on the dog's collar when it goes home. At the dog park or on walks, other owners see the tags, enquire and my wife gets a constant stream of new business, both for grooming and for boarding.

Frederick, this is a great example of functional visibility branding!

Keep it up!

Paul

orion_joel
08-22-2008, 02:06 AM
This is one thing i have always wanted to find something that i could do in my business to really catch the eye of potential customers. Something that they notice and dont quickly forget. For some industries it is fairly easy to think of things, while other get overdone with many ideas and it is hard to stand out from the rest of the crowd.

vangogh
08-22-2008, 02:23 AM
I think there's always a way to stand out. It only seems easy and obvious in hindsight. It's all about being creative and finding something you can do that will strike a chord with your market.

Spider
08-22-2008, 08:32 AM
There are so many advertising specialties (printed keytags are the tip of a huge iceberg) that any business can stand out with a unique gift. I used to sell this stuff and, believe me, the list of ad.specialty products is endless. And it always amazes me how grateful customers can be to be given a $2 pen with your company name on it.

For computer-oriented companies, mousepads with your name on them are good to give away. Design companies can create their own special design and have it, plus company name, printed on coffee mugs in all shapes and sizes. If you create logos for people, do the same with your special logo.

Certainly many of these things cost less than a dollar but you don't have to go over two or three dollars to get some quality items. And by all means use them in imaginative ways - as I used keytags for dog tags.

Business Attorney
08-22-2008, 11:17 AM
That's a great idea, Frederick. I don't do any really unusual marketing but I do one thing more or less along the lines of Paul's "lumpy mail."

At the end of the year, it seems like every law firm in Chicago is sending holiday cards. While I do send some cards, I send a week-at-a-glance pocket calendar with a mail-merge generated letter with a short holiday greeting to some of the people on my list .

Personally, I use Outlook and my PDA rather than a calendar. I suspect that many of the people that get my calendar never use it, but it costs about the same as a card (except for the extra postage) and my hope is that on a day when someone opens 10 cards and my calendar and letter, they'll remember mine.

Spider
08-22-2008, 11:32 AM
To avoid getting lost in the Christmas frenzy, send a New Year card, instead. Yours will be the last card they receive and therefore more likely to be remembered. Plus, yours is likely to be the only New Years card they receive. And they certainly won't notice that you didn't send them a Christmas card. And, you get away from the Christmas, Hanukka, Kwanza, etc. minefield!

And - surprise, surprise - New Years cards cost exactly the same as Christmas cards! Just make sure you get the cards printed with your business name, even if you choose to sign them personally.

Paul Elliott
08-22-2008, 07:53 PM
That's a great idea, Frederick. I don't do any really unusual marketing but I do one thing more or less along the lines of Paul's "lumpy mail."

Few people will discard any mailed product that is "lumpy." Once they get inside you want them to have something they will truly use AND an offer in addition to the "lump."

Personally, I use Outlook and my PDA rather than a calendar. I suspect that many of the people that get my calendar never use it, but it costs about the same as a card (except for the extra postage) and my hope is that on a day when someone opens 10 cards and my calendar and letter, they'll remember mine.

David, make your offer something that will make the reader stop and think. (More in a case study I'll post later! It produced an AVALANCHE of business for a tax attorney!)

At the end of the year, it seems like every law firm in Chicago is sending holiday cards. While I do send some cards, I send a week-at-a-glance pocket calendar with a mail-merge generated letter with a short holiday greeting to some of the people on my list .

In Dallas, several people sent special appreciations for business referral to me at Thanksgiving. These avoided the crush of "recognitions" during the December Holidays and were appropriate for anyone in America regardless of religious affiliation or the lack of it. Many years later I can remember the Thanksgiving gifts and the senders vs. the ones in December.

Yes, a New Year card would do the same thing and would be even more unique. By all means insert some type of compelling offer. If you don't it's nothing more than image advertising.

Paul

Paul Elliott
08-22-2008, 07:56 PM
This is one thing i have always wanted to find something that i could do in my business to really catch the eye of potential customers. Something that they notice and dont quickly forget. For some industries it is fairly easy to think of things, while other get overdone with many ideas and it is hard to stand out from the rest of the crowd.

Joel, what single thing do you wish to become or promote?

You may want to become the Kim Komando, www.KimKomando.com (http://www.KimKomando.com) of Australia.

Paul

Blessed
08-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I take my baby with me on quick sales calls - she's good, cute and everyone remembers us!

KristineS
08-29-2008, 10:18 AM
I take my baby with me on quick sales calls - she's good, cute and everyone remembers us!

Do you think that will work when she's verbal?

I have to agree, she is awfully cute.

Paul Elliott
08-29-2008, 01:54 PM

Jenn, I'd love it! You girls would have me hook, line, and checkbook! Does it have the same beneficlal effect on other customers, or are some put off by it?

Paul

ErinWrites
08-31-2008, 02:37 PM
I had black, satin-finish matchbooks embossed with my URL. Then, I take them with me to any small-business mixers or business functions at restaurants/bars.

I leave a few on all the cocktail tables (especially outdoors, where the smokers go). I've noticed most people will pick up, keep and continue to use matches than other promo items.

This tact has worked out for me, and you're all welcome to copy. I think matches are a better remembrance to hand out at those mixers than a business card (which are a dime a dozen, there).

:-) - Erin

vangogh
09-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Good idea with the matchbooks. Eventually the matches run out, but at least it gets people to notice them and take a look and they should get to see your name a number of times. I would think if you continue to do the same thing at each function your brand starts to stick in their minds.

yankeerudy
09-05-2008, 04:23 PM
*Warning: Self-Promotion Zone ahead*

We're resellers for the inventor of eGrips, a non-slip sticker that many companies have used to brand cell phones and/or advertise their business. It is pretty innovative and useful to whoever gets it. (I still have my Yankees eGrip on my phone after two years.) egrips Ad Specialty Items for Trade Shows and Corporate Branding (http://www.adspecialtyitem.com)

Spider
09-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Matches are fine if you don't rely on the smoking crowd. So many people have given up smoking now that the target for your ad is much diminished. What's worse, these new non-smokers don't even frequent smoking places like non-smokers of old, on two counts - secondhand smoke and fewer places that allow smoking. Plus many places where smokers go have become 'no smoking areas' so smokers have to go outside to indulge.

Current users of book matches might be limited to barbecue cooks and boy scouts!

vangogh
09-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Erin is placing the matchbooks in the exact areas where smokers smoke so I'd think they're getting used. She also mentioned they've worked to bring business.

They obviously aren't going to work with people who have little use for matches, but I'm guessing Erin has other promotional materials in addition to the matchbooks.

I remember my parents used to collect matchbooks as keepsakes, though neither ever smoked. I wonder if people still do that.

Steve B
09-06-2008, 06:23 AM
My wife does. She never smoked either.

However, even when targeting just smokers - it seems like they almost always use lighters.

Leatherneck
09-06-2008, 07:12 AM
I had black, satin-finish matchbooks embossed with my URL. Then, I take them with me to any small-business mixers or business functions at restaurants/bars.

I leave a few on all the cocktail tables (especially outdoors, where the smokers go). I've noticed most people will pick up, keep and continue to use matches than other promo items.

This tact has worked out for me, and you're all welcome to copy. I think matches are a better remembrance to hand out at those mixers than a business card (which are a dime a dozen, there).

:-) - Erin

I think that is a great idea Erin. If it is working for you I would keep doing it. There are millions of people that still smoke even with all the warnings and beiing less acceptable in public places. It seems like the younger crowd still find it fasionable to smoke. I don't know why, but they do. :confused:

vangogh
09-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Steve a lot of people still use matches, especially when they're right there in front of you.

Just to add a new idea. I spent this morning with my real estate agent. She always has great promotional items. Today she handed me some lip balm that has her name and logo on it. It's something I'll use so it won't get thrown out for awhile. It's also something that might get shared so other people will see it too. And it's not something you usually see so it's memorable.

Blessed
09-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Jenn, I'd love it! You girls would have me hook, line, and checkbook! Does it have the same beneficlal effect on other customers, or are some put off by it?

Paul

Out of the 100+ sales calls I made last month with the baby along I only had 1 person who seemed "put off" by it and he was the guy that told me that advertising didn't work for him.

He owns what seems to be a successful car wash - there are usually plenty of people there washing their cars - but I can't remember one ad I've ever seen for his car wash. He is just in a prime location.

Everyone else asks about her when I follow up by phone and enjoys playing with her for a few minutes when we are there or they basically ignore her.

My target market for the magazine I sell advertising in is local small business (we also reach the non-local, franchised places but most of those calls are handled by phone and if in person I leave the baby with a sitter) so it almost helps my selling point - I'm a mom, I work from home, I own a small business and I'm providing a service to other small businesses in my town. It resonates with people.

Oh and Kristine - I have a feeling I'll be able to take her with me less and less as she gets more verbal :) kids have a way of repeating things you didn't know they heard...

KristineS
09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Oh and Kristine - I have a feeling I'll be able to take her with me less and less as she gets more verbal :) kids have a way of repeating things you didn't know they heard...

I'm guessing you're probably right about that. Plus kids tend to want attention, and get more insistent about it as they get more verbal.

Paul Elliott
09-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Out of the 100+ sales calls I made last month with the baby along I only had 1 person who seemed "put off" by it and he was the guy that told me that advertising didn't work for him.

He probably did a small display ad in the newspaper one day.

He owns what seems to be a successful car wash - there are usually plenty of people there washing their cars - but I can't remember one ad I've ever seen for his car wash. He is just in a prime location.

You must not have checked your newspaper that day!

With a little marketing, he could probably double his business, but he'd have to have a plan and follow it as opposed to 1 or 2 ads in the newspaper.

Often when people are meeting their expenses and have what they consider a comfortable life, they are amazingly resistant to seeing what is actually possible with their businesses.

It seems to be either timidity or laziness. I'm not sure the rest of us can tell which from the outside. :confused:

Everyone else asks about her when I follow up by phone and enjoys playing with her for a few minutes when we are there or they basically ignore her.

Good "branding" for those customers. ;)

Paul

painperdu
06-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Matches - Put a bowl of your match books at store counters where cigarettes are sold. Maybe offer the owner the equivalent of what a book of matches cost to induce him to display your free matches.

Christmas is actually the most stressful time of the year and perhaps the worst time of the year to try marketing to someone. New Years, on the other hand, is full of hope and optimistic enthusiasm and may catch a marketing recipient at his most positive time of the year. Thanksgiving sounds like a good time to reach out to clients as it's very appropriate.

Patrysha
06-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I don't think you'd have to worry about the cost of matches. While they do sell them in boxes like at the Walmart or Grocery Store, at places that sell ciggys you get them free if you ask for them. So I think offering a bowl would be okay. Though laws being what they are now, they might not be able to allow that. As of January 1st all cigs are covered up and are not to be one display in any way shape or form in stores other than signage to indicate they have them and the price.

Spider
06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
...Often when people are meeting their expenses and have what they consider a comfortable life, they are amazingly resistant to seeing what is actually possible with their businesses.
It seems to be either timidity or laziness. I'm not sure the rest of us can tell which from the outside. :confused:... Why the confusion? Why can't people choose to live a comfortable life without being tarred as timid or lazy?

I am all for goals and being driven by a sense of achievement, if that is what one chooses. But that is not the way to mastery. Goals and achievement is working towards joy in the future: mastery is joy now. Living a comfortable life is probably a major goal for the majority of mankind - why must one be driven to go beyond that, just because to do otherwise is "timid or lazy." Having achieved a comfortable life, I applaud anyone who says, "That's it! I have fought the rat race and I have won. Here I am living my comfortable life. How happy can one person be?!"

Ad-Vice_Man
06-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Why the confusion? Why can't people choose to live a comfortable life without being tarred as timid or lazy?

I am all for goals and being driven by a sense of achievement, if that is what one chooses. But that is not the way to mastery. Goals and achievement is working towards joy in the future: mastery is joy now. Living a comfortable life is probably a major goal for the majority of mankind - why must one be driven to go beyond that, just because to do otherwise is "timid or lazy." Having achieved a comfortable life, I applaud anyone who says, "That's it! I have fought the rat race and I have won. Here I am living my comfortable life. How happy can one person be?!"

Because one day someone smarter, faster, better is going to come along and do all the things the timid/lazy/happy person should have been doing and take their business. Then the timid/lazy/happy person will turn into the frustrated/desperate/unhappy person.

Everyone complains about walmart "destroying middle america" obviously there was an unserved market in those towns, but the business community was "happy" with the way things were until walmart, bigger/fast/cheaper came around... that's why.

If you're not constantly trying to do better you have no business being in business (particularly if you have employees you're responsible for employing). Sell your business to someone who will do something with it, take the cash and be "happy" till the money runs out then go get a job.

Spider
06-13-2009, 12:19 AM
There is a world of difference between doing better on a daily basis and being driven by a desire for achievement. Constant and never-ending improvement is the road to mastery; chasing achievement for achievement's sake is the road to ruin.

If you only accomplish goals for what you get out of them, you will lose. If you accomplish goals for what you become by the effort, you win.

I do not accept that living a comfortable life equates with being timid or lazy, any more than ambition is a sign of greed.

maintenanceguy
12-30-2010, 08:48 PM
I thought we were talking about the most unique marketing method we had ever used. We seem to have gotten off track but let me see if I can revive it. I was once in a business where bar/club patrons were a good place to market my business. Before bathroom advertising boards started popping up everywhere, I had plastic business cards printed up and dropped them into urinals in the mens room. I had full attention for around thirty seconds or more and no one ever took the card with them so I got exposure (no pun intended) to everyone who stood there that evening. It may sound bad but worked beautifully.

J from Michigan
12-30-2010, 08:59 PM
What ever it takes, Maintenanceguy, what ever it takes. :D

I have a window cleaning friend who's daughter dressed up for Halloween with a squeegee and dad's uniform.

She handed out his flier and card to all the houses she Trick or Treated at.

I thought that was cute...

maintenanceguy
01-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Thats a good idea! Any kids for rent?

vangogh
01-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Your mention of bathroom advertising reminded me of something my roommate and I did in college to win some dorm elections. The night before the election we went into every bathroom (men and women) in the dorm and taped up a small sign to vote for us. It's been awhile, but if memory serves the sign was on the humorous side. In the men's bathroom we taped the sign to the wall and in the women's bathroom we taped it to the stall door. That way everyone was pretty much sure to read the sign.

I guess it worked since we both won our elections. :)

maintenanceguy
01-05-2011, 09:06 PM
My bathroom advertising seemed to work for me but I don't get to claim credit for the idea. Believe it or not it was a smart salesperson that sold me stuff like pens and cards and the like who said, " hey, we've got these new plastic business cards, why not drop em in the urinals?" I laughed at the thought but then tried it, probably after probing for clients to long at the bar one night and hey! It worked. Still funniest thing I've done for advertising though. In case anyone wondered, I used to do bail bonds that is why bars were good to find clients. LOL

vangogh
01-06-2011, 12:11 PM
You do have a captive audience in bathrooms, many of whom that are happy to have something to read.

KristineS
01-06-2011, 01:52 PM
I thought we were talking about the most unique marketing method we had ever used. We seem to have gotten off track but let me see if I can revive it. I was once in a business where bar/club patrons were a good place to market my business. Before bathroom advertising boards started popping up everywhere, I had plastic business cards printed up and dropped them into urinals in the mens room. I had full attention for around thirty seconds or more and no one ever took the card with them so I got exposure (no pun intended) to everyone who stood there that evening. It may sound bad but worked beautifully.

Points for originality on that one. I'm not surprised no one ever took the card though.

klistone63
01-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Speaking of pet shops. There is a pet shop that has a virtual prize wheel on their website. Its a pretty interesting concept for two reasons. One is that you're collecting email addresses you can use in your email marketings and two because in order to redeem a prize the player needs to come to your store. Pretty cool. The one that i saw is at Dukes Pets (http://dukespets.com/)

PromoCoach
01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
I was selling RC (remote control) airplanes and parts at a regional show. The show was close to the local college. I found 4 college girls and offered them 5% commissions to help out. I gave each of them a stack of fliers with a coupon for $5.00 off on $25.00 or more purchase. I had them write their names on the back of the fliers so I could track sales.

The only hard costs up front were the tee shirts I gave the girls and the cost of the fliers.

It worked very well. In fact the guy who bought that business uses it to this day.

jamesray50
01-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Do anyone advertise their business on their car? How effective do you think it would be for a bookkeeping company?

JerryM
01-24-2011, 08:21 PM
My father-in-law does the car advertisement for his company.
The only problem is that he has a drug screening company so he has a half full pee cup
over his logo. NO ONE wants a ride from him and a few eggs have been thrown at it.

Patrysha
01-24-2011, 08:44 PM
I don't. Mostly because we have older vehicles and I think it would be a bad move...

Steve B
01-25-2011, 08:09 AM
Jo Ellen - it probably wouldn't help very much. It would also depend on what vehicle it was on and if it looked professional or not. For instance, a magnetic sign on the side of a mini-van would probably not be a positive image for a bookkeeper.

I've got a $3,000 vinyl wrap on my work van and it gets me only 1 or 2 jobs per year.

phanio
01-25-2011, 08:29 AM
All great ideas. But, marketing is more than being unique. You also have to target your market - find out why your customers purchase, how they purchase and where they look for information - then seek ways to stand out or remain in their mind. But, just being unique is not enough. I could ask the members of the next mission to the moon to put my business name together out of moon rocks on the light side of the moon. While that is unique, none of my customers would ever see it.

KristineS
01-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Your point about targeting is right on. It's something I talk about constantly when I'm talking about finding customers and making sure your advertising has good ROI. It's the same thing when it comes to social media. It isn't about talking to a ton of people, it's about talking to the right people. You have to be selective about where your messages appear and who sees them.

dumsy22
02-01-2011, 09:57 AM
My marketing tends to be all online and I've done a lot of the usual. Blogging, SEO, social media participation, forum participation. I like to think I'm creative within all of the above, but I'll have to think of any unusual ideas I've put into practice.