PDA

View Full Version : How much is A Twitter worth?

nighthawk
06-18-2009, 07:57 AM
I just stmbled across this this article linked from another website: Paris' Emirates endorsement worth $1.5m - expert - Media & Marketing - ArabianBusiness.com (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/559140-paris-emirates-endorsement-worth-15m---expert)

Basically - Paris Hilton flew on Emirates, and happened to mention on Twitter that she really enjoyed her flight and thought they were a superb airline (the airline didnt hire or pay her to endorse the product. Its estimated that such an endorsement would be worth $1.5m, possibly rising to $3m if there was any "fallout-PR" (i.e. people re-posting the story to forums like this one... )

Unfortunately none of us will ever likely have our businesses tweeted by a celebrity, but every tweet probably still has a value.

Any thoughts as to how much a tweet could be worth to your business?

vangogh
06-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Amazing what one tweet by the right person can do.

I doubt I'll be making connections with Paris Hilton or other celebs on Twitter, but I do think every tweet has some value. On a limited scale a few people tweeted about a recent blog post and I picked up some new subscribers.

How much could a single tweet be worth to my or anyone's business? Depends on who's doing the tweeting. But that's part of why you might be there. It's another channel where you can get to know some of the influencers in your industry or in general.

The article does show how Twitter can be a good delivery mechanism for the right message. The only reason Paris's tweet was worth so much is because people are engaging with Twitter and paying attention to what's said there.

KristineS
06-18-2009, 12:34 PM
I think Twitter can be a very useful mechanism for getting your message out there and for interacting with your customer base, and most Tweets have value. The more buzz that is generated by other people talking about your company or business, the more people hear about your business and the wider your reach becomes. So that's good.

At the same time, you want to have the right people Tweeting about your business. Personally, I think Paris Hilton is a complete waste of space and I haven't the least interest in what she thinks or likes or dislikes. So, for me, her recommendation really means nothing, or might even make me think negatively about whatever she mentions. Given that, companies need to be discriminating when they try to get people to talk about them. Not every Tweet is a good tweet.

KarenB
06-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Kristine,

I loved what you said about, "Not every tweet is a good tweet." Kudos to you for pointing that out.

Just because a Paris Hilton or a Jon Bon Jovi recommends a certain service doesn't mean that the same service is available to the rest of us unless we have unlimited funds to throw away.

Chances are that Paris herself did not pen that tweet. It was likely done by one of her PR staff. She is a 'brand' that needs to be maintained in order to stay current and fresh.

At the same time, a lot of our businesses could use a similar image 'refresher' from time to time.

You just never know where the next opportunity may come from.

Karen

vangogh
06-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Sounds like the Paris tweet was just an offhand comment she made and wasn't intended for promotion. I'm not sure if it was a PR thing. I think she's one of the celebs who does tweet for herself.

I found the tweets in question and it's just her putting up a few pics from inside the airplane with a word or two.

The tweets are This airline is amazing - so comfy - huge - my bed. Each is accompanied by a picture. Looking at the pictures you can see why it benefited the airlines. Anyone would want to be on that plane. Paris Hilton was just the distribution channel since so many people are following her who then retweeted and retweeted. I'd imagine within an hour or two those pictures were seen by hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people.

If you want to see them here's Paris Hilton's twitter profile (http://twitter.com/babygirlparis). Click the more button at the bottom two or three times. The posts in question are from June 15th.

bizcard
06-22-2009, 02:01 PM
There could be a downside in all of this, what if a celebrity or someone famous would provide a negative feedback about your business, don't you think it will have an impact?

vangogh
06-22-2009, 02:28 PM
It would probably have a similar impact to positive feedback. I'd think many people would check you out and then depending on whether or not they liked or disliked the celeb in question they would either like or dislike you based solely on the celeb's comments.