PDA

View Full Version : More people shopped online than in stores on Black Friday

Harold Mansfield
11-30-2015, 02:53 PM
I don't get the appeal of the Black Friday sales anymore, but then again I rarely buy most things in an actual store anymore. Whatever deals a brick and mortar is advertising, you can find the same or better online and have it delivered. There's also deals all year long, but especially before and after CES ( for electronics).

This year, for the first time, more people shopped online on Black Friday than in stores.

More than 103 million people shopped online over the four-day weekend, which started Thursday on Thanksgiving and continued with Black Friday, according to an annual survey commissioned by the National Retail Federation. That compares with fewer than 102 million who ventured into traditional stores, the trade group said.
adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/clicks-defeat-bricks-black-holiday-weekend/301518

I'd say this trend will probably continue for quite some time.
What do you think?

Freelancier
11-30-2015, 03:16 PM
Early Black Friday Sales Numbers Are Bunk - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/11/early-black-friday-sales-numbers-are-bunk/417828/)

Not a fan of NRF numbers either, considering the way they're collected.

Mrs. Freelancier went on a 5-hour early-morning spree and came back having spent maybe $100 and said the deals weren't that good this year. We're watching online and buying what we can that way.

Bobjob
12-01-2015, 04:51 PM
I agree to the buying online trend continuing. The writing is on the wall and retailers are choosing to ignore it. They are shooting themselves in the foot these days asking you to get their card and asking you for any personal information they think they can get out of you. They make the "happy" purchasing moment annoying and dreadful. People may say Walmart is an evil empire but at least they just take your money.

Harold Mansfield
12-01-2015, 05:50 PM
...People may say Walmart is an evil empire but at least they just take your money.

The late, great comedian John Pinette has a bit about that. "Do you have our card? Are you in our club?". "No, but I have this money. I could give it to you, and you can give me my shower gel."

Here's a link to him on The View. To me one of the funniest 5 minutes on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En6ALRfctVM

David Hunter
12-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Agreed!!!!

Way too many places online these days you can get much better deals. And, a lot of the time, you don't have to pay tax! Though, stupid Amazon put in a facility in Ohio so now I have to pay tax. Booo!

Anoura929
12-12-2015, 04:45 AM
I didn't think it would be nearly so many. However, alot of online businesses offered tremendous discounts as early as Thanksgiving day which is relatively new. They didn't do that even a few years ago. I guess no one had to wait till cyber monday.