PDA

View Full Version : new flier idea

huggytree
06-16-2009, 06:14 PM
I am working on my Fall flier...thinking of new idea's/theme's

I feel most large builders only want the cheapest price and dont care about quality at all....make it last a year...

some builders are middle/high end and still use the lowest priced plumber. ive heard complaints from the homeowners about how things fall apart after 2 years....i dont think some of these builders realize what the lowest price means to their reputation.

i am considering a flier which educates them a bit...explaining the differences between my company and the 'price' only shops...

is this a good idea or is it going to make people figure im too expensive?

ive lost bids lately on some high end remodelers...i know my prices are right on...one was even underbid because i was slow...the builders never answer their phone after the bid, so i dont know the reason.

vangogh
06-17-2009, 01:46 AM
It depends on who you see your market as. I've always gotten the impression you consider yourself high end in which case why would you worry if you lost customers who shop only on price. Usually when you have a bad experience with a customer it's been the ones who were looking to save a few bucks on an inferior product.

Only you can decide who you market is though. If you want to appeal to a lower end market then you probably don't want to send them this flier.

Try to write the flier in a way that emphasizes why hiring quality will ultimately help the builders. Make them see it as in their best interest. Don't try to have it come across as asking them to choose quality just so they can hire you. Get them to see how quality will benefit them.

Remipub
06-17-2009, 03:45 AM
The goal being to get yourself in the door with some of these builders, you may want to consider putting some kind of exceptional offer - limited time kind of thing. The key there is you need it to be sensational. You are not trying to make money from that offer so much as introduce the builders to your level of quality and value.

Some may use your services again, some may not - but if only one new long term customer results, it should be worth the investment of time and money.

huggytree
06-17-2009, 07:26 AM
any special offer i would give wouldnt help me unless i was willing to work for under cost.

all the large builders already have guys who skimp & cheat and work for nothing....especially right now....i get out bid by $500+ under my costs on these houses. I would have to skimp on parts to get close....also they have apprentices/shop boys to do the grunt work...i dont...some houses are plumbed by 3rd year apprentices to make money....the new home market was always crazy cheap...now its worse...

I dont really mind the idea of giving a 10-15% discount for the first project, but it wouldnt be enough for most of them. i dont exactly love the idea either though....i like to make a profit...

Spider
06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
I don't quite see the point in advertising to contractors who, in your own words, "only want the cheapest price and don't care about quality" when you are adamant in not working for cheap prices and low quality. It seems to me you are advertising to the wrong market.

I suggest sending these fliers only to contractors who want the level of quality you provide and are prepared to pay for the prices you insist on.

If I was a Rolls Royce dealer, I certainly wouldn't be sending my product brochures to people living in low-income housing and living on welfare!

KristineS
06-17-2009, 01:40 PM
I think the flyer might be a good idea, but I agree with Frederick, I'm not sure I'd send it to everyone. Target some contractors who seem to care about the quality of their work and send it to them.

Also, make sure the tone of the flyer is right. Stress the benefits of quality to the contractor, and why working with a quality plumber will benefit them and their reputation. Be careful that you don't come off as talking badly about those who shop primarily on price. You have to acknowledge that price is one thing to consider, but it's not the only thing, and may not be the most important thing.

huggytree
06-17-2009, 05:55 PM
i dont normally send the fliers to the large guys anymore...its just a waste of time

but there alot of small guys who still shop primarily on price....i think these guys can be swayed....some dont realize they install junk plumbing....i just want to educate them...

the 2 things i never advertise in my fliers:

im a 1 man shop
im a mid priced plumber

all my customers know and want those 2 things....im just too scared to say outright im small & expensive.....i dont know if i should...would the existing customers have switched if i originally said that im my old fliers? maybe, maybe not

vangogh
06-17-2009, 06:37 PM
If that's what your customers want why wouldn't you advertise it? Hard to know how people will respond to actually saying it in an ad, but it seems like you're not saying it out of fear of losing the people who shop only on price. Seems though that those are the people you generally have issues with.

It's almost as though you're afraid of turning away the customers you don't want in the first place.

The only reason I could see for not mentioning it is if you think it could possibly turn away the customers you do want.

Spider
06-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Why not do a study of the advertising approaches for other up-market products and services - How are Amani suits advertised? What is the approach adopted by Tiffanys. How does a Rolls Royce auto brochure differ from a Toyota brochure?

There's a lot to be learned from other industries and products. Even within the construction industry - how does Toll Brothers advertise compared to D.R.Horton or Beazer?

KarenB
06-18-2009, 02:46 PM
I am working on my Fall flier...thinking of new idea's/theme's

I feel most large builders only want the cheapest price and dont care about quality at all....make it last a year...

some builders are middle/high end and still use the lowest priced plumber. ive heard complaints from the homeowners about how things fall apart after 2 years....i dont think some of these builders realize what the lowest price means to their reputation.

i am considering a flier which educates them a bit...explaining the differences between my company and the 'price' only shops...

is this a good idea or is it going to make people figure im too expensive?

ive lost bids lately on some high end remodelers...i know my prices are right on...one was even underbid because i was slow...the builders never answer their phone after the bid, so i dont know the reason.

I agree with a lot of what has been said.

I also think that the very thing you are afraid of could become an asset. Think about it. You are a craftsman who makes sure the job is done right the first time.

That could even be an angle in your advertising. You do not outsource all jobs to apprentices because you want to make sure the job is done right the first time.

Why don't you advertise that? You don't have to appear bigger than you are. You just need to be really good at what you do.

I agree totally with producing a spec sheet, info sheet, or whatever you want to call it that outlines some of the differences between a good job and a bad job.

Giving away this free information (or trade secrets, if you will) does not minimize your own position in the marketplace. In fact, it only reinforces it.

Show them what you know. Make a valid argument as to why some others don't compare to your services.

I guarantee that as a homeowner, I would listen to you and request that the builder/remodeler subcontract you to get the job done right the first time.

There is no risk in sharing what you know. Do you really think that a novice could read your instructions and do the job right? Probably not.

Karen

KristineS
06-18-2009, 03:21 PM
There is no risk in sharing what you know.

Karen

This is so true and such good advice. Educating people, without making them feel stupid, is a great way to get your point across. Teach them why being cheap isn't always the best answer and then do good work and you'll have a customer for life.

Paul Elliott
06-20-2009, 02:00 PM
HT, in your area there are bound to be smaller builders that only build luxury homes. THEY have reputations to build AND nurture over the years. They would be the ones to approach with your quality showing how it helps their reputation.

I also think that the very thing you are afraid of could become an asset. Think about it. You are a craftsman who makes sure the job is done right the first time.

That could even be an angle in your advertising. You do not outsource all jobs to apprentices because you want to make sure the job is done right the first time.

Why don't you advertise that? You don't have to appear bigger than you are. You just need to be really good at what you do.

I agree totally with producing a spec sheet, info sheet, or whatever you want to call it that outlines some of the differences between a good job and a bad job.

Giving away this free information (or trade secrets, if you will) does not minimize your own position in the marketplace. In fact, it only reinforces it.

Show them what you know. Make a valid argument as to why some others don't compare to your services.

Karen's idea is an excellent approach.

Take any perceived weakness or deficiency and turn it into an advantage targeted to the right client market.

Paul

Paul Elliott
06-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Educating people, without making them feel stupid, is a great way to get your point across. Teach them why being cheap isn't always the best answer and then do good work and you'll have a customer for life.

This is precisely what Jay Abraham says in one of his marketing principles.

"You must educate your customer out of your marketing dilemma."

Your dilemma? Not enough of the right kind of business. Therefore, you define your true customer--not the ones who have no appreciation for what you do even if they clearly understood it.

I suspect you have not clearly defined your best customer (builder type) who values what you have to offer and insist on. Once you do, you will have a much clearer idea of their true needs. THOSE are what you solve for them in the plumbing arena.

Then, you educate them about the benefits to them and their reputation of your premium service. You tell them how paying a little more for better plumbing products produces not only excellent customer satisfaction, but fewer maintenance problems for the contractor and continued customer satisfaction over the life of their new homes.

Paul

GBlack
06-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Hi,

What about this...create a free report that explains all the pitfalls of cutting corners...eg...what could/probably will happen if they do it on the cheap...then..advertise the report.. the report gives you an opportunity to demonstrate the value you offer. send them to your site to get it...the ones who go instantly qualify themeselves as potential prospects...you follow up..

KarenB
06-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi,

What about this...create a free report that explains all the pitfalls of cutting corners...eg...what could/probably will happen if they do it on the cheap...then..advertise the report.. the report gives you an opportunity to demonstrate the value you offer. send them to your site to get it...the ones who go instantly qualify themeselves as potential prospects...you follow up..

Wow! Spot on, GBlack!

A special report or white paper or whatever you want to call it is something that definitely provides value, educates and establishes credibility. I agree totally with this type of strategy.

Again, giving away information is never a bad thing (unless you are with the CIA) and it truly gives you an opportunity for your potential clients and customers to get to know and trust you.

Even starting a blog might be a good thing. You could post polls and ask questions, inviting your readers to comment, starting up a more intimate and personal dialogue with them.

Everyone seems to want to do business with someone they feel they 'know', even if it's just a referral from a friend or associate.

Karen

Paul Elliott
06-23-2009, 11:06 AM

While having a site is essential and should be done, my experience with some general contractors is that they don't use the Internet for research. Therefore, ...

Be sure you publish your report/white paper on paper and mail or hand it to them. It's best to prepare it in a binder that has a red jacket--the thicker and larger the better. That provides the "Thud Factor." You want it to hit the table with a thud. :D That gives the impression that the material is more valuable to the recipient. That way it is not easily dirtied, abused, lost, or filed in a stack of other papers.

I suggest you consider a 3-ring binder 1 inch thick with a clear pocket on the outside of the front AND a pocket on the spine. That way you can put a cover sheet on the front with title, teaser, and your contact information, and add title and your name on the spine as well.

On the individual pages of your white paper place your copyright and contact information plus your USP in a footer. I have had people photocopy interior pages containing a good idea to give to someone else. Without that footer, you, the idea person, and your idea are easily separated.

A useful title is "The 10 [or any number--the more the better usually] Most Common Mistakes Contractors Make When Contracting Plumbers And How to Avoid Them!" (Of course, you are the solution to their avoidance of the problems, though you state it more indirectly and diplomatically.) In this you point, not only to the mistakes the contractors make, but to the consequences to the homeowners who are their best advertisers.

This employs the Fear-Solution Formula. You pose the hazard and consequence then provide the mind-relieving solution.

Make the point that many of the consequences may not show up during the 12-month guarantee period which technically gets them off the hook, but often occurs later which vexes the homeowners and, therefore, adversely affects the homeowners' attitudes toward the contractors. The homeowners naturally hold the contractors responsible, since they likely don't know the plumbers.

Of course, you are not interested in the contractors who are not interested in their long term images. I would suspect that that means most contractors are not your target market.

Paul

franktang00
07-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Could you get past satisfied customers to act as a referral for you? Essentially, it would be like an affiliate program. People tend to listen more to friends/colleagues than fliers.

huggytree
07-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Some builders refer me to other builders....but ive had some say they dont want to because they dont want me to be too busy and dump them or be able to show up on time for them....ive used builder testimonials in my fliers before...no special results....

Word of mouth is ALWAYS king....but putting your name in front of a potential customer over & over & over is 2nd best!