PDA

View Full Version : Siri, Cortana, Google Now, or Alexa?

Harold Mansfield
11-24-2015, 02:26 PM
Odds are by now you are using or at least have one of these voice activated virtual assistant, search thingies. If not, you probably will be by the end of the holiday season with the 4 major players going on full scale sales and marketing pushes.

Was wondering who uses which, if you like using them, and how do you feel about the future possibilities?

I have Android phones so I've been using Google now for a while. I think it's a pretty awesome tool on the phone. Google has access to pretty much all the information that you need. I even used it the other day while importing some old CD's that I'd burned years ago and forget some of the track names. I just kept asking Google "What's the name of this song?" and it was spot on every single time. And some of my music is pretty niche Dance and EDM.

I have Windows 10 computers so I have tried Cortana, but it's not really as good and it doesn't speak back most of the answers, it merely shows you on screen (as if that's really some kind of inconvenience).

Same with the XBOX. The voice and gesture controls are spotty at best and I don't really ever use my voice to control it anymore.

I also have an Amazon Echo and it is very impressive. At the moment it lacks the access to the same wealth of search information as Google, but where it really shines is in it's ability to control other devices. Something the others either don't do, or only do in their own ecosystem.
It's voice recognition is also far superior than the others, and you can speak naturally from across the room and it will hear you and do what you say.

I don't have anything Apple, but I have tried Siri on other people's phones and it is very good.

If I could combine Google's access to information, with the Echo's voice recognition and integration with other "smart" devices, it would be perfect.

Obviously I'm still waiting to see which one of these will let me use "Computer" as my trigger word so that I can realize my Star Trek dreams.

So who's using what and what do you think about them?
Or do you dislike them altogether, worry about privacy or other concerns?

vangogh
11-24-2015, 07:43 PM
The only one I've used is Siri, though I don't use it a lot. I use Siri sometimes when it's easier to speak something than to use my hands and type. I set alarms and timers and things like that. I don't usually ask Siri questions that require information. I'll sooner just type something a search engine on my computer. Siri still isn't on OS X and if I'm home I'll search through the computer. When I'm out I tend not to talk to my phone.

I do have some privacy concerns, but I think if any of these turned into a better AI I might use them more. Siri works fine in the sense that I have no problems being understood no matter what I ask. It's more that I don't find the voice interaction all that useful. I'm usually at the computer typing and to me there's not a huge advantage for me in using voice. It's possible I'm just more used to typing so I type instead of speak.

I know Google will do things like let me know it's time to leave for the airport and if my flight is on time, but I don't find that useful at all. In fact, I think I would find it annoying for any of my devices to start telling me that information. It feels somewhat intrusive to me. At the same time, I know it's the future. I'm not suggesting any of the voice interaction should go away. It's just not something I reach for all that often right now.

I also know it's more me than any of the services. I think they're all evolving and will become even more useful. The latest version of Siri now responds to your voice without having to press a button to start or with your phone plugged in so I've been trying it more often. I just don't have much to ask it so I keep asking what time it is.

I'm not sure what it is I ultimately want from voice interaction. I assume the goal is the Star Trek computer, which still seems like a long way off.

Harold Mansfield
11-24-2015, 08:46 PM
I do use Google to call people during business hours. I usually have my ear piece in, and it's cool to just say "Call ( whoever)" and it dials. But I'm also so in the habit of picking up the phone that it's not natural yet. Many times I still reach for it before remembering that I don't have to.

Honestly, most of my usage hands down is when I'm at the bar. Me and my buddies are constantly voice searching trivia, and sports related information.

And yeah, for me Star Trek is the goal and I won't be happy until I achieve it. It's really close.

Honestly, The Echo connected to the Kindle is pretty damn close to the Star Fleet computer with those reading tablets. When Echo can search and retrieve information as well as Google it'll be sweet. Or if Google came out with one of their own, which I suspect is near.

I can totally see the ability to voice search files on your network or emails, or whatever and have it sent to your tablet just like Picard does with Star Fleet messages. Or sent to his Ready Room ( or an office Conference room) :) Now if only it could make Earl Grey tea. It can however make coffee if you have the right coffee maker.

I was resistant to the whole "talking to my computer" thing, but it's a lot cooler when it answers back.

Harold Mansfield
11-25-2015, 02:00 PM
I can totally see the ability to voice search files on your network or emails, or whatever and have it sent to your tablet just like Picard does with Star Fleet messages. Or sent to his Ready Room ( or an office Conference room) :)

Just found out that you can already do this.

With Voicecast, you can ask Alexa to send additional details about news, weather, and more to your Fire tablet (running Fire OS 4.5.1 or above). You can also turn on Automatic Voicecast to send content to your Fire tablet automatically.

When Alexa sends content to your Fire tablet using Voicecast, it appears on the lock screen of the tablet. When you're doing something else on your tablet at the time that you request content (such as browsing the web or playing a game), a notification appears in the Quick Settings menu on your tablet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201601900

My $50 Kindle Fire tablet just got a lot cooler.

Owen
11-25-2015, 08:33 PM
Odds are by now you are using or at least have one of these voice activated virtual assistant, search thingies. If not, you probably will be by the end of the holiday season with the 4 major players going on full scale sales and marketing pushes.

Was wondering who uses which, if you like using them, and how do you feel about the future possibilities?

I have Android phones so I've been using Google now for a while. I think it's a pretty awesome tool on the phone. Google has access to pretty much all the information that you need. I even used it the other day while importing some old CD's that I'd burned years ago and forget some of the track names. I just kept asking Google "What's the name of this song?" and it was spot on every single time. And some of my music is pretty niche Dance and EDM.

I have Windows 10 computers so I have tried Cortana, but it's not really as good and it doesn't speak back most of the answers, it merely shows you on screen (as if that's really some kind of inconvenience).

Same with the XBOX. The voice and gesture controls are spotty at best and I don't really ever use my voice to control it anymore.

I also have an Amazon Echo and it is very impressive. At the moment it lacks the access to the same wealth of search information as Google, but where it really shines is in it's ability to control other devices. Something the others either don't do, or only do in their own ecosystem.
It's voice recognition is also far superior than the others, and you can speak naturally from across the room and it will hear you and do what you say.

I don't have anything Apple, but I have tried Siri on other people's phones and it is very good.

If I could combine Google's access to information, with the Echo's voice recognition and integration with other "smart" devices, it would be perfect.

Obviously I'm still waiting to see which one of these will let me use "Computer" as my trigger word so that I can realize my Star Trek dreams.

So who's using what and what do you think about them?
Or do you dislike them altogether, worry about privacy or other concerns?

I am an Apple fanboy but I hate Siri. I wish I could implement Google's thing into my Mac and iPhone, my parents have Android phones and I really like it more.

Harold Mansfield
11-25-2015, 09:15 PM
I am an Apple fanboy but I hate Siri. I wish I could implement Google's thing into my Mac and iPhone, my parents have Android phones and I really like it more.

The best of Google in one app. Say “Ok Google” and find everything from nearby restaurants to the calories in cheesecake. Google also shows you the info you need before you ask, like updates on your favorite teams and traffic alerts.
https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/google-search/id284815942?mt=8

Harold Mansfield
11-26-2015, 12:09 PM
I do have some privacy concerns, but I think if any of these turned into a better AI I might use them more.

The fact that Alexa the web analytics tool that gathers intelligence about usage and behavior, and "Alexa" the software that runs the Echo are both owned by Amazon does make me put on my tin foil hat a bit.