PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions On Flyer Design

unobsolete
06-14-2009, 05:23 PM
This is a postcard size flyer I'm working on. I'm still in the process of designing it. Also I'm am still working on the domain and phone numbers of my company so I will change in accordance when i finalize that info. Just looking for some more opinions from variety of different people.(Business owners) I plan plan of direct marketing this to mainly small companies/ Higher end home owners in the Washington Dc metro area. Thanks for the help in advance!!

Could you please tell me what you think of both the content and design........Thanks!

This flyer both sides are located here:

Security Cameras Flyer (http://www.flickr.com/photos/39423828@N02/3625274577)

painperdu
06-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Too many distracting images. You have an exciting message but it's getting dwarfed by the needless imagery.

Maybe just a couple images would be enough. I'd use an image of a camera and one of the monitor.

The ad copy is great. Make the "see what's happening now" the leading headline instead of the "packaged deals" headline.

huggytree
06-14-2009, 09:29 PM
that close up eyeball shot kinda freaks me out...you can see all the red blood vessels...atleast clean it up...id dump it.

alittle too busy for a post card size....remember people are only going to glance at it..not read it at first...you have to make it easy to read.

when i do fliers i use bullet points...very simple, but professional looking....

over all just a bit too busy...maybe 25-33% too much there.

i also dont like ' were are the cheapest' theme you have going on...i think being the cheapest means you dont have an original idea, so cheap is your idea....cheap is never an original idea...someone will always be cheaper...fighting to be the lowest price means you'll never be rich unless you are Walmart. which no one else is

SteveC
06-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Basically it's boring and it does nothing to engage me... if I were to get this delivered to me, it would basically go straight in to the waste paper bin... I cannot even read the text...

I would suggest that you hire a professional as they do this all of the time and can often gain you extra customers that make up for their costs.

Steve B
06-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I agree with all comments above - except I don't agree the ad copy is great. I think the ad copy needs considerable attention. In addition to the fact that it needs to be simplified, I caught a few gramatical errors and a few things that didn't flow very well to me.

I also think the price of hiring a professional will be well worth it. I'm guessing you're too close to your industry to be able to design a card that will be effective to the average person who doesn't think about this technology everyday. For instance, you're assuming everyone will know what CCTV is.

Sorry for all the negatives. I do think you have a great business idea. I personally responded to a post card like yours last year and got an alarm system installed. The cameras and DVR's don't seem to be marketed as heavily by the big names in your industry and it seems to have a left a niche for people like you to take advantage of.

vangogh
06-15-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm going to agree with everyone above. The card is too busy. You really don't need all the images. One or two would be more than enough to get the point across. There's too much to look at and it's probably I would never get to the text.

Steve is right that the copy could be improved. It's also too busy and tries to get across too much info in one card. I'd actually suggest one card with the idea of the real time viewing and another card with the idea of the visible camera reducing crime.

Your concept is good overall. I think there is a market for you. But I do think the postcard could be improved.

nighthawk
06-15-2009, 05:27 PM
theres just far too much text on there. If I receive a flyer you have about 1 second to grab my attention - a large block of text doesn't do that. You need a few words in large print to grab the attention, followed by a few sub points to make the sale. As suggested, bullet points probably work best.

Right now your text is rather hard to read, i'm not sure if its the contrast or the italics/font, but it isn't terribly clear. There are also far too many images on the page.

I guess the key is to show off the products. I would remove the closeup image of the camera which is currently behind the text, and instead leave this area grey to use for text (large print, more colourful text). I would then reduce the contrast on the remaining images so they dont stand out as much. The text should be what catches the eye more than the product.

KristineS
06-15-2009, 06:15 PM
I have to agree with everyone else. First this is way too busy. There's so much going on it is hard to focus. You also have far too much text. If this is a flyer, you only have a few seconds to hook someone's attention. Most people won't wade through tons of text. You also need to proofread. As other people have mentioned, I did see grammatical errors.

Sit down and figure out what the one most important thing you want to convey is and focus on that. Right now you're trying to do far to much, and it is overwhelming.

Remipub
06-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Not much to add that hasn't been said except: Photos should be used to enhance your piece, not become it. Using solid photos as a background image only detracts from the message and makes the overall piece harder to read.

Another big one I didn't see above - more contrast in colors. Dark print on light background works best ... again this is for the message itself. Photos are a great attention grabber, but they are not the message.

And I have to give a huge amen to the comments of it being too busy. I know keeping costs down is important, but trying to cram too much into too small a space will only make the piece mostly useless. If you feel you must include a lot of information, you really need to be looking at a full size sheet. Ideally you would have two pieces - the clean, attention grabbing postcard - not a lot of detail, but something that draws them in. Then an informational piece (larger, more descript) may be helpful once you've gotten their attention.