PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress 2.8 upgrade

rezzy
06-13-2009, 07:14 AM
With the release of Wordpress 2.8, who has taken the leap and upgraded their blog?

Ive heard mention of some issue with upgrading via twitter.

vangogh
06-13-2009, 10:30 AM
I haven't upgraded yet, but I did download 2.8. I'll install it first on my development server sometime in the next few days and let you know how it goes. I'm not anticipating any problems. What kind of issues have you heard about? Is it just some plugins not working? Or something related to the WP core?

KristineS
06-13-2009, 11:42 AM
I've seen the request to update but haven't done anything about it yet. If Vangogh is going to try it, I may wait until he does and see how it goes for him.

vangogh
06-13-2009, 01:21 PM
There are some nice features in 2.8. The widget area is supposed to be easier to work with and you can now search for themes from within the admin interface. I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't upgrade. My guess is the only issues are that some plugins might not have updated, but most of those that are still maintained should work within a few days of the new release.

vangogh
06-13-2009, 03:10 PM
I found a nice WordPress 2.8 getting started guide (http://www.tripwiremagazine.com/news/news/extensive-wordpress-2-8-getting-started-guide.html). There's lots of useful info for upgrading in general, including links to plugin compatibility charts so you can find out if your plugins will work with 2.8. There's also a look at some of the features of 2.8 if you want to see what you're getting with the upgrade.

And finally there are links to some tutorials for WP developers.

KristineS
06-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Cool, I'll have to look at that. All my blogs are asking for the upgrade, but I haven't done anything about it yet.

vangogh
06-15-2009, 07:38 PM
It shouldn't be a problem to upgrade. Worst case is a plugin or two won't work. I doubt your themes will stop working.

Of course if something does go wrong you know who you can ask for help.

KristineS
06-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Of course if something does go wrong you know who you can ask for help.

Yes, I do. :D

And I am eternally grateful that such help is available. Lord knows what I'd do if it were not.