PDA

View Full Version : Data backups to cloud

ccb
10-30-2015, 12:57 PM
We are looking for resources to backup data to the cloud so we have offsite storage as well as the local NAS storage. with our SQL accounting database, regular doc files and exchange server its quite large to do incremental and keep several copies. also considering an image of the servers for easy restore in the event of a catastrophe. does anyone have recommendations for a service that would not be to costly per GB (we may need at least a TB) and can handle incremental nightly backups as well as full server imaging. any recommendations on a backup schedule/plan would be appreciated. we have about 35 employees and three servers. thank you

Harold Mansfield
10-30-2015, 01:11 PM
For business back ups such as you're describing, have you checked with your host first to see what they offer?
If all you need is a TB, you get that for free with Microsoft Office 365 on MS servers. Are you using any MS products now? They offer cloud storage services that integrate well into thier existing stuff.

I'd also check out Amazon Web Services.

If you're DIY backing up from your work computer or network you can schedule how often right in your settings to go to the cloud storage of your choice, or your own storage.

35 employees and 3 servers. Are you sure you only need 1 TB?

ccb
10-30-2015, 01:22 PM
I suppose 1 tb is to small if we're doing server images. I've asked our IT to tell me our full storage size now. I know our accounting database is 25 gb, doc files data is about 30 gb and mail is also about 30. we wont back up workstations. They have recommended Amazon actually with software they wrote as the interface. however they want to charge 29 cents per GB. plus $49 per server. .. per month. I'm not sure if this is reasonable.

thank you

Harold Mansfield
10-30-2015, 01:40 PM
I suppose 1 tb is to small if we're doing server images. I've asked our IT to tell me our full storage size now. I know our accounting database is 25 gb, doc files data is about 30 gb and mail is also about 30. we wont back up workstations. They have recommended Amazon actually with software they wrote as the interface. however they want to charge 29 cents per GB. plus $49 per server. .. per month. I'm not sure if this is reasonable.

thank you

Can't help you there. I'm small enough that my own servers, plus all the included storage that I get from various products/services like Office, Google, Drop Box, my web host and others is enough for me to have multiple back ups all over the intrawebs.

But there are quite a few people on here that know exactly what they're talking about when it comes to this stuff. I'm sure you'll get a wealth of info.

ccb
10-30-2015, 01:43 PM
thank you. I actually just ran the numbers and with the backup schedule and retainage they have us on its over 4tb just for data. I appreciate the feedback though!