PDA

View Full Version : What Makes for a Successful Blog?

vangogh
06-11-2009, 10:33 PM
If anyone knows what makes for a successful blog it's Darren Rowse of ProBlogger fame. Darren recently published his 5,000th post on ProBlogger (yes that's five thousand) and to mark the occasion he shared 13 Things I’ve Learned about Successful Blogging (http://www.problogger.net/archives/2009/06/10/successful-blogging/)

Hard to argue with Darren when it comes to blogging, so I won't try. I'll just point to the first two things he learned over the years.

1. Anticipate Growing Trends
2. Solve Problems and Meet Needs

Two pretty good ways to come up with a topic for a blog. I like the idea of solving people's problems, but it also makes a lot of sense if you can anticipate an up and coming topic.

There's plenty more on the list. Well 11 other items.

What kind of things do you think make for a successful blog?

KristineS
06-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I like #3 Write for You and #6 Be Personal, mostly because that's pretty much my natural style. I have written blogs that really don't interest me as much, but they're harder to sustain, and I tend to gravitate toward being personal regardless of the subject.

I think #13 has a bit impact on a blog's success or failure too. Luck does play a part. If you can get the right people talking about you, your readership can grow fast. As much as I'd like to think it's all talent, I know luck does have an influence on the outcome.

BBlackwood
06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
The most important thing is the quality of your content and its relevance for the reader.

vangogh
06-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Yep. Quality trumps everything else. I do think you need more than quality content though. You still have to promote it to at least get some people in. And you have to create an expectation that your next post will also be quality and be relevant to the reader.

Harold Mansfield
06-14-2009, 05:16 PM
The one thing that I didn't see mentioned, although I am sure he has touched on it before is to blog about what you know.
Too many times I see people starting blogs and determine the niche by what they assume will be a money maker, instead of sharing knowledge on subjects that they know about, or have some passion in.

You can't realize the potential of any of the tips mentioned if you are blogging out of your comfort zone or don't know the niche.

Surely you can have websites in a variety of niches but you can't blog everyday and be successful if you are yourself looking for information to post.

I agree with the luck aspect. I have been lucky in some big links that I have acquired and have some posts that were/are topics of discussion on forums, but I would have never gotten that "luck" if I wasn't experienced and passionate in the niche, nor been able to provide any content that would be considered remotely interesting to others with the same interests.

A good way to judge is to ask yourself:

"If all my avenues of gathering information dried up, or I couldn't access them, How long could I blog about this subject using my own knowledge about the subject ?"

A day ? A week ?

vangogh
06-15-2009, 10:50 AM
blog about what you know

I'd amend that a little to include anything you're willing to learn. I don't think you have to be an expert in a subject to have a successful blog, but you do need to be willing to become an expert. There are some good blogs where the focus is on the blogger learning a subject and then passing on what he or she has learned to the readers.

Harold Mansfield
06-15-2009, 05:08 PM
No, you don't need to be an expert, but you should have enough of an interest, and some experience in it somewhere. ( I mean this mostly for 1st time bloggers).

I think my biggest conflict on this subject is "Make Money Online" blogs by authors who don't make any money online. I think that first timers have better success when they can add real knowledge of the niche, and not regurgitating info that they themselves found on another blog or resource.

Of course we all get our knowledge and info from somewhere, but there is a big difference in the quality of the content when the author has actually applied the knowledge successfully rather than just writing a book report from found sources.

vangogh
06-15-2009, 05:17 PM
"Make Money Online" blogs by authors who don't make any money online.

Kind of funny isn't it, how many blogs like this are out there.

I agree with you about being able to add real knowledge. There are too many blogs that only regurgitate what's already out there without adding anything new. You should at least be interested enough in a topic to know it well or be learning it as you blog.

Harold Mansfield
06-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Kind of funny isn't it, how many blogs like this are out there.

I am pretty positive that the reason people do this is, that they are letting adsense dictate the subject of their blog. Which is really dumb.
The reason I come to that conclusion is because it is always the same niches: Forex, Insurance, Make Money Online/From Home, Celebrity, Tech (just general Tech), Dating Tips, and Health.

2 years ago, it was Mortgage blogs all over the place, and the year before that everyone was starting personal injury and legal blogs.

I agree with staying up on trends, I'll be the first to admit that I have started blogs that I just did not have time, or lost interest in writing, but I have always kept my main one going strong...and that's the one I know the most about. Consequentially, it is my most successful blog, because I actually love doing it.

I think if all first time bloggers stayed with their knowledge or passion, they could see success.

Remember Aaron Hats ? I remember when he started his Hats/ Fashion blog from scratch, and now it's a significant part of his online marketing...because he blogged what he knew..did it well, stayed with it, and made a niche that was otherwise under developed.

KristineS
06-15-2009, 09:33 PM
I would have to agree with you guys, you have to start with something you love or at least something you are passionate about. That passion gives your blog a little extra oomph. I know there are blogs I read that are really about things that have no connection to my life and wouldn't interest me except for the fact that the writer of that particular blog is so passionate and such a good writer. The passion comes through and keeps me interested.

vangogh
06-16-2009, 12:39 AM
eborg I think some the blogs in the trendy niches are created by people who think it'll be easier and quicker to make more money. You may be right about it being led by AdSense as those are probably the top paying keywords of the moment.

The make money online and tech blogs probably arose out of a genuine interest. Let's face it early adopters of blogs are techies so it's a natural topic and they are usually trying to make money online so since they're learning it anyway they blog about it.

The others strikes me more as someone doing some quick research into markets that are supposed to be easier to make money in.

greenoak
10-02-2009, 09:03 PM
i really like #2 ...and thats what i try to do on my shoptalk blog.... i know i need to be useful....and i try to do that by showing what i think is driving the market ....

one thing thats always good in my field is lots of pictures....we love the stuff!!! and want to see it in others hands....what they are showing how etc etc....
im so local sometimes i wonder if it isnt just a vanity thing...but then someone comes and really spends...and the blogs help ...they tell me...

vangogh
10-03-2009, 02:52 AM
Ann one great use of a blog is being able to interact with your customers so you can anticipate those trends. I get the feeling you're good at the interaction thing with your customers.

I don't think being local has to be a limitation when blogging. People who are local to you do read blogs after all. In your case maybe you aren't trying to get the person in California to read, but it can be a great way for you to keep a conversation going with your customers when they're not in the store and allow you to interact with them between purchases. If anything they're going to be more likely to buy something and come in more often if you're talking to each other through your blog.

aussieroo1
10-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Make sure you enjoy writing your articles so that your readers also have fun reading them and make your readers look forward to the next post. There are a lot of blogs out there, so make sure that your blog stands out from the rest.

vangogh
10-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Absolutely. Running a blog is hard work and if you're not enjoying it, it really shows. Good advice too about making your audience want more. If they can't wait till your next post once they've finished your current one it's a great sign you have a successful blog.

greenoak
12-01-2009, 07:26 PM
my son just started a business blog.... to work in conjunction withall our other stuff... ...and is getting about 20 hits a day in his first week....generated from my blog the stores site and our facebook..and his wifes facebook......
he did something completely different...a trick....balanced a big bench on his head!!! Jon's Decorator Approved Picks (http://www.jonsdecoratorapprovedpicks.blogspot.com) ...the serious part is he is making us show whats in right now....which we should have been doing a long time ago....
his wife , our webmistress , does the writing and tekk work.......
ann

KristineS
12-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Ann,

That's a nice blog and he's got the right idea. Give it a personality and make it a place that people want to visit again.

Can't believe he actually balanced the bench though. That looks heavy.