PDA

View Full Version : Who to Invoice?

Fulcrum
10-22-2015, 08:25 PM
This week I landed the service work for a "new" customer (4 mills under a larger umbrella and I'm in one already). After speaking with the operators to learn the issues that they have been fighting with (primarily delivery times) I took a nice size load back to the shop.

After spending a good hour cleaning what I brought back, I start the usual routine of inspecting to see what needs to be done. 2 hours later over a third of the work has been marked and put off to the side as scrap (don't want to spend the customer's money on junk). These blades were so bad that I had to open up my specs so that I didn't pull every blade out of service.

Now, what makes this story worse is that these blades were last serviced (over the past 12-18 months) by a "professional" CNC shop. Every. Single. Problem ... on these blades was caused by poor quality control in the "professional" CNC shop. Mismatched clearance on teeth, too low clearance, flex in setup pushing the tooth away from wheel when grinding resulting in a convex shape rather than a smooth taper, special carbide wiper slot to clear sawdust that was wider than the the tooth, finishes that were so rough I could count the ridges with my fingernail (used to fail tooling that had this appearance under a 40x microscope), etc. Worst of all, these blades had their diameters reduced by up to 5/8" (16mm for those who use metric) and would no longer make a full depth cut. Things were so bad that I went beyond frustration and started laughing (maybe I should see a shrink about that) and almost feel ashamed to call them a competitor.

Am I allowed to invoice the other shop for wasting my time, my customer's money, and severely gimping the throughput that my customer needs to produce so they remain competitive?

Freelancier
10-22-2015, 10:23 PM
Obviously, no. You do not have a business relationship with the other shop, so you have nothing there. The customer, on the other hand, could have you document what you found and use it for a civil suit to replace the blades they destroyed.

vangogh
10-25-2015, 11:04 AM
I have to agree with Freelancer. You don't have a relationship with that shop so how could you invoice them. What would compel them to pay you and how would you ever collect the invoice? It's possible your customer can get their money back because they were sold something different from what they were promised, but I don't see how you could invoice a company that wasn't part of the transaction.

Fulcrum
10-25-2015, 11:36 AM
I wrote that with my tongue firmly stuck in my cheek. Of course I can't invoice a competitor even though I want to. Actually, I think it would be a very bad move on my part as it would probably show them what they are doing wrong and give them incentive to fix the problems.

I am debating on taking lots of pictures and using them on a website (when I decide to get one up and running) as a partial definition of what I would call scrap on a first run from new customers.