PDA

View Full Version : Microcopy

vangogh
06-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Found a good post on writing microcopy (http://bokardo.com/archives/writing-microcopy/). Microcopy is what it sounds like. Small bits of copy that can have a huge impact on your success. A sentence here, a phrase there. It might not seem like it, but just a few words can really impact whether or not someone fills out a form or clicks to buy.

The article has two examples. I'll share one here about a message how the site takes paypal. Instead of simply saying:

Transactions are handled through PayPal

the site has

Transactions are handled through PayPal, but you don't need a PayPal account to buy..

Can you see how those few simple words overcome the objections of some potential buyers and consequently would get more people to buy?

Do you have similar microcopy examples to share?

orion_joel
06-13-2009, 02:38 AM
No examples at this point, but i would say that Microcopy, will be if it is not already one of big things to catch on. Twitter, is probably the biggest market for people needing microcopy. Essentially a part of it is distilling the concept of an article down to 140 characters less the link.

vangogh
06-13-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure this has to be a Twitter thing or a 140 characters of less thing either. I see it more as small lines of copy on your site that go a long way toward getting someone to take action.

For example adding "we value your privacy" or "we hate spam will never give out your email" placed near a form asking for your email helps convince people to give you their email.

Twitter can probably help you write better microcopy as you have to get more from each word given the character limits.

KristineS
06-15-2009, 06:22 PM
One of the best pieces of microcopy and one that has been proven to increase conversions is "This site secured by..." Obviously, there would be a company name there, but there have been studies done which show that simply having that line on your checkout page can increase conversions dramatically.

vangogh
06-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Good example. I think that line works especially well when placed right where a person will be entering their credit card or other sensitive info, prior to submitting.

KristineS
06-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Another one that's been tried with newsletter sign-ups is "Learn about sales and specials first". It is used rather than "sign up for our newsletter" or something similar. If people think they're going to get a heads up on sales before other people do, they might be more inclined to part with their e-mail.

painperdu
06-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Yes, I remember buying things because of those little words of comfort/confidence. They help to push the decision maker into action.

In a restaurant the customer will even give you a clue that she wants to be coaxed into buying something extra. They'll say their objection out loud. For instance, a lady finished ordering her large entree but tells the waiter I'd like the salad but I'll never eat all of it. A good waiter may comfort the purchase by offering to package half the salad so that she may have it for lunch the next day.

I guess microcopy serves the same function as handling possible sales objections. The key, as far as websites go, would be to anticipate these little objections.

vangogh
06-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Good example with the waiter. You're right it is about overcoming objections at that decision making moment. With websites I think you have to identify the objection and where that objection is likely to take place.

KristineS
06-17-2009, 01:37 PM
I think you also have to beware of explaining too much. Take web security for instance. A short little phrase will be all most people need. If you go into a big, long explanation, it may have a different effect than you intended it to have. Customers are just looking for reassurance, they don't really need to know in detail how you're keeping their information secure.

painperdu
06-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Come to think of it, isn't that the crux of all successful social communications -the ability to say just the right thing at just the right time?

vangogh
06-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Good point. It's funny how you need both too. The right thing at the wrong time can lead to failure as much as the wrong thing at any time.

Dan Furman
06-19-2009, 10:21 PM
I think you also have to beware of explaining too much. Take web security for instance. A short little phrase will be all most people need. If you go into a big, long explanation, it may have a different effect than you intended it to have. Customers are just looking for reassurance, they don't really need to know in detail how you're keeping their information secure.

This can be soooo hard to avoid, too. People want to explain everything, and it's just not necessary.

They say when you pack for a trip, pack everything you think you will need. Then, before you go, take away 25% of it. It's the same with copy - write everything you want to say, then cut it by 25% or more.

KristineS
06-22-2009, 01:06 PM
That's great advice Dan and so true. I fight that with my guys all the time. Some of our stuff is pretty technical, and they want to put in every little thing. I have to keep taking things out and arguing about what stays in.

Less often is more, and I don't want to crush potential customers under a load of explanation they really don't need.