PDA

View Full Version : a customer made my day today!

huggytree
06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
I did a bid on a bathtub addition this spring. it was a horribly slow time and i was counting on the job. i did a perfect sales job. He was a referral and i knew i had the job.

He called me to say he was going with someone else for $500 less..it was just the icing on the cake for March....i sat home almost all month.

Got a call last week from his brother...hmmm i thought....why did he refer me and not the other plumber? hmmmmmm

I had to ask him....So i went to do the job today and asked 'how did your brothers bathtub install go?'

He said 'my brother wishes he would have picked you instead!. The other plumber had to come back 3x and finally had to bring the owner to hash out the problems'....turns out they had to open up drywall several times and it was leaking from the 2nd floor all the way into the basement

Ohhhhhhh that made my day.....$500 was alot to be beat by on this project.. i knew something wasnt quite right....i always wonder what happened on these jobs where i get beat on price horribly...ive had a few which were 1/2 price. I wonder how they went

any good stories to share?

rezzy
06-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Sounds like a good "i told you so" story. And goes to show the best price isnt always the best determinate.

Ad-Vice_Man
06-10-2009, 11:22 AM
it goes to the old addage... "price is a one time thing, quality is a lifetime thing"

Dan Furman
06-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Nice story, Huggy.

I keep a file of people that tell me I'm way too expensive, that they can find a much cheaper copywriter, etc. I check their websites every now and again. In eight years, not one has made it past a year or two.

The file is only for those that are obviously super-cheap about it (I don't mind losing work to one I consider a peer).

KristineS
06-10-2009, 12:55 PM
It's a bummer for the customer, but I know there's a certain satisfaction in hearing that things went wrong. Also, you got a nice referral out of the deal, so that's just icing on the cake.